One-hit Wonder!

After months of anxiety and frustration over my prospects, I am happy to announce that things took a turn for the better and I was accepted to an excellent PhD program that's just right for me! Yaaay! :D

But as much as I'm so, so, so happy (thankful, relieved, etc.) about this, the awkwardness of having a single acceptance to my name has already begun to manifest itself in my daily life, and I was wondering if any of you in my situation are having a similar experience. Ok, for example, friends and relatives: after they're finished oohing and aahing over the name of my school, they want to know "Where else?" Um, nowhere, that's it. What, didn't you apply to like 20 schools? Actually, 12 schools, but most of them have like 2% acceptance rates. "Oh." Yeah.

I haven't gone to the visitation yet, but I'm already slightly nervous about responding to professors' inquiries regarding the those "other programs." Will they likely ask? What will they think of my answer? Not that it matters, but I just wanted to prepare myself for embarrassment, if that's what's in store.

Finally, I wanted to thank you guys for being so kind and supportive during this whole awful process! Best of luck to those still waiting and to those who have some difficult decisions to make!

Congratulations Boz!! :D

I wouldn't worry about what the profs will think. You can always say something like, "Yours is the only program I am seriously considering at this point." I should think they would be delighted!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I don't think you have to worry about it being weird. In all my meeting and greeting, I haven't had anybody put me on the spot in that way unless I said something directly about how Program X compared to Program Y or whatever. I think it's a very slightly taboo subject unless you start talking about your own decisions, preferences, etc. If somebody does put you on the spot, as lyonnessrampant suggests, you can just smile and say "It's been a crazy spring, but I'm definitely excited about this program. Tell me more about your research on..." Or you can say, "To be honest, this is definitely the option I'm most excited about." Nobody will drill you for a list of your offers unless, say, you're actively trying to negotiate better funding.

Go have fun!

I am in the same position as you and have had several freakouts. Like if I only have one should I automatically take it/are they crazy I'm not good enough, etc., etc., etc. So I don't really have any answers.

I did have an awkward moment on the phone when I was accepted. The prof/English grad coordinator who called asked me where else I applied "because they like to know who their competition is" and first it was awkward because I had already received a bunch of rejections, but listed one of them anyway and then it turns out the prof who called was an alum of that program.... And there has been no end of me trying to make people understand how competitive this is and how lucky I am to have my one acceptance and not none!

After months of anxiety and frustration over my prospects, I am happy to announce that things took a turn for the better and I was accepted to an excellent PhD program that's just right for me! Yaaay! :D

But as much as I'm so, so, so happy (thankful, relieved, etc.) about this, the awkwardness of having a single acceptance to my name has already begun to manifest itself in my daily life, and I was wondering if any of you in my situation are having a similar experience. Ok, for example, friends and relatives: after they're finished oohing and aahing over the name of my school, they want to know "Where else?" Um, nowhere, that's it. What, didn't you apply to like 20 schools? Actually, 12 schools, but most of them have like 2% acceptance rates. "Oh." Yeah.

I haven't gone to the visitation yet, but I'm already slightly nervous about responding to professors' inquiries regarding the those "other programs." Will they likely ask? What will they think of my answer? Not that it matters, but I just wanted to prepare myself for embarrassment, if that's what's in store.

Finally, I wanted to thank you guys for being so kind and supportive during this whole awful process! Best of luck to those still waiting and to those who have some difficult decisions to make!

Why not just be happy that you got in? Enjoy it! Some people haven't been accepted anywhere. Congrats :)

Yeah no offense but, seriously, you have absolutely nothing to be worried about. I'm sitting here praying I get in off a wait list, then spending the rest of my time fruitlessly mailing out resumes. I've heard nothing back from any possible employers, and with the economy the way it is, I'll be lucky if I spend the next year waiting tables even though I have a BA. While I'm not saying that my situation is terrible, you should be glad you were able to get into ANY program at all, let alone a great one. A lot of very qualified people were not as lucky as you this year.

Thanks for the congratulations and advice, guys! :) Again, I'm really thankful to have this acceptance and would certainly never let awkwardness--especially the kind generated by people who don't understand--detract from my happiness and pride. But now I'll feel more at ease when I meet the professors at my school, so that's good. :)

As I said before, I'm rooting for those of you still waiting to hear! All you need is one! Best of luck, especially to you, hadunc!

Hadunc-

I spent many months post-undergrad working at the mall. AT THE FREAKING MALL. My very supportive undergrad thesis advisor said it's a rite of passage for humanities majors, and not to worry. By November I got a "real job" that I was still overqualified for (they were searching for someone with at least an Associate's degree). Such is life. If I were you, I'd be scoping out some funded Master's programs and avoid the mall at all costs (but know that you might end up there for a little while, and that's okay).

The adorable puppets of Avenue Q expressed this best:

What do you do with a B.A. in English,

What is my life going to be?

Four years of college and plenty of knowledge,

Have earned me this useless degree.

I can't pay the bills yet,

'Cause I have no skills yet,

The world is a big scary place...

Hang in there. :)

Hadunc-

I spent many months post-undergrad working at the mall. AT THE FREAKING MALL. My very supportive undergrad thesis advisor said it's a rite of passage for humanities majors, and not to worry. By November I got a "real job" that I was still overqualified for (they were searching for someone with at least an Associate's degree). Such is life. If I were you, I'd be scoping out some funded Master's programs and avoid the mall at all costs (but know that you might end up there for a little while, and that's okay).

The adorable puppets of Avenue Q expressed this best:

What do you do with a B.A. in English,

What is my life going to be?

Four years of college and plenty of knowledge,

Have earned me this useless degree.

I can't pay the bills yet,

'Cause I have no skills yet,

The world is a big scary place...

lol. Yeah, yeah.

But later they sing:

"I wish I could go back to college..."

Bet you don't hear that from many engineers. :-P

I'm in a similar position -- I got into my top choice program and one other school that was around the bottom of the pile -- and to be honest, I'm glad it worked out this way. I knew I was a good fit for the school I'm going to, and really, really wanted to go there. The other schools -- screw em. Things happen for a reason (I'm a huge believer in karma and partial paths etc etc), so if I'm meant to go to BC, all the better!

And if any profs ask me to list schools or something to that extent, I think replying something along the times of "this is the program I'm most excited about" is the best choice. That and I told Robert Stanton I was going to attend *when he called.* So much for subtlety. He seemed to enjoy it. :)

Hadunc-

Seriously, and I had two worthless BAs to boot (Film/ English). I spent my first year out of undergraduate working for a reading program that only required a high school degree. Great experience, incredibly rewarding, horrible pay, red tape at every angle. That first year I applied to 13 MFA programs and was rejected to EVERY SINGLE ONE. The second year I moved to a major city with my significant other who did get accepted to grad school ( a very good school) and spent the last 9 months working a thankless retail job and sulking about how I would never get into grad school. I finally got the nerve up to reapply (this time for English with film and cultural studies), I opened a small credit card and put every application, ets fee, and postage on that. And I'll tell you what, It was all worth it, because now I'm in and every thing I worked for in undergrad finally paid off and now I can actually appreciate what it feels like not to be in school.

Hey, I applied to five schools last year and was accepted at just one. It happened to be my first choice for program (another was top choice for location). People don't usually ask where else you got in or where you were rejected. Just be positive and say things like others have said in this thread like, "this was my first choice -- I am so pleased to be able to work with top tier researchers in the field etc. etc!"

This is a frivolous thread. Would we all love to strut around and talk about how we get to make several programs beg for us to come? Sure. But the fact is we're in an amazingly difficult competition for a few positions around the country. We go where we can and if only one school thinks we're hot sh*t, then we're hot sh*t.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am also sailing in the same boat. I applied to around 12 schools and at last, received an acceptance from UB but my problem is that I have been offered a PhD admission as a self-funded student. I'm an international student and don't know if the PhD acceptance rate is poor only for the international students or is it for everyone. I'm really keen on joining the doctorate and do not want to lose this opportunity because there is no guarantee of a sure-shot admission even if I apply for the Fall of 2010. Do you think I might get any funding after a semester or two?