Deferring admission?

Julian144

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with deferring admission to MTS programs. I'm currently involved with a service program in which I can serve an additional year, an option I am seriously considering. I have been admitted to BC (MTS), ND (MTS), and Yale (MARc). I believe that BC allows students to defer for at least one year. Does anyone know about ND or Yale?

I am also curious about deferring scholarships/funding. As I understand, most schools require students to resubmit personal financial information/the FAFSA. What about fellowships/scholarship money?

Any thoughts much appreciated! I haven't contributed much to these boards, but I am a frequent visitor and am always impressed with the support/excellent advice on them!

Cheers.

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with deferring admission to MTS programs. I'm currently involved with a service program in which I can serve an additional year, an option I am seriously considering. I have been admitted to BC (MTS), ND (MTS), and Yale (MARc). I believe that BC allows students to defer for at least one year. Does anyone know about ND or Yale?

I am also curious about deferring scholarships/funding. As I understand, most schools require students to resubmit personal financial information/the FAFSA. What about fellowships/scholarship money?

Any thoughts much appreciated! I haven't contributed much to these boards, but I am a frequent visitor and am always impressed with the support/excellent advice on them!

Cheers.

I'm not sure about the deferring admission business. But I am curious, when did you hear about the Notre Dame MTS acceptance?

I don't know about the specific programs you're asking about, but the information will be available on their website. If you can't find it tonight, they will tell you tomorrow if you call. As for funding, I have never heard of deferred scholarships and fellowships. If the money is offered one year, the offer is good for that year only. If you defer and still want the cash, you need to reapply.

I was explained by and admissions person once that while an acceptance is relatively transferrable for M* programs, money is not so much. As is so commonly noted on the forums, scholarships/fellowships vary drastically from year to year in many programs, based on economic conditions and grant renewals. I was told when I was thinking of deferring a year that I was guaranteed acceptance for the next year, but I would be thrown back in the mix for competition with the new applicants for funding. I ended up just taking the sure thing.

I have the looming suspicion, however, that if a school knows you're committed to going there in deferring, that they might not offer you the big bucks, since they know they can get you at a better price. Again, you'd have to feel out the department. My advice would be that if you're going to defer, defer at multiple programs if possible, to reduce your risk of getting the shaft next year. That is, unless they can guarantee your funding. I'd be sure to keep that it writing, though.

Thanks for the replies! I've been trying to get in touch with admissions offices but wanted to see what I could find out here, too. Funding will be a major consideration when choosing whether or not to defer...

I heard from ND on Wednesday of last week for those wondering.

Isn't it very unlikely that they will lower your funding if you defer? If your financial situation remains the same I would think you'd be pretty much guaranteed the same money? Am I wrong?