Fletcher MALD - Fall 2013

MALD

I also just created a post about the open house, suggesting we head to Boston early Sunday so we can explore a bit. It might be a good way to get to know one another and start staking out potential roommates! ;)

I also just created a post about the open house, suggesting we head to Boston early Sunday so we can explore a bit. It might be a good way to get to know one another and start staking out potential roommates! ;)

I'll be in Boston from Thursday the 4th through to the weekend. Definitely interested in arranging a get together. 

What's the name of your post DaniCM?

I would have loved to meet you all, but I live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so won't be able to make it to the open house...

I'll be in Boston from Thursday the 4th through to the weekend. Definitely interested in arranging a get together. 

Perfect! I get in Sunday morning at 10 AM and leave Monday night at 7. I would have loved to spend the weekend in Boston, but I'm skydiving Saturday!!!

Perfect! I get in Sunday morning at 10 AM and leave Monday night at 7. I would have loved to spend the weekend in Boston, but I'm skydiving Saturday!!!

Sounds good. And skydiving sounds amazing! Have fun.

I'm considering Fletcher vs. SAIS and Chicago CIR. I really like the consortium Fletcher has with Harvard and MIT, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Especially MIT, which has some great East Asian security stuff. I also like how its a little more academic, rather than emphasizing internships and networking (different strokes for different folks). My main complaint about Fletcher, and this is just me, is how they seem to actively discourage language study while you're in the program. Further language acquisition is a real priority for me, so if I end up there I may just ignore them and do it anyway. As far as the location goes, I think I'd be happier in Boston than I would in DC, honestly. I'm not much of a networker, and I have an impression (perhaps unfair) of DC as being full of status-obsessed people with huge egos...of course, Boston is full of Massholes, but that's what I grew up around, so its all good. :P Boston is a lovely town, despite what The Onion may say (http://www.theonion.com/articles/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-g,31554/).

Of course, I would also really like to spend time in Bologna, and its would be really tough to turn down both SAIS and Georgetown...I too would be interested in hearing what some other people have to say about SAIS vs. Fletcher.

As far as housing goes, it looks like graduate housing is significantly cheaper, so I think I would consider that, at least for the first year. Considering I spent much of last year living in a place with spotty running water and a retiree next door raising chickens on his balcony, I think I can deal! :D

I also like the option of the consortium offerings, although I am not sure if I will end up using that option. I am actually really excited enough by the course spread at the school itself - Fletcher has a comprehensive enough bulletin with a wide range of classes, and I was looking through it the other day and marking a class here, a class there.

I have lived in Boston before and, yes, it is a pretend-important town with lot's of undergraduates, so get ready to feel old.

I'm considering Fletcher vs. SAIS and Chicago CIR. I really like the consortium Fletcher has with Harvard and MIT, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Especially MIT, which has some great East Asian security stuff. I also like how its a little more academic, rather than emphasizing internships and networking (different strokes for different folks). My main complaint about Fletcher, and this is just me, is how they seem to actively discourage language study while you're in the program. Further language acquisition is a real priority for me, so if I end up there I may just ignore them and do it anyway. As far as the location goes, I think I'd be happier in Boston than I would in DC, honestly. I'm not much of a networker, and I have an impression (perhaps unfair) of DC as being full of status-obsessed people with huge egos...of course, Boston is full of Massholes, but that's what I grew up around, so its all good. :P Boston is a lovely town, despite what The Onion may say (http://www.theonion.com/articles/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-g,31554/).

Of course, I would also really like to spend time in Bologna, and its would be really tough to turn down both SAIS and Georgetown...I too would be interested in hearing what some other people have to say about SAIS vs. Fletcher.

As far as housing goes, it looks like graduate housing is significantly cheaper, so I think I would consider that, at least for the first year. Considering I spent much of last year living in a place with spotty running water and a retiree next door raising chickens on his balcony, I think I can deal! :D

Speaking of language study, I saw in the acceptance packet that they have some old proficiency tests posted on the admitted students site. I haven't been able to find them thus far- has anyone had any luck?

Speaking of language study, I saw in the acceptance packet that they have some old proficiency tests posted on the admitted students site. I haven't been able to find them thus far- has anyone had any luck?

No, but that's interesting and I'll try to look for it when I get a chance. My impression from the language section of the website is the tests are not that hard to pass so long as you're coming in with a basic proficiency.

So I actually had a good 30 minute conversation with a Fletcher alum today who had some very good things to say about the program (although I was disappointed to hear MIT has all but pulled out of the consortium). He said the main drawback of the program is its all too easy to get caught up in the flexibility and never really buckle down and focus on one or two skill sets, which leaves you way less marketable. Something to keep in mind. He also said those set on a career in DC are at somewhat of a disadvantage, although this is obviously not insurmountable...just have to do more work getting your foot in the door, it sounds like. He had good things to say about career services and the alumni network, as well as the vast majority of the students and just the education in general. I was happy to hear while difficult it is definitely possible to take a language. Hmm, I'm trying to remember what else and blanking right now (long day!) but will post if I remember anything else I've left out.

In addition, for anyone interested in the curriculum, I asked Dan in admissions to describe what most people do with all those electives and this is what he sent back:

You have the basic idea right. The breadth requirements (i.e. taking coursework in all three curricular divisions) and depth requirements (i.e. fields of study) can and often do overlap. E.g. you could take International Organizations to fulfill your ILO (international law) breadth requirement, and also use that course toward fulfillment of the International Organizations field of study. However, you’ll notice that some courses are listed under multiple fields of study. In these cases, you cannot use one course to count toward two separate fields of study, if that makes sense.

Having been a student here myself, I can tell you that the curricular requirements are pretty easy to fulfill with a little bit of planning on your part. While most students stick with two fields of study, it is very possible to complete even three (I would say four is pretty rare), though of course not required. I focused my first year here on completing as many of my requirements as possible, and that left me in the nice position my second year of having a lot of freedom in my course selection, and leaving a good amount of room to stretch myself and explore some courses that were unfamiliar to me. If you use this strategy, it will also leave you room to go much deeper into whatever your areas of interest are (e.g. if you’re an economics guy, you’ll have the freedom to get into the advanced econ curriculum if you complete your requirements earlier in your time here).

I hope all that makes sense. It’s a little bit complicated, but you’ll have a lot of resources once you’re here to help you navigate through all the requirements (and the registrar will provide you with a helpful checklist you can use to make sure you’re staying on track with everything) – I think you’ll find that you’ll get a handle on things pretty easily once you arrive. In the meantime, I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have.

So I actually had a good 30 minute conversation with a Fletcher alum today who had some very good things to say about the program (although I was disappointed to hear MIT has all but pulled out of the consortium). He said the main drawback of the program is its all too easy to get caught up in the flexibility and never really buckle down and focus on one or two skill sets, which leaves you way less marketable. Something to keep in mind. He also said those set on a career in DC are at somewhat of a disadvantage, although this is obviously not insurmountable...just have to do more work getting your foot in the door, it sounds like. He had good things to say about career services and the alumni network, as well as the vast majority of the students and just the education in general. I was happy to hear while difficult it is definitely possible to take a language. Hmm, I'm trying to remember what else and blanking right now (long day!) but will post if I remember anything else I've left out.

In addition, for anyone interested in the curriculum, I asked Dan in admissions to describe what most people do with all those electives and this is what he sent back:

You have the basic idea right. The breadth requirements (i.e. taking coursework in all three curricular divisions) and depth requirements (i.e. fields of study) can and often do overlap. E.g. you could take International Organizations to fulfill your ILO (international law) breadth requirement, and also use that course toward fulfillment of the International Organizations field of study. However, you’ll notice that some courses are listed under multiple fields of study. In these cases, you cannot use one course to count toward two separate fields of study, if that makes sense.

Having been a student here myself, I can tell you that the curricular requirements are pretty easy to fulfill with a little bit of planning on your part. While most students stick with two fields of study, it is very possible to complete even three (I would say four is pretty rare), though of course not required. I focused my first year here on completing as many of my requirements as possible, and that left me in the nice position my second year of having a lot of freedom in my course selection, and leaving a good amount of room to stretch myself and explore some courses that were unfamiliar to me. If you use this strategy, it will also leave you room to go much deeper into whatever your areas of interest are (e.g. if you’re an economics guy, you’ll have the freedom to get into the advanced econ curriculum if you complete your requirements earlier in your time here).

I hope all that makes sense. It’s a little bit complicated, but you’ll have a lot of resources once you’re here to help you navigate through all the requirements (and the registrar will provide you with a helpful checklist you can use to make sure you’re staying on track with everything) – I think you’ll find that you’ll get a handle on things pretty easily once you arrive. In the meantime, I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Solid stuff thanks! I was speaking to friend in the program today and she basically confirmed that MIT have pulled out. You can still take classes there but the process is ridiculous. While at Harvard, its a simple form to be filled out. At MIT, You have to ask the professor for permission to audit the course first, and then do an independent study at Fletcher. Apparently its very doable, BUT ONLY if you have a professor at MIT who is amenable. It seems like a major issue right now.

Solid stuff thanks! I was speaking to friend in the program today and she basically confirmed that MIT have pulled out. You can still take classes there but the process is ridiculous. While at Harvard, its a simple form to be filled out. At MIT, You have to ask the professor for permission to audit the course first, and then do an independent study at Fletcher. Apparently its very doable, BUT ONLY if you have a professor at MIT who is amenable. It seems like a major issue right now.

That's really too bad, since MIT has some excellent course offerings for what I'm interested in. I make still give it a shot though if I end up at Fletcher. Basically what the guy told me is that MIT was getting very little out of it, since Fletcher was sending way more students to them then they were to Fletcher (makes sense, since Fletcher is a way bigger program).

Is MIT really out of the link with Fletcher??

Not out of the link per se, but apparently its a much tougher process to take classes there vs. HKS. It can be done though.

Also, for anyone who is unable to make the open house on the 8th, apparently Fletcher holds information sessions every Monday, which also allow you to sit in on a class. I'm probably going to do this. If anyone out there can't make the open house but still wants to check Fletcher out on another day shoot me a message, maybe we can coordinate and make things easier for the admissions people :)