How many programs did you apply to?

zapster

Number of Applications  

244 members have voted

1. 1. How many programs did you apply to ?

• 3 or less
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13-15
    • 16-20
    • More than 20

I applied to 10.  I wasn't really thinking of them as reach, average, or safety schools at all, since I know they are all so competitive and it really depends on fit.  I just searched though social psych universities across the country and looked at every programs research, and made a list of the places where I was interested in the research.  I then contacted all the professors, and ruled out places where the professors I was interested in were not accepting students. 

I applied to 10.  I wasn't really thinking of them as reach, average, or safety schools at all, since I know they are all so competitive and it really depends on fit.  I just searched though social psych universities across the country and looked at every programs research, and made a list of the places where I was interested in the research.  I then contacted all the professors, and ruled out places where the professors I was interested in were not accepting students. 

Pretty much the same but with 13 applications.  I don't think Social programs are ever "safeties" because they admit so few people that you are competing to be the ONE person chosen.  If I had better chances of admission, I would have applied to less.  It worked out pretty well: 1 phone interview (POI ended up with no funding), 3 in-person interviews, 2 acceptances with full funding.  Oddly enough, 2 schools that were interested in me were an awful fit.  Some schools I had great fit with didn't even contact me.  In other words, fit matters but it also doesn't guarantee admission.

I applied to 5 schools which is probably around average for my field.  I was originally going to apply to 6, but I was so tired of filling them out by the end that I just didn't finish my last application.  My adviser suggested applying to 3-4 schools that I had a strong chance of getting into and a couple that may or may not have been out of my reach.

I applied to 8 and was accepted at 4.  I received 1 rejection and have heard back from the other 3 schools.  I think 8 schools seems reasonable.  I made sure they all had programs that aligned with my research interests, and made a point to only apply to schools I would be thrilled to attend.  I didn't want any "fall-backs," because I didn't want to feel stuck in a less-desireable program for the next 5-6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Applied to 3. During the first interview (at where I will be going), my POI kept querying why I had applied to so few, which freaked me out. At the second interview, he finally told me it was because the department was impressed I had narrowed my search down to three schools that perfectly suited my research interests, rather than applying for more just for the sake of it / prestige. Which was a relief!

In hindsight, in some ways I wish I had applied to a few more programs (my original list was about 7), however, I chose the 3 based on ones I *knew* I would go to, if accepted, rather than, "well maaaybe I'll go there because it *could* be cool. I think it would have been a nice experience to apply to more schools in order to visit them as I heard a lot of people's opinions change (in either direction) after a visit, so I wonder if some would have ended up a better fit than they seemed on paper.

At the end of the day, I am going to my top choice program, so it all worked out & I didn't have the hassle of 293829 applications to work on. So it's all a relief!

I applied for 5 US PhD programs and 3 in the UK. In Chemistry I think 5-7 (American) schools is average, especially if you're applying to competitive programs.

With hindsight I would probably have applied to more places, even though I'm happy with the choice I made.

I applied to 4, and have 1 conditional admit, 2 rejections and still waiting on one! They were all online for a Master of Public Health in Canada. 

I applied to 12 programs (all high ranked and super competitive, 3 on east coast, 4 schools in CA). Accepted by one, at my dreamschool, so it's fine :-)

I applied to 4, after whittling my list down from a possible 10 or so. I get the impression that a lot of linguistics students apply to 8-10 schools, but I had neither the funds nor the desire to send that many applications. I contacted people at every department that might fit, and found three POIs who said they would support my application. I applied to the 4th more for its location, and like so many others have mentioned, I definitely regret wasting that application fee and hassle.

I ended up with a fully-funded admission to my top school, which was the only program that I found in the world that truly fit my interests, (and an unfunded admission to another program), so it all worked out in the end!

I only applied to 3 programs total, which I think is actually pretty low for chemistry.  2 were competitive for my division, one not so much but takes fewer students total, and all were only in the top 25 overall for chemistry.  I would have applied to a couple others, but I decided on grad school late last semester and had already missed deadlines and my chance to take the subject GRE.

I applied to 14 and got into 10. I think I thought most of my schools were reach schools. At this point I'm not sure what I thought anymore. I probably should have applied to less but I think my application got stronger with every school and the school I will attend in the fall might not have made a shorter list. I think 10 schools is typical for my field though maybe for the PhD instead of the M.A.