Italian Renaissance

Cuccagna

I will be applying next fall to doctoral and masters programs for Italian Renaissance art. I am particularly interested in taking an interdisciplinary approach with a focus on Italian literature (I will definitely be applying to Emory for Jean Campbell). Which programs do you think I should look into?

My current list: Syracuse Florence program, Rutgers, Emory, Umich, Uva, Columbia, Williams (MA), and BGC (MA)  

Thank you very much for your help! As I'm sure all of you know, it's difficult to sift through so many programs. 

Princeton has Heuer and Pinto, however, I'm not sure if my research aligns very well with theirs.  

artofdescribing: Thanks I'll definitely take a look at those!

Princeton has Heuer and Pinto, however, I'm not sure if my research aligns very well with theirs.  

artofdescribing: Thanks I'll definitely take a look at those!

yes, but Heuer is mostly Northern Ren, and Pinto is mostly Baroque architecture, and besides he must be retiring very soon, if he hasn't already.

I think Columbia or Hopkins would be your best bet for PhD.

Edited by condivi

Yeah, according to CAA Pinto has been the advisor for most Italian renaissance graduates, but I would definitely be better off elsewhere. Do you know if Hopkins has hired a new medieval professor yet?

Honestly, I think you could do this anyplace with an Italian Renaissance professor and someone who does Italian Renaissance literature in another department.  Big research schools should all fit the bill.

You might even want to focus on the literature person, and let the art history department come along for the ride.

I never thought of it that way, but I definitely should. Hopefully I can find a balance between the Italian literature and Art History professors.  

Thanks for all the advice!

If you want an MA from a solid, if not as name-brand, program, UC Davis' Renaissance scholar, Jeff Ruda, is great. He's a fantastic advisor and a delight to work for, and I think a couple years ago someone did a thesis that was heavy on the interdisciplinary work with an Italian Lit scholar on their panel (it's been a few years so I don't recall the lit person, just that there was one.) They're pretty good about getting people TA and reader work for remission and a pittance, too. Downside, it is a farm town and it smells like cow poo a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to the M.A. for Ren. & Baroque this past application cycle. The following was my list of schools:

UPenn

Temple U - Tyler School of Art (very rich Ren. program- Marcia Hall and Tracy Cooper are both well known Renaissance scholars)

Syracuse U - Florence Program (if you don't get admitted into the Florence program, the main campus program has Gary Radke-another well known scholar)

Rutgers U -Catherine Puglisi, Sarah McHam and Tod Marder I'm sure at least one of those names rings a bell from reading in undergrad

UMass Amherst- Monika Schmitter 

Penn State 

Hunter College-CUNY- according to an insider who was kind enough to message me- many of the Ren. faculty is retiring and not the strongest Ren. program although it has a great reputation

Edited by Virago

Megan Holmes at Michigan is a delightful woman and a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend everything about UM's PhD program as well--it has a very special place in my heart. 

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!

Virago:

The Syracuse Florence program seems amazing, especially since it's a great opportunity to focus on fluency. If you are currently looking at the umass program, I am studying with Professor Schmitter now as an undergrad. 

Flaneuse:

The University of Michigan's program is at the top of my list because of Megan Holmes. Have you studied there/would you mind if I pm you?