Who are you taking to your Admitted Student Days?

golonghorns

Who are you taking to your Admitted Student Days?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you taking to your Admitted Student Days?

• Yourself Only
    • Other Half
    • Your Kids
    • Sibling
    • Other Half + Kids
    • A Parent/Parents
    • A Friend
    • Other

I don't think anyone at any of the visits I've been to brought friends, significant other, or family to official visit events. I can totally understand why you would bring them so they can check out the city and help you make a decision about that aspect; but it would probably be a bad idea to bring them to official events, both because it is likely to be awkward for them, and because I don't think the schools usually expect or want anyone to come aside from applicants/admits who were specifically invited!

I don't think anyone at any of the visits I've been to brought friends, significant other, or family to official visit events. I can totally understand why you would bring them so they can check out the city and help you make a decision about that aspect; but it would probably be a bad idea to bring them to official events, both because it is likely to be awkward for them, and because I don't think the schools usually expect or want anyone to come aside from applicants/admits who were specifically invited!

I agree. Some people have brought their SO along on visits I've been on, but their SO definitely never participated in any of our scheduled events.

I agree. Some people have brought their SO along on visits I've been on, but their SO definitely never participated in any of our scheduled events.

never participated in the event? or never came along to them? I'm debating whether I should bring my boyfriend or not...thanks

Sorry, I guess my post was unclear. The SOs flew in with their partners and stayed with them at the hotel but did not attend any of the visit events arranged by the program. ("Visit events" = such things like presentations, poster sessions, meetings with the faculty, meals with current students/faculty, tours led by current students) I presume they used the time to just walk around campus or take a look at the city. Basically the SOs stayed out of sight and out of mind of the other prospective students.

If you and your b/f think it's important for him to come along and look at the campus/city, then bring him along. Otherwise it might be more practical and economical for you to go alone.

I'm going to two more recruitment weekends and have already been to one, and all the prospectives went by themselves. At least for the visits I've been invited to, they put you up with a current grad student so I would definately not want to impose an extra person on them, unless you have funds to get a hotel room during your stay, then your SO can check out the city while you're going to the planned events. Honestly, for the visit I have already been to though, it was so jam-packed with events that I had little free time so your SO may end up just being bored.

Most people from out of town at my recent visit brought their SO and in-town people brought SOs and/or children to socializing events (beach bonfire and BBQ at a professor's house). I brought my husband and children and communicated this to recruitment folks ahead of time. They had set up a room with toys for my children to play in and for me to nurse in when needed and gave me a key.

While I was in non-family events, meetings, etc. my family spent most of their time exploring, playing at a nearby playground, walking around campus, etc.