MPA / MPP Folk

locura81

Because internship is a requirement for the MPA program, there are a lot of opportunities for internships. Quite a few students complete internships in Delaware due to convenience. I intend on completing an internship in DC or near my bf. For MPA, the internship must be paid and challenging. I spoke to the internship coordinator who was pretty helpful. His name is Dr. James Flynn, jflynn@udel.edu

Also, on the the school website, they list recent internships. They also have profiles of students.

http://www.ipa.udel.edu/education/inter ... ments.html

If you have any other questions, just let me know

Guest DiverDudeZ

Pace,

Know it's been a long time and dont know if you even check the board anymore, but thought I'd let you know that I FELL IN LOVE with UGA! I'm moving up to Athens in August and will be a TA there. The administration and faculty are great and I think I will fit in well. Sorry I missed you, I think you would have been a great resource there, but best of luck on your future pursuits!

Diver,

Congrats on the TA'ship / decision. I, too, will be at UGA in the fall. I had the same experience - the faculty,student community (I was lucky enough to have Pace serve as my tour guide:), etc. made such an impression, I just couldn't go anywhere else. PM me - it'd be cool to hear what you're interested in studying/pursuing career-wise. Plus, the more "familiar faces" in a soon-to-be new place, the better!

Guest licy1900

Dear toya,

I guess I'm not as lucky as you're. I wrote and asked about my research assistanship. But I got a very frustrating answer from Christina Johnston, Graduate Admissions Coordinator. " At this time, we do not have an assistantship or other financial aid to offer. We can only offer admission to the program without funding. If any opportunities become available, I will let you know." Do you think I should asked more or try to strive for it? Now I desperately need your advice.

I would follow-up to see if any assistantships become available. If any students decline their admissions offer, you may be awarded their assistanship. Just be mindful of getting annoying.

I would also looking into other options for funding at UD. There are various assistantships available on-campus. You can write 'Research Assistantships' in the search box and some may pop up. You can also look up research centers and ask them if there are any research assistantships available. You can also look into res life.

Hope I was able to help.

I was on the waiting list for GPPI and found out last week that I am off the waitlist and have been accepted into the program. However, I am deferring until Fall 2007 for health and financial reasons. My acceptance is contingent on me taking microeconomics and getting grade B or better, which I am sure I can do 8)

Now I just need to find $100k... :shock:

Dear toya, I have to thank you for your cordial help and support! You've been so generous and helpful. I got another news for you. I've received NYU's admission offer just last Friday. I felt so happy! But I guess there is no funding as well plus extremely high living expenses in New York; kinda intimidating. Where would you suggest me to go, regardless of financial situation? Would NYU's degree earn me more and better job opportunities, after it costs me so much?

That decision is totally up to you. It really depends on the program's format and if is tailored to you. You should also consider cost issues. Will you start a salary where the loan payments won't seriously erode your income?

Different people will give you different advice. There are some people on this board who would say go to NYU because of the alumni network, prestige, and possible high income jobs after graduation. I, on the other hand, turned down American and Johns Hopkins, because I couldn't' justify the loan payments. I definately couldn't figure out how to live in DC. I'm a first generation college student and I'm doing this all on my own. Even with a full-scholarship and stipend, I am trying to figure out my financials.

I would definately look into financial aid sources at NYU. You may be able to find an on-campus job where tuition remission is a benefit. If you were an RA in undergrad then consider becoming a Hall Director. Talk to your program to see if there are any NYU research centers seeking grad assistants, or any internships to earn money. If you can financially support your decision (whether youd decide to take out loans or find financial backing) and you personally feel it is the best choice...then go for it.

It is ultimately your decision, your career, your life. You shoould definately make the choice that is best for you.

• 3 weeks later...

locura81,

It's DiverDudeZ. I couldnt remember my password anymore. Anyhow, I'm also very happy to know that there will be someone I'm somewhat familiar with come August. How's your housing search going? What does your assistantship entail? I'm a little nervous about being a TA but really excited as well. Also, did you get that massive attachment from Brian Freese about orientation and such? Looks like we got a busy first week. Well hope to hear more from you. Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email or something. All the best and go dawgs!

• 8 months later...

Hi, I already heard from GW and got admitted to the MPP. I'm an international student and now I'm in the process of getting enough funding. UMD admission status website says "pendining decission". AU (mpp) only says application submitted as well as columbia (mpa). Where did you apply??

Hi, I'm new on this board, and I am just wondering what inspired people here to seek an MPA or MPP?

A little background on myself:

I am a recent graduate with a BA in history and currently working for a government agency in D.C. I am naturally trying to decide what my next step is and am thinking either an MPP or an MS in Journalism. As far as potential areas of interests in policy, I am finding myself most inclined to study education or health policy if I decide to seek an MPP. In health policy, I'm interested in how service is provided efficiently/inefficently, how to make our system more equitable, and how the U.S. can learn from similarly-structured health care systems in other developed nations, (eg.. France). I don't know as much about education, but I find the test-based accountability issues and higher educations issues very interesting. I have what I view as a lackluster quantitative background--haven't taken math since high school, if you can believe it. I have no background in econ, save some basic knowledge of macro, though I am beginning a class in Micro next month. However, I have a strong history and social sciences background and have a lot of research experience in those areas, including health policy. I am working in government but not in a job that touches very much on the policy areas that I think I would liketo study, should I seek an MPP/MPA.

Questions I have:

What should I do to preapre for an MPP or MPA? How do you recommend learning about the MPP/MPA education, aside from reading the program course catalogs? I've read that MPPs and MPAs get jobs in all areas of government, but what do people tend to actually DO in these jobs? I'm sure that varies wildly, so I guess I should say, what do health policy and ed policy MPPs/MPAs do in particular? What motivated you to get a policy or admin degree? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I have heard from two of my schools. I got accepted at AU and rejected by GW. I still have to hear back from GMU and Arizona State University.

I am going to go for my MPA because I lack econ and stats, which is funny because my undergrad major is math.

I want to study education policy also, specifically math education policy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I asked this question on another board, but no one replied. :oops: Has anyone heard of Ohio State's MPA program? This is the John Glenn School. I know it's ranked #42 on U.S. News, but we know that these rankings are not the most reliable.

How does the program really compare with programs at Duke, Brown and GW? I have been accepted at all four, but OSU's offering me the most financial aid.

I've heard great things about OSU, but if you have actually attended the program, know anyone who has, etc. any information would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so finally I received news from my last school (UMD) and was accepted. It took them five months so send me a letter! Too bad I didn't receive any funding. I really liked their program and it was on the same level as GW's MPP from my perspective. Got also admitted to AU, GW and waitlisted at Columbia. Final decision is GW. Though I have yet to find enough money to afford it...

If any of you people wants to share, go ahead!