Summer Plans?

So I probably should have been planning for this all along, but I was a bit overwhelmed with my applications... What is everyone doing for summer before grad school starts? The school that's been my top choice starts in the summer so I have been trying to keep it open for that. However now I've gotten a pretty decent funding package from another school (no funding info from top choice yet) and am seriously considering it, but of course it doesn't start until the fall. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do for the summer, especially a bit late in the game as it is (a lot of places seem to have already had application deadlines for internships etc). I know I could just work waiting tables or at the mall, but I'd rather do something to help advance my career. Thoughts from anyone?

If you need to brush up on any skills/subjects/languages you can always take courses at your local community college. That is what I'm planning to do! I didn't have a quantitative background, so I'm going to be taking Econ, Calc and maybe Stats.

I think you're correct in saying that most internship application deadlines for internships have passed...at least for paid internships. If you're looking to get experience in D.C., you can always apply for the Washington Center summer internship program. They are accepting applications until April 3, 2009. Unfortunately, the cost of the postgraduate professional development program for the summer is around $6300. They may have some financial aid still available though. But if you're like many of us and need to make money for the fall semester, waiting tables probably isn't a bad decision, especially if you move to a resort town for the summer.

Depending on the school I go to, I may take a course in Macro at a local community college. I'm already brushing up my language skills for a potential proficiency exam - too bad Italian TV is awful.

If I get some funding for a school or if I decide to go to LSE, then I'll probably take an honest to god vacation - either a backpacking trip through Europe (yay for the Euro tanking) or a road-trip (yay for depressed gas prices). This is the last time in my life that I'll really have time to do either of those while being young.

It's currently summertime in the Philippines now. I am hitting the beach at least once a month since I applied to NY schools and tropical is certainly not the word to describe that place :D

Planning to brush up on foreign language as well... some Spanish classes I suppose.

I am continuing to work at my full-time job until the end of our fiscal year (end of June). Then, I'm going to go through the horrors of moving to my yet-to-be-determined new city. After that, I plan to go down to South Carolina for about a month to relax, read books, etc before grad school begins. My friend and I are also planning a pre-grad school trip to Europe since she will be starting on her MFA in New York City this fall.