Visit question

dirkduck

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some general advice for my situation. I am going to be attending the visitation day for my top choice school. I'm currently on the waitlist, but was invited recently after finding out, either because they were planning on inviting waitlistee's in addition to the acceptees, or possibly because I reaffirmed my interest in the program (in other words, I don't know if the visit is aimed more at waitlisted people or selling the program to accepted students). Regardless, being as the visit is not for interviews, I am just trying to prepare for it as best I can, being as I do not really know what to expect. From the schedule, it looks like most of the day is spent going to and from each faculty member (the faculty is small), in addition to an orientation.

Does anyone have any experiences or advice they would like to share concerning this type of situation? I do not consider interviews one of my strong points, and am not expecting to be faced with such questions, but is there anything else to be ready for in particular? Thanks!

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some general advice for my situation. I am going to be attending the visitation day for my top choice school. I'm currently on the waitlist, but was invited recently after finding out, either because they were planning on inviting waitlistee's in addition to the acceptees, or possibly because I reaffirmed my interest in the program (in other words, I don't know if the visit is aimed more at waitlisted people or selling the program to accepted students). Regardless, being as the visit is not for interviews, I am just trying to prepare for it as best I can, being as I do not really know what to expect. From the schedule, it looks like most of the day is spent going to and from each faculty member (the faculty is small), in addition to an orientation.

Does anyone have any experiences or advice they would like to share concerning this type of situation? I do not consider interviews one of my strong points, and am not expecting to be faced with such questions, but is there anything else to be ready for in particular? Thanks!

I have not gone to any interviews or open houses (view my meager decision count below), but think you have a great opportunity here. If I were you, I would be sure to literally study the department web page, the publications of faculty you'd be interested in working with, etc. If a faculty member notices that you have really read up on the department's program--and their individual research, I think that would at least give you a positive bump. I mean, don't be a kiss-ass :), but it's important to show them you are interested and motivated. It sounds like the "round robin" one-on-one meetings will be a great opportunity to express interest in/ask some good questions about the particular research groups you would be interested in joining.

Hope this was somewhat useful. Good luck! :)

Hey,

I've been on two visits (in soc departments) and can give you an idea of the types of conversations you will have.

They are usually shortish (1/2 hour). They ask you "what do you need to know about the department," "what are your interests?" etc.

Sometimes they are awkward, sometimes they are super fun and interesting. For me, I usually ask what their research is about (if I don't already know), if they department is cohesive (no major fractures), if qualitative and more interdisciplinary approaches are welcomed, how supportive the department is (assigned mentors during the first year), usual time to completion, the recent placement of graduates, if there is funding available after the guaranteed years, if there is much co-publishing with grad students. Then, if the person I'm speaking with seems cool and we are getting along, I speak about other places I am looking at, ask them if they know much about the program and if they can draw a comparison--what are major differences?

I also ask about the town--if they like living here, if there is lots of do. A lot of times they have questions for you too.

Don't worry. I have yet to have a really awkward conversation. They are friendly and ALL really seem to want to give the info you need to make a good decision for YOU!

This visit will be a chance for the department to find out if you're right for them, as well as your chance to evaluate the fit of the program for you. Talking to professors are pretty laid back but of course you have to sell yourself and be able to articulate why you would fit in the program. Best wishes and it's a great sign that you have been invited!