Waitlisted: What's the gameplan?

johnguava

Greetings!

I've been waitlisted from UCLA's UP program. I don't know how to understand this, but what are my options now? Do I have a chance of getting accepted into the program? Or, do I wait more? *shudder*

They ask for unofficial and official transcripts. I'm sending them on Monday.

At this point, any pertinent info is much much appreciated.

Best.

EDIT: The final decision goes out April 15. I'm thinking of alternatives.

some people suggest emailing a professer you're interested in working with and seeing if you can strike up a dialogue in the hopes that the professor will 'nudge' your application through.

otherwise, you're forced to play the waiting game. Unfortunately, this year it seems like the waiting game is a lot less likely to come up as an acceptance given the greater number of applicants and the less number of spots most programs are dealing with. so, i'd go ahead and start emailing some professors. i'd say that you gotta fight for it.

some people suggest emailing a professer you're interested in working with and seeing if you can strike up a dialogue in the hopes that the professor will 'nudge' your application through.

otherwise, you're forced to play the waiting game. Unfortunately, this year it seems like the waiting game is a lot less likely to come up as an acceptance given the greater number of applicants and the less number of spots most programs are dealing with. so, i'd go ahead and start emailing some professors. i'd say that you gotta fight for it.

What would you say to the professors...as in the starter email?

I'm wondering the same question:

How to e-mail a professor of the program? I'm sure the recipient would understand a candidate's passion for the field, but how does one avoid being annoying? I'm sure at this point, all UP professors are feeling pressures from finals/grad-school decisions.

Best.

Just send them an email and thank them for considering your application so closely and supporting it this far. Let them know that you continue to have great enthusiasm for the program and for working with them, and that you really feel it would be a good fit because of XYZ. Then end by saying that you look forward to hearing any updates about your status and if they need any additional materials to contact you.

Hi guys! Happy to find other waitlisters. I posted this earlier under another forum and then I found you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

After saying over and over for the last week "I just don't want to be in limbo anymore" I got waitlisted at 5pm on Friday. At my dream school. The only school I applied to. There is some relief in hearing that it wasn't a pie-in-the-sky plan--that I'm qualified--but now the limbo continues. In fact they said the earliest waitlist candidates could expect to hear back is May 15th, but it could be as late as July 31st. I will wait. . .

Has anyone here ever moved off of a waitlist? Does anyone have advice? The waitlist letter was very formal and did not give much information (this is for a master's program), so I'm trying to get some details from admissions. In the meantime: Anyone else want to moan with me? Did anyone else apply to just one program?

Here's to hoping. . .

I'm in the dark with this whole waitlist process as well. I emailed the DGR requesting my rank/position on the list, but I never received a response. That said, the DGR did write that things would "work themselves out by mid-April", but I'm not exactly sure what that means for my probability of acceptance. Sadly, from my experience, I don't know a single individual who was placed on a waitlist and then offered admission. Like yourself, I've been waitlisted at my top university, so I have my fingers crossed. Here's to more waiting...

Just found out that I'm first on the wait list for political science at Alberta. I'm curious, do they normally send out more acceptances in case someone doesn't accept, or do they send just the right amount and normally fill open spots with the wait list.

Waitlist humor:

There's always a chance! And I found out today that last year someone got into my dream school IN MID AUGUST. Obviously, that would be torturous, but this woman moved up 11 spots! So that's 10 offers in just one track of the program, not so bad. . .

I also have a question for you guys:

According to admissions the waitlist "is a very small population of qualified candidates." They are willing to take an update letter in a month, but that's it. I have a legacy at the school, which I didn't mention in my application--he was a PhD and former professor there. In addition, a former dean might be willing to write on my behalf. What do you guys think? Is that ethical? Is it frowned upon? Does it even matter?

I felt like it was irrelevant to mention when I first applied, but now I'm paranoid other people are pulling out all stops. . .