MPA / MPP Folk

locura81

Guest klf214

Sivan--I was also waitlisted at Michigan yesterday. I'm going to send a nice email asking about the # of applications they received, # placed on waitling list, and whether the waiting list is ranked. I'll let you know what the response is.

Guest SoCal
Thanks klf214!

Nope, I checked my status online-nothing-and have yet to get something in the mail.

Will keep you posted but I take it you are not going there?

Is the online appllication status website the same as the ones we used to apply (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nyu-sps)? I applied in mid-February (probably not going to get any funding).

Thanks!

Guest klf214

Yes, it is the same as the online application. Once a decision has been made, there will be a link you can click on to access your letter.

Guest SoCal
SoCal-

Did you try calling NYU? I did a while ago and the woman mentioned that emails go out on Fridays.

Well, tomorrow is Friday. I guess we'll wait and see.

Guest sivan2004

klf214-

I would love to hear what you learn. We'll have to work on getting some of those admitted people to go other places. JK.

Where are you located?

Guest klf214

The good news is I already know a couple of students that were admitted that are not planning to attend so I'm sure there will be spots available--question is how many. I emailed Beth S. and asked, but haven't heard anything yet. Michigan was always my #1 choice, but I don't know whether I should hold out or just go ahead and make plans to go somewhere else. I'm also considering GPPI and Harris. I'm in CA--what about you? What are your plans?

Guest klf214

Don't feel you have to answer this, but are you planning to send them anything to boost your case when they re-review your application? I was thinking I would write a formal letter to the Committee explaining my interest, but not sure if that's enough. What do you think?

You can also send an additional information that was not sent with initial application. Its best to offer new information that is not already in the file....new accomplishments, etc.

I work in college admissions and that is what we expect from our waitlist candidates.

Guest sivan2004

Where in CA? I grew up there, went East for school, and then came to Ann Arbor. My significant other is at Michigan's law school.

I am in the process of drafting a letter and then I am also having another letter of recommendation sent. Since I'm no longer in school, it is tough to come up with an "update," like grades.

Bummer that we won't be attending preview weekend, but perhaps we'll meet this fall ::fingers crossed::

Are you in other places?

Guest klf214

I'm from Orange County, went to undergrad at USC. I was also accepted at GPPI, Chicago, AU, and NYU. Still waiting on UCLA. I'm leaning towards Georgetown.

I'm in a similar situation--been out of school now for sometime, still at same job I was when I applied, no classes, etc. I'm sure it was my GRE scores that put me on the waitlist--they were very low. Did you already send Beth S. an email letting her know you were still interested? I was waiting for her to respond to my email, but I think I will go ahead and send her that email and follow up with a letter.

Did you apply to other places?

Fingers crossed for both of us!

Guest sivan2004

I replied initially to her email yesterday simply stating that I was interested in remaining on the waitlist and that I would be sending additional materials I have not heard back from her. I'm working on my "official letter" now and will hopefully get it over there soon.

I only applied to UM. I think that it was my Verbal GRE that made the committee pause, as my GPA and Quant/Analy all seemed within range. Who knows, though. When you only admit 80+ students, it is tough to say. There are so many soft factors that go into admissions decisions.

Sounds like you've faired fairly well in this admissions process, however. Good luck!

Guest DiverDudeZ

I was just told about this email from the boards used at the UT MPAff admitted student website. I have been accepted at American, George Washington, Georgetown, University of Texas, got a full ride and stipend at Maryland, and got a full ride and stipend at Georgia. I just found out about the Georgia offer yesterday when Dr. Kellough called me. Before the call, I had narrowed it down to GPPI, Texas, and Maryland. After deciding that DC wasnt the place for me, I was pretty set on UT. The call yesterday has completely confused me again because I have always loved UGA. I think its probably going to come down to me making a career choice. UT has a great international economics program whereas UGA has a great policy and public finance program. Plus I am seriously considering getting a PhD after my MPA and I dont know how the two schools compare in that aspect. Do you know if it would be possible if they would allow me to double in an MPA and MA of International Relations at UGA? That would be the best of both worlds and probably send me over the top. Any help from yall would be much appreciated.

Hey Diver, I'm an MPA student at UGA. I would contact both the IR and PA folks directly to find out about doing both an MPA & MA. I know that some of my friends who are doing the policy specialization have had IR/IA classes count as policy electives for the MPA degree. I don't know how much flexibility there is with this, though.

If you're thinking about doing a PhD after the MPA, you can take the PhD methods sequence in the Public Admin/Policy department. I'm in it now, and I'm entering a PhD program in either health policy/econ or policy analysis in August. The doctoral methods sequence at UGA is more or less on par with top PhD programs across the country in PA/policy.

Good luck w/your decision. All the schools you've gotten into are fantastic.

Guest DiverDudeZ

Pace,

How helpful has your MPA been in getting a PhD position? If I wanted to go back to school later and get a PhD in Poli Sci, Econ, PA, would the MPA be of much help? Would I still have to go through 5 years for a PhD? Is there any financial aid available for PhD candidates? Thanks.

Diver, I got into Johns Hopkins (#1 School of Public Health) and UNC (#2 SPH) as well as Emory (~#10) for PhD in health policy. Also I got into RAND (a huge think tank in Santa Monica that has one of the best policy analysis programs in the US). I had funding offers at all schools. I am now choosing between UNC and RAND. I am positive that being at UGA got me these offers because here I have been an RA (very good experience for PhD applications), and I have taken 4 PhD courses (econ math in the Econ Dept, micro theory independent study, and 2 statistics classes in the PhD program in the PA department). FYI the UGA PhD econ program is not all that great (low ranked and plus they don't even use the standard textbook by Mas-Colell for their micro theory class).

I also applied to econ programs. I was not very successful, and in all honesty, I did not expect to be successful given my profile. Here is what I have learned about econ PhD admissions:

Ad coms do not care if you have a master's degree.

Ad coms do not care if you have relevant experience.

Ad coms do not care if you blow the verbal or writing section on the GRE.

Ad coms require 780-800 on math GRE if you want to get into any top 30 program.

Ad coms require MANY math courses. Math courses are much more impt than econ courses as long as you've had

intermediate micro & macro theory.

Ad coms like to see research experience & publications.

Ad coms like to see LOR from famous economists.

Ad coms do not care about LOR from anyone who is not a PhD economist.

Econ PhD admissions (and PhD admissions in general) are VERY random. That's why you apply to many places and hope that a few work out. All in all an MPA will not really help you get into an econ PhD program. An MA in math would. Or maybe an MA in econ at a good school where you got lots of math.

There are some good threads here on econ PhD stuff:

http://www.urch.com/forums/graduate-admissions/

An MPA will be VERY helpful when it comes to PhD in PA, and also probably helpful for poli sci. If you go to UGA and you intend to apply to PhD programs after you graduate (in any field!), take the PhD methods sequence starting in spring of your first year (8120/8130/8140). You will learn regular statistics, linear regression, and non-linear regression. It's challenging but not overly so.

If you did a PhD in econ, definitely 5 years. PhD in PA would probably only be 4 years. PhD in poli sci I am not sure. 4-5 I imagine. With regard to financial aid, there is money available at most schools if you are qualified. Apply to lots of places b/c PhD acceptances are very random. You may be qualified but if your research interests don't match those of professors at a particular school, you won't be accepted. For example on a whim I wrote about long-term care insurance in my health policy admissions essay and a professor on the Ad Com noticed & called me up because one of her big areas of research is long-term care. Also, save up money (my 13 apps + postage fees + GRE cost etc totaled about $1500). And get to know professors well so you will have terrific LOR and so they will give you feedback on your personal statement.

Guest DiverDudeZ

Pace,

Thanks so much for your help! I will definately take all you have said into consideration. I'm heading up to UGA next Thursday and Friday and Dr. Kellough and Ms. Sperling have lined up quite a trip for me meeting with a bunch of different people. I'm really looking forward to see what UGA is like both academically and socially. I'm a little concerned since I will be starting all over again but thrilled at the same time. A little sad that I will no longer be on the eboard of the groups I'm involved with, but it gives me a chance to start over and experience new things. I have also been nominated for an RA or TA position so I'm really excited to see what opportunities await. Thanks for the help with the PhD advice as well. Fortunately I have some very close contacts with econ professors from my undergraduate experience (I specialized in China's Modern Economic Development and have worked closely with a visiting professor from the CIA) if I choose to continue with economics. However, everyone I have talked to have lavashed praise upon UGA for the PA and local government management, so I'll probably switch to this field (public finance or public policy) if I really like the MPA program, otherwise I'll switch to international economics through a political science program focusing on international affairs since I have been burned out on economic theory at this point. I'm familiar with the math requirements as stated, which is one of the reasons I didnt apply to graduate econ programs in addition to being burnt out. Fortunately my GRE score in math was great and the fact that verbal isnt important helps a lot since I majorly bombed that part. Congratulations on your acceptances to some great schools, thats incredible. Best of luck with all your pursuits.

Best of luck to you too. Enjoy your visit to UGA. I'm going to be in Santa Monica visiting RAND Thursday-Sunday or else I'd offer to show you around campus. Locura (the person who started this thread) can vouch for my enthusiasm in meeting with prospective students :).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cshsu

Hey, congratulations to those who have been admitted by the Public Policy or Public Affairs Programs!

Has anybody heard about the decision of Public Policy PhD from Georgia Tech?

Guest Kirkingburg

I applied late into the application process and USC and NYU were a few of the two schools that had late deadlines. I've been accepted to both: USC for the MPA program and NYU for the MPA in Public & Nonprofit Management & Policy. However, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two schools. Maybe one of you out there can help me decide. The school's rankings in MPA is not all that different (according to U.S. News) and money is not a factor. I'm actually from Los Angeles, so there is a sort of tension between staying in LA versus moving out to New York City and experincing something new. Another factor that I've been thinking about, but not sure if it really matters, is the number of connections each school beyond its geographic boundaries. For example, how strong is NYU Wagner's presence in the west coast and USC SPPD's presence on the east coast. I haven't been able to answer this question, but is MPA a type of program that wherever you want to have a career, you have to attend a school that's in the city (or region) you prefer? Any advice would be helpful!

Guest licy1900

I've been accepted to UK(#1), UD, and Cleveland State University(CSU, #2). Does anyone can help to choose one over another? I would probably forget about UK because of it's location; but it's hard to make a decision between UD and CSU. Any advice is much appreciated!

I'm actually attending the UD MPA Program. I also attended there for undergrad.

The research assistantships are a great part of the program esp. since it allows you to go to school for free. I am doing Educational Policy and UD does a lot of research in this area. Everyone that I know of loves the program.

I've neer heard of Cleveland State's program, so I can't advise you on that program.

If you have any specific questions about UD, just let me know.

Guest licy1900
I'm actually attending the UD MPA Program. I also attended there for undergrad.

The research assistantships are a great part of the program esp. since it allows you to go to school for free. I am doing Educational Policy and UD does a lot of research in this area. Everyone that I know of loves the program.

I've neer heard of Cleveland State's program, so I can't advise you on that program.

If you have any specific questions about UD, just let me know.

Dear toya,

Thank you so much for your kindly and informative advice. I heard a lot about UD's assistantships are very helpful and I felt sort of secure since you mentioned almost everyone you know loves the program. I am attending the MA in Urban Affairs and Public Policy Program and I would really like to know the job opportunities there for a graduate student. I am planning to participate in the intership program but I am not sure after I complete the program would I be able to get a job in Delaware or in the neighborhood say NY, Washington... Or maybe the intership itself is competitive let along a career in Delaware?