to those who have applied to Emory University English: why?

One professor, who you probably thought you'd want to work for, once drunkenly told a student that he only wanted her to take a certain course because he "wanted to write an article" with her. The course she took didn't end up counting for the distribution requirement he promised her.

No Latte, I'm very much a part of the program. In fact, I'm considered one of the top students. I'm disgusted by that. Yes, I realize it's easy to ask: why didn't you just leave? I'll ask you this: why would you leave a "top program" that pays so much? I have no where else to go. I have no interest in giving up the stipend. I have no where else to go.

Another professor, who ya'll probably respect, looked at students' potential composition syllabi and asked, "What are you good at?" The replies varied from rollerblading and wearing a jean jacket. These responses, one of them a Fulbright scholar, indicate how much the students respected the professor.

For those of you rejected by Emory: don't feel bad, It's not a good program. For those of you thinking about accepting Emory's offer: don't believe L. Otis's claims about President James Wagner. The English department is guilty of the same things. I wish someone had told me the truth from the beginning.

I'm also an Emory PhD, albeit not in English, but in a very closely related field. I take English seminars and work with English professors.

I'm also friends with many of the English students. My impression is that they are for the most part happy with the program. OP's opinion is far from being the norm. In fact, I am shocked to read these accusations, many of which don't make sense anyway. We don't know the context for any of these situations. A student's advisor might have prohibited a student from applying a language to his/her requirements because it wasn't relevant to the student's research interests.

So for what it's worth: my take on the English program is that it is collegial, supportive and filled with professors who care about the graduate students' well-being.

I know I'm entering a minefield here, but I want to hear more about this.  What's wrong with Bauerlein?

Not much, except I did try to read his Dumbest Generation a few years ago and was wholly unimpressed.