Boston university

Hi all,

Figured I'd start a post for those accepted at BU as a resource :). Has anyone received their acceptance package yet? I was hoping to find out the date of the accepted students weekend. I am also hoping this has info about need based aid.

I look forward to meeting you all in the future!

Hi SLP2013!

I was actually talking to a graduate student at BU a couple of days ago, and she said the admitted students weekend should be right around the last weekend of March/first weekend in April. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it could help you plan your calendar accordingly  :) . I'm excited to go to the open house!

I was waitlisted, but in my email they included the open house info:

"On behalf of the faculty, I would like to invite you to attend our Open House Weekend to obtain additional information about the program, as well as to meet the faculty and some of our current students. The Open House Weekend will include a reception on Friday, April 5th at 4:30 pm and a program of activities on Saturday, April 6th from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm."

I was waitlisted, but in my email they included the open house info: "On behalf of the faculty, I would like to invite you to attend our Open House Weekend to obtain additional information about the program, as well as to meet the faculty and some of our current students. The Open House Weekend will include a reception on Friday, April 5th at 4:30 pm and a program of activities on Saturday, April 6th from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm."
Thanks so much Jackie! That's super helpful.... I hope the wait list clears out for you!

BU is wonderful and I'd be thrilled to attend but, like with every school for me, it all depends on financial aid. Hopefully I will be able to make the open house and meet some of you!

Great idea to have a BU thread SLP2013!

I talked to Brie Goellner today and she sent me a flier with more info about the open house:

April 5: 4:00-6:00 Reception with current students and faculty

April 6: 9:00-9:30 Breakfast with students and faculty

9:30-10:45 Program Overview, Financial Aid QandA, introduction of faculty, grad student panel

10:45-12:15 Tour facilities, observe clinical sessions, interact with clients, tour research labs

12:15-1:00 Light Lunch

You can talk to Michelle Mentis during the program if you want to observe a class the week of April 8.

RSVP to Brie Goellner at 617-353-3188 or goellner@bu.edu by March 28 and indicate which events you will attend (that date might change I'd assume, Brie said it was taking them longer than they expected to send out packets)

Sounds like a solid open house to me :] I hope I'll be able to fly out for it and meet some of you!

Thank you so much Kozo! God forbid I show any sort of patience with this process lol! I keep getting worried that my mail just isn't getting delivered... The open house looks great. I've taken a number of pre-requisites at BU and have always enjoyed the classes as well as the professors teaching them... I can't wait for open house :)

Nothing here either. I am dying to go to BU but didn't receive any sort of scholarship. I asked Michelle Mentis if the scholarships of those who turn down their offers will be offered to those of us who were not originally offered one, and she said they aren't in a position to offer more scholarships. Seems like an odd answer to me...

I also haven't gotten anything yet. I sent an e-mail to Michelle Mentis for an update on when packages will be mailed. I'll let you all know if I get any reponse...

Hey Magenta, Ocaamstoothbrush, SLP2013,

I'm in a similar boat here, waiting on scholarship stuff from BU. I did get one from MGH and am 95% leaning there. 

Have any of you made a decision yet?

I am in the process of visiting all of my schools before I make a decision. I think BU is my first choice but it is hard to consider choosing such an expensive school when I got into such great and affordable ones like the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.

BU is my top choice... I was given a merit scholarship which definitely helps to swallow the cost of their tuition. I'm so excited to get my packet from there.. I keep checking the mail every day! I also live in Boston so hopefully it came today :) Thanks for all the info! I hope to see all of you/meet you at the open house :)

so looks like bu financial info is due april 1st which is interesting considering the visit days arent even until the 5th and 6th. should we fill it out even if we aren't sure yet where we will be attending?

or..is this a fafsa thing that financial info for all places is due on the 1st?

Edited by speech310

Also still don't have my packet. I'm kind of surprised it's taking this long. Can someone who has theirs say what's in it? Is it just basic information?

Yes, it's just basic information. Classes offered in the summer, information on BU and Sargent, information on financial aid, information on housing around the Boston area, and a little card that you send in if you decline their offer. It also says that the open house is on April 5-6, and to RSVP by March 28 to Brie Goellner. If you need any other information, just post and I'll answer!

• 2 weeks later...