Open House Attire

I know this might sound superficial, but what does one typically wear to an Open House? I'm headed to Villanova next week for the info session followed by a lecture. I assume jeans are a major "no"!

I know this might sound superficial, but what does one typically wear to an Open House? I'm headed to Villanova next week for the info session followed by a lecture. I assume jeans are a major "no"!

Thanks for starting this thread! I know there have been discussions about this on other forums, but it would be nice to hear what the norm is for lit people. Are nice jeans a no? I was going to dress business casual... skirt or nice slacks, perhaps a blazer, black flats. Would a dress and tights be inappropriate? 

Thanks for starting this thread! I know there have been discussions about this on other forums, but it would be nice to hear what the norm is for lit people. Are nice jeans a no? I was going to dress business casual... skirt or nice slacks, perhaps a blazer, black flats. Would a dress and tights be inappropriate?

Depends on the dress, but ultimately, it's quite business casual. It's what I wear to work almost every day!

I wore nicer black jeans tucked into boots at my last visit. No one seemed to think I was a terrible student because of this. I ended up deciding that looking nice but being comfortable for an all day visit was probably more important than freaking out about whether or not I should be wearing slacks or a dress or whatnot. 

Yes, I'm wondering how I should dress for my visit weekend too.  I'm typically a very casual dresser, so I'm thinking I'll have to buy some dressier stuff.  I do have a nice blazer that, when paired with black jeans, serves as ersatz style, but I still probably need nicer clothes for certain events (namely, a cocktail party).

If you can, get a list of events.  When I went to Nevada for visiting weekend, they had us both going to a reception at the end of the day and taking a two-hour walking tour of the campus.  I elected to wear a pair of dark slacks, a long-sleeved shirt, and comfortable loafers.  It was dressy enough for the reception, while not causing me to die during the trek across campus.  If it's just a general open house with no special events, business casual should be fine.

I have a pair of jeans that look rather dressy, and which I swear by for all occasions. That plus a nice button-down shirt, sweater/cardigan optional, and a light/medium/heavy jacket (depending on weather) should do just fine, I think. Unless you're going to law school or business school, I don't think a suit is called for...and you definitely do not want to come off as a foppish dandy. 

Thank you for starting this topic! I was just thinking about this! I hadn't planned on dressing any differently from my usual style, which is somewhat dressy in that I always wear dresses and skirts, but can also go pretty casual with regards to fabric, color, hem/neckline, etc. It occurred to me that some people might be dressed very formally. My plan is to pack things on the slightly more professional side of what I would wear on a regular day. I still want to be comfortable and have my personality come through, neither of which will happen if I wear neutral pinstriped biz cas.

Yes, I'm wondering how I should dress for my visit weekend too.  I'm typically a very casual dresser, so I'm thinking I'll have to buy some dressier stuff.  I do have a nice blazer that, when paired with black jeans, serves as ersatz style, but I still probably need nicer clothes for certain events (namely, a cocktail party).

Oooooh, I hadn't even though about whether the ~soirée~ would require something a little nicer. Hmm! I'll have to give that some extra thought!

...and you definitely do not want to come off as a foppish dandy. 

But what if I am a foppish dandy?

I have a pair of jeans that look rather dressy, and which I swear by for all occasions. That plus a nice button-down shirt, sweater/cardigan optional, and a light/medium/heavy jacket (depending on weather) should do just fine, I think. Unless you're going to law school or business school, I don't think a suit is called for...and you definitely do not want to come off as a foppish dandy. 

I might want to come off as a foppish dandy.

What's your specialty? I would wear whatever historically accurate clothing is appropriate.

Yep, this is definitely the way to go. Just be sure your frock is properly seasonal. You don't want to commit an Elizabethan faux pas. 

What's your specialty? I would wear whatever historically accurate clothing is appropriate.

Hahahah, wait, but I mentioned Toni Morrison in my SOP and I do have this Song of Solomon t-shirt: http://shop.outofprintclothing.com/Song_of_Solomon_book_cover_t_shirt_p/l-1021.htm. The other day I was discussing with my boyfriend what I should wear to the Open House and we lol'd at the idea of me rolling in wearing that shirt. "Guys, I REALLY love literature!"

Another option: wear the t-shirt of the school you are visiting. That won't come across as overeager at all, will it? :D

oh sweet jeebus i want those pants!!

...& then i saw the pricetag o.0

Hahahah, wait, but I mentioned Toni Morrison in my SOP and I do have this Song of Solomon t-shirt: http://shop.outofprintclothing.com/Song_of_Solomon_book_cover_t_shirt_p/l-1021.htm. The other day I was discussing with my boyfriend what I should wear to the Open House and we lol'd at the idea of me rolling in wearing that shirt. "Guys, I REALLY love literature!"

Another option: wear the t-shirt of the school you are visiting. That won't come across as overeager at all, will it? :D

so wearing my partner's animal farm t-shirt is *not* a good idea? back to the drawing board...

Fine, fine, be a fop ...after you begin classes. All I'm saying is don't give them the impression you care more about your grooming than about your dissertation!

oh sweet jeebus i want those pants!!

...& then i saw the pricetag o.0

Once you go Naked & Famous, you never go back...but that being said, I did get those on sale at less than half the retail price. I have a policy of avoiding retail by any means possible.

Perfect timing y'all! http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/autumn-winter-2013/ready-to-wear/alexander-mcqueen/full-length-photos/gallery/1

No, but seriously--you don't have to be overly dressy. In my experience, there's always one person in a suit at any given visit, and they always look and feel uncomfortable, not just because they're overdressed (and feel weird about it), but because visiting days are LONG and exhausting and one wants to be physically comfortable, too. You'll fit in fine with nice jeans and a dressy top. Nice shoes can help, too, but you'll probably be doing a lot of walking and will not want to destroy your feet. Just dress like an adult: be presentable, but be comfortable. Figuring out what to wear is completely stressful at the time, I know, but it really doesn't need to be. Remember you can always dress up a more casual outfit with things like accessories, jackets, etc. Throw a blazer on. Wear a nice scarf. Avoid the '90s grunge jeans. Wash your hair!

Finally, if you're a fabulous fop, BE a fabulous fop. No one will think less of you for it, and if they do they should fly a kite. Though if anything, avoid flaunting a number of clearly expensive labels; academics will be much more likely to judge you for visibly spending a lot than for looking fierce (we love ferocious frugality!). That is, if you're lucky enough to have expensive stuff, don't carry/wear the pieces covered in labels. 

Edited by Phil Sparrow

Yep, this is definitely the way to go. Just be sure your frock is properly seasonal. You don't want to commit an Elizabethan faux pas. 

Finally, if you're a fabulous fop, BE a fabulous fop. No one will think less of you for it, and if they do they should fly a kite.

Werk!

oGEPq.jpg

my guess is riverside will only be 80 or so for the open house, so I'd say jeans, nice top (ideally short sleeved), & lightweight sweater with a bag you can stow the sweater in when you're too warm for it.

or dress/skirt sans tights/leggings & lightweight sweater

my guess is riverside will only be 80 or so for the open house, so I'd say jeans, nice top (ideally short sleeved), & lightweight sweater with a bag you can stow the sweater in when you're too warm for it.

or dress/skirt sans tights/leggings & lightweight sweater

So for a guy: something like nice pants, and... a button down short sleeve? A short sleeve polo?

i'd probably opt for the polo rather than a short-sleeve button-down shirt, but that's just me. & yeah, nice jeans or khakis, something that looks presentable but will be comfortable walking around in &/or sitting for extended periods of time. & comfy shoes that won't give you blisters.

*or* a kilt!! they're the highlanders, after all...

ETA: i would definitely bring a sweater or lightweight jacket of some kind though. even if the temperature never drops low enough for you to need it (although riverside can get chilly at night), we californians *love* our A/C, so you could end up freezing inside a classroom or restaurant or something.

Edited by lisajay

*or* a kilt!! they're the highlanders, after all...

ETA: i would definitely bring a sweater or lightweight jacket of some kind though. even if the temperature never drops low enough for you to need it (although riverside can get chilly at night), we californians *love* our A/C, so you could end up freezing inside a classroom or restaurant or something.

No one wants to see me in a kilt.

Thanks for the advice... I never would have thought of AC.