Being waited list! Really need help

Bigcat

I recently received email from one graduate school that I am now waited list for PhD position, and they will give me more information next week. I think I'm going crazy if I will be rejected or not. Is there anyone who has this kind of experience? How often have the waited list candidates become offered? Thank you guys!

if they told you they're going to give you more information next week, then wait until next week. that's that. waitlist acceptances, timing, etc. all depend on the school, the program itself, funding, numbers of rejected/accepted offers... too many factors change every round to find a real trend.

I'm pretty sure there is a substantial thread dedicated to talking about waitlists. They won't have any concrete answers for you because there is no way for any of us to know any of those things for sure, but they can at least offer moral support and share their experiences.

Bigcat,

I'm feeling your frustration right now.  So far, I have been wait listed at 4 schools out of the 6 I interviewed with.  And 3 of the advisors did not inform me of my status until I contacted them first after hearing silence for at least a couple of weeks.  At the very least, they should have the decency to send us a quick note to say, "I'm sorry, but our priority offer was given out already.  You are on the wait list" or something to that effect.  

I think the results off the wait list will vary from school to school.  I can only tell you the advice that my boss has handed to me, which is that it is still possible to get an offer at some point in the next couple of months.  However, I am keeping in mind that since I'm not sure where I am on those lists, it is likely a long shot for me to expect news from more than one of these schools.

Good luck with everything, you are certainly not alone.