Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

Do anyone know if ALL the scholarship applicants received the "budget email" ??? The confusion with the fellowship applicants has made me a bit worried :(

No, but most do. There are a few isolated incidents of a person receiving an offer email despite not receiving a budget update sheet, but that's rare. Budget sheet = good indicator of at least alternate.

I'm not sure how being administered by Fulbright/IIE debunks what I said? Fulbright is not immune to governmental budget issues and has been cut severely before. in 2011, the Fulbright-Hays awards were all cancelled and the Mellon Foundation, a private org, swooped in last second and funded what would have been successful Fulbright-Hays awards. Granted, this is because of Title VI cuts, which is different than IIE. But as a former Fulbrighter (IIE student grant) who went in the midst of these budget cuts, even in a host country that is more than half funded by the host country government, it affected us tons - how much monthly stipend we received, whether we had extra funding for language study, etc.

The sad thing about international education programs is that it is always one of the first programs to be cut whenever there is talk of a budget crisis. The average American doesn't understand it's inherent value and will not support it over, say, money for "more jobs" or whatever. So all this talk of budget problems, sequestration, congressional deadlock, etc. is not a good sign!

either way, I still stand behind my conviction that the date confirmation email indicates that we were nominated by the regional selection committee and forwarded onto the last stage. If it seems odd that many of us got it versus those who did not, then it's most likely a response bias on this forum.

However, this does not mean that the final selection committee cannot override a decision made by the regional selection committee - which may be why they don't automatically send rejection notices. And likewise, it does not mean that the final selection committee will grant all those forwarded by the regionals the final award. If there is any grey area here, it's probably to do with how much money they can anticipate they have.

In other words, the date confirmation email does not guarantee anything for either those who received it or those who didn't. But I do think it serves as a fair indicator of whether we may see an acceptance or rejection notice in a few weeks.

Edited by Ingenue

What it probably means is that the Boren program, as a government institution, went through some major layoffs and staff turnover that left the program in a bit of a chaotic frenzy at the beginning of the calendar year (I think someone else mentioned sequestration cuts?). In other words, the usual staff person who would generate budget emails to applicants who passed the regional reviews is probably no longer in existence, or something along those lines. And if the program is understaffed, then it probably means they are eliminating midway steps like making small changes to our dates before doling out awards.

I'm not sure how being administered by Fulbright/IIE debunks what I said?

The State Dept (Fulbright) and the NSEP (Boren) are bureaucracies that disburse funds and select applicants, so those funds can be reduced/eliminated for the overall program. The IIE is not a government bureaucracy and administers many other things besides Boren. It's entirely separate and its staffing levels would not have been affected. The program changed because NSEP/IIE made some decision to alter how they did the selections.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak8VXdo5DCQmdHBKamV4b0NPa3hBRUJqRkxlZGdpRGc#gid=0

Edited by cm125

I applied for China Fellowship-- I haven't heard a peep from anyone, except for that Boren application survey. So this is a bad sign, right? I should brace myself for rejection?

Has anyone actually heard of someone not getting the Boren Scholarship or at least alternate when they got the budget e-mail. Last year, everyone on the thread who got the e-mail was at least designated alternate. Someone said the budget e-mails give you a 66% chance of getting it, but I've yet to hear of a single person who didn't get anything.

Hey all,

I just recieved a budget updat email at 12:32PM from Lisa Mayorga. (Note that I applied for a scholarship, so fellowship emails may be sent out at a different time.)

Good luck to everyone!!

Taesan, I saw the spreadsheet said you got a dates e-mail. is this different than the update budget e-mail we both got?

Not to further obfuscate the situation, but I am a Scholar applicant who received 'the' budget update email when the other scholar applicants did. Towards the end of last week I received another email from Boren specifically asking me to clarify a part of my budget because they had been "double-checking" mine. At first I found the email disconcerting because there seemed to be a misunderstanding on my proposed programs, but once I explained and heard back from them, now I can not stop speculating what it means. I guess we shall all know in the coming days--best of luck to all!

I applied for China Fellowship-- I haven't heard a peep from anyone, except for that Boren application survey. So this is a bad sign, right? I should brace myself for rejection?

It's obviously not a bad sign for those that received it. But, we won't really know if it was a definitive good or bad sign until they announce awards and we can see a correlation. So, everyone fill out the spreadsheet and we'll be able to figure it out in two weeks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak8VXdo5DCQmdHBKamV4b0NPa3hBRUJqRkxlZGdpRGc#gid=0

Taesan, I saw the spreadsheet said you got a dates e-mail. is this different than the update budget e-mail we both got?

Nope, it was not a different email, but because *the* budget email for scholarships included both an update to the budget and our start/end dates, I decided that on the spreadsheet I would input that I had received both a budget and a dates email. 

Hope it doesn't confuse anyone  :blink: otherwise I could change it, if need be.

Not to further obfuscate the situation, but I am a Scholar applicant who received 'the' budget update email when the other scholar applicants did. Towards the end of last week I received another email from Boren specifically asking me to clarify a part of my budget because they had been "double-checking" mine. At first I found the email disconcerting because there seemed to be a misunderstanding on my proposed programs, but once I explained and heard back from them, now I can not stop speculating what it means. I guess we shall all know in the coming days--best of luck to all!

What was wrong the budget part if you don't mind me asking? Did they say anything else? Regardless, it seems like a really good thing on your behalf! Let's hope all 'the' buget update email recipients hear good news!

The fellowship folks on this forum represent 3% (17/526) of the total pool.  I don't know if I can say that "80% of applicants" received the date email.  I just don't know. However, does the fact that we sought out a forum, and further posted on one, represent something about us as applicants?  Are we the "go-getters" that likely have solid applications anyhow, so the fact that we got the dates email would be a positive sign?  

I don't know what to think.  However, I am still hopeful and certainly anxious about the result.  

Back to studying for oral comps!

The fellowship folks on this forum represent 3% (17/526) of the total pool.  I don't know if I can say that "80% of applicants" received the date email.  I just don't know. However, does the fact that we sought out a forum, and further posted on one, represent something about us as applicants?  Are we the "go-getters" that likely have solid applications anyhow, so the fact that we got the dates email would be a positive sign?  

I don't know what to think.  However, I am still hopeful and certainly anxious about the result.  

Back to studying for oral comps!

Yes, I agree overall. But I was only blindly speculating, and my 80% statement is likely quite exaggerated, although I'd like to point out that according to the word doc 16 of 19 fellowship applicants, or 84%, received the dates email.

And then there's my situation....no date email that everyone else seemed to get but then received a very specific email about the Zulu program in South Africa.  I'm hoping that because they put the responsibility on me to find an alternative language program/center means that I'm still being considered.  I'm trying to remain positive but having dealt indirectly with IIE when my husband was going through the Fulbright and Fulbright-Hays, I know that anything is possible. 

The good thing is that this waiting will be over soon though I'm sure the days will feel stretched out.... :wacko:

I too received the budget udate request and a subsequent follow-up e-mail regarding clarification.  I wrote them back in detail last Sat and have yet to receive a response.  Due to the silence I thought I would shoot them a quick note to make sure the e-mail made it to its destination (and as an attempt to gently prod some answers out of them for a couple of questions in the original e-mail.) 

....Still no response.  Has anyone else had this type of experience (silence from Boren)?  How did it turn out?  Appreciate the help!

Regards,

Val C.

Hi there all!  Have been obssesively studying this (and 2012-13 & 2011-12) Boren forums for some clue as to what this whole process entails. 

My name is Val C, I am applying for the Boren scholarship to study abroad during the Southern Hemishpere year (March- Dec) + pre-session in Argentina at USal or UCC.  I received the budget update e-mail and a second inquiring about specific areas and seeking justification for changes.

Nice to meet everyone.  I feel honored to be among the few who make it to nationals.  Good Luck All!!   :~)

I too received the budget udate request and a subsequent follow-up e-mail regarding clarification.  I wrote them back in detail last Sat and have yet to receive a response.  Due to the silence I thought I would shoot them a quick note to make sure the e-mail made it to its destination (and as an attempt to gently prod some answers out of them for a couple of questions in the original e-mail.) 

....Still no response.  Has anyone else had this type of experience (silence from Boren)?  How did it turn out?  Appreciate the help!

Regards,

Val C.

This past week, I received responses from the program manager oftentimes within an hour of my emails.  That may be because of the situation I was placed in.  He was incredibly quick at responding to my questions and updates...

Hi there all!  Have been obssesively studying this (and 2012-13 & 2011-12) Boren forums for some clue as to what this whole process entails. 

My name is Val C, I am applying for the Boren scholarship to study abroad during the Southern Hemishpere year (March- Dec) + pre-session in Argentina at USal or UCC.  I received the budget update e-mail and a second inquiring about specific areas and seeking justification for changes.

Nice to meet everyone.  I feel honored to be among the few who make it to nationals.  Good Luck All!!   :~)

Nice to meet you,

I am also a scholarship applicant...I have heard back twice, once for the budget email and another time regarding my incorrect submission of my voting district. Haven't heard anything else since then, so I hope they're still looking at my application.

Hello everyone,

I applied for the fellowship to study in argentina. i received a date confirmation email a couple of weeks ago. I really would be surprised to be even named an alternate. thr director of my schools international affairs program informed me no one has ever won a boren fellowship. this thread has really helped curb my expectations and has brought me back to earth so to speak. Congrats to everyone who managed to even submit a complete application. Those letters of overseas affiliation were not easy to get for me.

Queenskid - That's sure nice of your program's director?!?!?!  That fact that you have letters of affiliation for the application is great.  It wasn't required, as many know.  I was able to secure one as well, and sure hope that it's a positive influence.  

To everyone else - did y'all have letters of affiliation with your apps?  

Queenskid - That's sure nice of your program's director?!?!?!  That fact that you have letters of affiliation for the application is great.  It wasn't required, as many know.  I was able to secure one as well, and sure hope that it's a positive influence.  

To everyone else - did y'all have letters of affiliation with your apps?  

I didn't initially.  But now that I've had to find an alternative program to learn Zulu, does my letter of commitment from the University of Zululand count?  ;)  I did mention in my application that I have contacts/mentors at the University of KwaZulu-Natal but didn't get the letter of affiliation because the schools were on holiday at the time of submission, it wasn't required and I was in Uganda up until a few days before this was due...

I included my letter of affiliation, but I already had it in hand for Fulbright. We'll see how this whole dates email thing turns out, because if that was a cut-off, then clearly the letter wasn't a big help.

What an awesome sounding name: The University of Zululand :) 

Yes, I submitted a letter of affiliation as well as a letter of language proficiency. Hoping these will help.... But, who knows anymore...

All this theorizing is making my head spin  :wacko:

I included my letter of affiliation, but I already had it in hand for Fulbright. We'll see how this whole dates email thing turns out, because if that was a cut-off, then clearly the letter wasn't a big help.

Good Job on the spreadsheet. I am glad that someone has taken the initiative. But after doing a little research it seems that some of the information posted is incorrect. Many of the commentators who have claimed to have received a budget letter for the Boren fellowship (the title of the spread sheet is indeed "Boren Results 2013-2014") are actually recipients of Fulbright, FLAS and in some instances alternates from last years Boren awards. 

In any case there was one person who answered "yes" to receiving a budget letter from Boren for the Fellowship award 2013-2014 year who seems to understand the purpose of the spreadsheet (no sarcasm intended). I found this information by running the usernames of the commentators through grad cafes search engine and looking through there posting history.

Good luck everyone. I really wish everyone the best. This is really a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Cheers

Edited by queenskid