Funding at second choice vs. No Funding at First choice

rokdrokd

I want to put a question out to everyone about a decision I have to make. This will likely come across as an outrageous question because the decision should be obvious.

I applied to two masters programs.

I was accepted to my number 1 school without initial funding. There is a possibility that I will be able to pick up a GAship but I would not know until June, well after I would need to decided. It's either number one or number two on any given list for the field I applied to, and I would be studying exactly what I set out to study when I chose to apply to any school at all.

The number two school has offered me a GAship with decent funding, not full funding because I am out of state and it's highly competitive for non-residents to get a full tuition waver. I would not know about having full tuition coverage until after making the decision, but regardless this offer presents a much smaller financial risk. Yet I almost didn't apply to this school because I would not be studying exactly what I set out to do.

So my question is, is it just plain stupid to give up a funded offer in favor of an un-funded offer, just on the premise that the latter is a better program/fit/etc.? It feels incredibly selfish to have such a predicament, but alas, this isn't an easy decision for me.

Thank you everyone!

Definitely go with the funded option. I think for most fields, it doesn't really matter that you won't do exactly what you were planning to do. If you are planning to do a PhD afterwards, then it pretty much doesn't matter since I'm assuming the masters program is still on the same/similar topic/field. Most people will not continue working on whatever they started in grad school -- grad school is just a place to develop the skills needed for whatever career path you want to have later. So, go with the funding!

I had to face the same question -- the school I have now decided to attend will likely have a GA and research thesis grant but I won't know for sure until the summer.  I got an offer of tuition remission + GA + $1k scholarship per semester at a second choice school.  The factors swaying my decision -- I have had to move for jobs, but I currently own a home near the school I have selected to attend;  in addition that same program has a PhD program that is a top program and is one I will be applying to in the future - attending for my MS could be a really great way to show my case for getting into the doctoral program.  Additionally, the school with funding is really far away from where my husband could find a job, so my commute to school would be about an hour.  For us, him having a job is essential for paying the rest of our bills (and his own student loans).  So, there can be a case where taking the funded program is not always the only choice to make.  Consider all of the factors at play in your situation and figure out what works best for you.  I'm taking my gamble on not having to pay mortgage + rent by going to the funded school, which pretty much would have negated all funding anyway. 

How comparable are the two choices? If there's a serious difference in term of course offerings and career opportunities, the unfounded option MIGHT be better - but only if you have the batman butler.

Don't get caught up in things like rankings unless the discrepancy between the choices is enormous. Instead, take comfort in smugly counting your pile of savings at the funded option. This is best accomplished while stroking a similarly smug cat, or rolling in piles of Monopoly money.

If you truly hate the funded option, take a year to work on your GRE/work experience/published goodies (depending on your field), and reapply. With a stronger application you may have more funded offers!

Edited by biscuits

Follow the money!  Unless the money is at a bad program that never gets any of its students into PhD programs.  But generally speaking, if it's a decent program that will give you good preparation, take the money and run.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this predicament!

I thought I would share my decision for anyone who has a similar issue, for no other reason than to offer an example. I'm in a specific situation and so is everyone else, after all!

I went with the funded school. I'm going to wait it out and accept the offer on the final day (March 28th), since it's technically possible that someone will turn down funding at my first, unfunded choice, and it would fall to me. After hearing the advice from everyone here, my undergrad profs, and even my POI at my first choice school, it would simply be beyond stupid to turn down a funded offer in my case. Luckily the differences in the MA programs are little and the research opportunities are surprisingly similar, so for me it became a no-brainer after some research, deliberation, and advice.

Thank you to everyone here at gradcafe for making this such a fantastic resource! And thanks to those of you who commented on this thread, time to find a smug cat.