Is it worth it?

Pretty_Penny

I recently got an email from someone at one of the schools I applied to asking to talk on the phone. Usually this would be exciting but...

1. I turned my app in in December. The deadline was Jan. 15th. They emailed me on Jan. 23rd saying they had my app and would let me know my status. I then didn't hear anything until late this week. I already have two good offers and probably wouldn't consider going there because this was one of my "back-up" schools. The professor noted in the email that they were very slow in getting back to me and she realizes I probably have other offers sooo there's that.

2. This professor who is interested in me is not my POI and the work she is doing does not sound very related to my interests.

I'm getting very worn out by going through this whole process while still being in school, so is there any point in talking to her if I'm really not interested? I just don't want to burn any bridges.

I think it's perfectly fine to decline interviews. I got an offer from my top choice earlier on and I had a few interviews scheduled. I emailed the professors right away (for one of them the interview was the day after) and respectfully and politely explained my situation and apologized for the late notice. They were very appreciative of my email and congratulated me on getting and accepting an offer to my top choice. I think most of them would rather have you tell them beforehand so that you are not wasting anyone's time or leading anyone on than trying to go through it just to be polite.

If you have the time, I would say why not?

Obviously I don't know the whole story, but at the school I am interviewing at next week it is the director of clinical training that e-mails about interviews and such, even though she is not my POI who I have been dealing with.

It never hurts to try and keep communication open I assume.

If you have the time, I would say why not?

Obviously I don't know the whole story, but at the school I am interviewing at next week it is the director of clinical training that e-mails about interviews and such, even though she is not my POI who I have been dealing with.

It never hurts to try and keep communication open I assume.

I had offers early as well and my supervisor that I currently work for encouraged me to go, if not for the experience, for the networking. If you are at all interested in their research you could possibly want to collaborate with them later. However, if you are burnt out and don't have the time to commit, by all means respectfully decline. Tough call though!