Decision advice needed urgently!

Ohm

I have 2 offers in hand - one from NYU Poly for their MS in electrical engineering program and another for Mphil in electrical engineering program at the university of Manchester, UK. The first offer comes with a partial funding of $20000 for 2 years and the latter (a one year pure research course) comes with a funding of £30000 (tuition plus a stipend of £14000) for a year. My aim is to complete a PhD.

Which offer do I go for??? My mind says Mphil cause it sounds very interesting. Also, I will be working with one of the great minds of the field! On the other hand, NYU is one of the top institutes for a masters in electrical program. However, living in Brooklyn will be shit expensive, over which I'll also have to pay some tuition of nearly $10000!

Manchester is a pretty great school and you're saying you'll be working with a well known advisor which sounds like a big plus. Recommendations are important when it comes time to apply for a PhD. $10000/yr in NYC is not going to cut it. There's no point in going into debt when you have a great 1 year offer with full funding.

Manchester is a pretty great school and you're saying you'll be working with a well known advisor which sounds like a big plus. Recommendations are important when it comes time to apply for a PhD. $10000/yr in NYC is not going to cut it. There's no point in going into debt when you have a great 1 year offer with full funding.

Thanks teagirl! I considered asking for some extra fellowship but dismissed it considering the financial current situation in the US..

Guest HEPhD13

Thanks teagirl! I considered asking for some extra fellowship but dismissed it considering the financial current situation in the US..

Even though I agree with the UK decision, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER NOT ask for extra money-- the only thing they can say to you is no and then you are in the same position you are now.  Obviously, make sure that it is done respectfully. 

Even though I agree with the UK decision, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER NOT ask for extra money-- the only thing they can say to you is no and then you are in the same position you are now.  Obviously, make sure that it is done respectfully. 
Oh :P I sent an email phrased like a request for more funding, but ended up writing a regret instead :P