Should I email the chair of the admissions committee?

Tubulin

I know there's tons of posts out there like this... so please bear with me.

I'm a master's applicant, and last week I sent an inquiry email to the grad coordinator asking when interview/admissions decisions would be sent out. (apparently they haven't had interviews yet >.<)  She said that the committee hasn't said anything to her and to email the chair of the committee if I was interested.  Should I do it?  This seems scarier than just asking the head secretary or something like that... since the chair is the chair! And also since I'm interested in rotating with that particular PI.  Applications were due 01/15.  There's no timeline of the admissions process online.  I'm going crazy.

Guest HEPhD13

It doesn't hurt to email! The chair is the chair and it is part of their job to handle emails and phone calls from potential candidates. There are plenty of posts on here with helpful "starter" emails to assist in crafting your email. Don't be worried! Good luck.

I'm in a similar situation. I was told that they would make an admissions decision on March 1st, though I haven't heard back yet. I'm wondering if I sould email the contact and ask if he's made a decision yet. Or should I wait? I've had an interview and lots of communication back and forth, but I don't want to pester him about the actual decision.

What should I do?!

i only applied to terminal MA programs, most of which had deadlines between 1/1 and 1/15. i haven't had a single interview yet- just informal chats by email, phone, or skype with POIs. i was actually in the middle of writing the ASC for a program yesterday when i got my acceptance email, so it probably doesn't hurt to ask! as long as 6 weeks have passed since the submission deadline, there's really nothing wrong with it. worst that happens is they're swamped and can't respond for a bit.