Decisions: weighing curriculum vs. professors' research

Inspired V

As we near the end of March, many of us are busy trying to make the "right" decision about where to attend next year. I might be alone in this, but I'm so concerned with making a decision I won't regret that I'm stressing myself sick about it on some days. I'm very pleased with my admissions results thus far (although I'm still waiting on a decision from one school, and financial offers from one or two) and am now trying to move forward to determine where I'll be next fall.

I chose to apply only to schools that I thought fit my professional goals and interests quite well, which I think is why this decision seems so difficult. I'm going back over the schools with a fine tooth comb now, trying to find differentiating characteristics to help me make my decision. I thought it would all come down to money, but the financial offers I've received so far have the cost at about the same, so that's no help at all!

One of the key differences I've found is between the curriculum of the schools. Some schools have much more flexible curriculum, allowing me to tailor my own concentration with classes of my choosing, and some provide more elective credits to work with, while some are more rigid with only a couple of elective courses possible. Since I know specifically what I'd like to pursue beyond my MSW, I'm wondering how much emphasis I should be giving on the opportunity to take courses that are more relevant to my interests

On the flip side, the school with the most rigid curriculum has several professors who are doing research on my area of interest (with journal and manuscript publications on the subject), yet there don't seem to be any classes offered on the topic. At the schools that are offering classes related to my area of interest, I can't seem to find a faculty member who is publishing on the subject. At the Master's level I know that the professors' research might seem like less of an issue that if I were pursuing a PhD, but I do hope to gain research experience during my master's, preferably in the arena of my future career.

So... any tips on whether to prioritize the curriculum/classes themselves or the research interests of professors? I'm driving myself crazy thinking in circles around the subject, so any insight is welcome and most appreciated!

If it were me, I'd be weighing it by whether or not I want to get a PhD in the future. If this is the case, I'd probably choose the research components over the curriculum. However, if I did not want to get a PhD, I'd choose the classes over the research. But this is being rather simplistic about it, and I'm a big believer in "the gut never lies"... aka go with your instincts.

When I selected which schools to apply to, I looked at professors research interests.  However, upon contacting many of the professors at these schools, it seems that research opportunities are generally reserved for PhD students, which means that while I might be able to engage in research with them, it would be on a voluntary basis and likely wouldn't have a significant impact on my education at the institution.  That being said, there is a less prestigious school in my area that offers a concentration in my area of interest, which will allow me to sit for my licensing exam upon graduation (for that particular specialization).  Otherwise, I will have to take continuing education credits for that specialty, which will ultimately cost more money.  So, for me, it makes the most sense to go to the school that will best prepare me for what I want to do, specifically, as opposed to taking out a boat load of loans, only to need more education and more time before I can do what I want to do.  Also, being specialized will make me more competitive for jobs in my field.  My advice would be to contact the professors you are interested in working with research wise and see what sort of opportunities would be available to you if you accept admission.  If you don't think there will be an adequate opportunity, then maybe you should consider the schools who do offer you academic opportunities that will best suit your needs.

Thanks for the insight and great advice!  Both of you make good points, some of which I've already considered, and some of which I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

Citychild, the PhD element is part of why I'm torn. I've not yet decided whether or not I want to pursue a PhD later on, but it is a distinct possibility. I'm sure a lot of it will depend on what trajectory my career takes after completing my Master's, but I am considering a life in academia eventually. This is why the research component gives me pause... I know it would be essential to getting admitted to a good PhD program eventually. Yet I know in the short term I want to practice macro social work, so I know the curricular elements are also important. And unfortunately, my "gut" has good and bad things to say about all of my options!

MSWGirl, you definitely bring up a good point about whether or not the professors and/or research opportunities are available to Master's students. The specific professors I've been in touch with have made it seem very feasible for there to be potential for working together (one encouraged me to contact her this summer for research assistantship possibilities) but nothing is given. Several of the programs I'm considering have invited me to apply for their research assistantships, but it doesn't mean the research area would necessarily be related to my interests.

It's a tough decision and I know no two candidates are the same. Thanks for offering your perspective though, they're serving to enrich mine!

@MSWGirl 2013: Good point with the Master's students vs the PhD students in terms of research opportunities. Hmm...looks like I have more to look into as I pretty much assumed that I'd get that chance to do research with some of the professors of my choice. Thanks for the wake up call! lol

@MSWGirl 2013: Good point with the Master's students vs the PhD students in terms of research opportunities. Hmm...looks like I have more to look into as I pretty much assumed that I'd get that chance to do research with some of the professors of my choice. Thanks for the wake up call! lol

Yes, this. It's definitely not a given that professors let Masters students help with their research projects - if you're choosing a school because you'd like to work with a specific professor, be sure to check with that person before making your decision. 

I would definitely check.  And I would also say that just because you may not be able to get an assistantship, doesn't mean that there still wouldn't be opportunities for you.  So, you'd want to find out what opportunites they would be able to offer you.  : )