Admitted students/Open Day thoughts

A lot of admitted students' days are coming up in the next two weeks. I'm headed to Yale, SAIS and GWU but will probably miss out on Fletcher, Chicago Harris, etc. So I figured I'd make this thread so everyone can update it with their thoughts as and when they've simply visited their chosen school or attended an open day.

I really think this open thread will be of great use now and for those in the future so PLEASE, PLEASE share your thoughts after your visits!

I'll update when I get back from GWU, SAIS, etc.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to go as DC is on the opposite side of the country from me but I think I'm going to make the trek out. I'll probably go to GW Elliott, SAIS and MSFS (If I get in). As someone who has never been to the east coast or DC, any advice for where to fly in and also where to stay? I'm on a pretty tight budget but I'm also having nightmares of trying to figure out DC public transportation the morning of the open houses. 

I'll be at the admitted student days for CMU Heinz in two weeks and Chicago Harris the week after, so I'll report back on those two. If there's anything in particular people who can't make it are looking to find out about Heinz or Harris, let me know!

I'm still debating whether I'm going to go as DC is on the opposite side of the country from me but I think I'm going to make the trek out. I'll probably go to GW Elliott, SAIS and MSFS (If I get in). As someone who has never been to the east coast or DC, any advice for where to fly in and also where to stay? I'm on a pretty tight budget but I'm also having nightmares of trying to figure out DC public transportation the morning of the open houses. 

I'm guessing Dulles airport is the only place to fly into? Too bad it's like 30 minutes away from the city.

I'm guessing Dulles airport is the only place to fly into? Too bad it's like 30 minutes away from the city.
Much better to fly to Reagan as it is on the metro line, BWI is far but also better connected than Dulles

Much better to fly to Reagan as it is on the metro line, BWI is far but also better connected than Dulles

Ah, forgot about reagan. That's more of a regional airport though right? I have to check and see if my city even has flights to reagan.

I'll be at the admitted student days for CMU Heinz in two weeks and Chicago Harris the week after, so I'll report back on those two. If there's anything in particular people who can't make it are looking to find out about Heinz or Harris, let me know!

I guess with Harris, I'd be interested in hearing about how the faculty is. I have two friends in the program right now and one raves about the faculty and the other indicates that the faculty is not interested, not approachable and basically he regrets accepting the offer. So a little confused!!

I guess with Harris, I'd be interested in hearing about how the faculty is. I have two friends in the program right now and one raves about the faculty and the other indicates that the faculty is not interested, not approachable and basically he regrets accepting the offer. So a little confused!!

I'm sure that's faculty dependent. It's the same with undergrad. You had professors that you could have a discussion with easily where others were a pain in the ass. 

10-year DC resident here...

Dulles is terrible because it's the major international airport and not connected to public transportation.  Reagan is by far the best but at least with BWI you can take the train into the city then metro from there to wherever you're staying.

10-year DC resident here...

Dulles is terrible because it's the major international airport and not connected to public transportation.  Reagan is by far the best but at least with BWI you can take the train into the city then metro from there to wherever you're staying.

Thanks for this! I have to fly in from London so I think my only options is Dulles..?

I'll be headed to Chicago on April 8th and SAIS on April 10th, and will try to get to Fletcher for at least some of the events on the 7th. If not, I talked to the admissions office and they hold admission sessions every Monday which also allow you to sit in on a class, so I'll hit one of those up.

Thoughts on whether it's appropriate to bring your spouse to Admit Days?  We've been married for nearly 3 years and he's making the move with me, so while it will ultimately be my decision as to which program is the best fit, his involvement is important.  I sent an email to one of the schools with this inquiry but haven't heard back.

Thoughts on whether it's appropriate to bring your spouse to Admit Days?  We've been married for nearly 3 years and he's making the move with me, so while it will ultimately be my decision as to which program is the best fit, his involvement is important.  I sent an email to one of the schools with this inquiry but haven't heard back.

Not sure why it would be inappropriate. Your decision completely. If his involvement is important to you, you should definitely bring him along.

I hope it's not weird that I'm bringing my mom. It's entirely my decision but would like her feedback since she's helping me with funding.

I'm headed to Fletcher, SIPA and SAIS. Maybe we'll see each other? Should we have a code word to identify each other (revolution?)

Hey Seekay, could you please provide me some feedback on your thoughts about SIPA and SAIS? I'm going to Fletcher's open house, but I don't think I can swing the other 2 because of work commitments. I would love some insight from those able to attend!

Thanks!

To be honest, I think it would be a bit odd. I'm all for the spouse coming down with you and checking out the school, the city, possible neighborhoods to live in, etc. But I think it's a little weird for the spouse to attend the actual admitted student panels and events. What questions are they going to ask? Is the spouse going to introduce themselves as "Spouse of Admitted Student"? Are they going to be eating food/picking up swag that the school has budgeted for admitted students? (The last point is not terribly important. I think these schools can swing an extra sandwich.) I'm getting a faint whiff of helicopter parent (spouse?), though I'm sure that's not the case for your situation. I just am confused about how the spouse's presence for the admitted student information sessions (as opposed to, say, the admitted student dinner or other social events) is going to help you make your decision. 

My future-spouse and I are weighing the pros and cons of each school together, even though we are applying to different sorts of programs. Our final decision will be a mutual one. But future-spouse can't really tell me whether or not I'd like the intricacies of one MPP program over another - he's not me, he won't be taking the courses, and frankly his academic-brain works very differently from my own. It's up to me to make a program-based decision (yea/nay/possibly) - naturally, he'll make similar decisions on his own programs - and we'll make the overall decision by factoring in our personal program preferences, money, location details, etc.