Going for an unfunded MA - Now what?

I'm really hoping I can get some practical advice about this. I've finally heard back from all the MA programs I applied to and was accepted to a few but ultimately denied funding from all of them. I'm seriously considering accepting an unfunded offer from University of Houston, though. Here's why:

- My entire family lives in Houston, I grew up there, and so I at least have a place to live for a while until I can earn enough money to get my own place. No stipend won't be as big of a deal if I'm not having to pay rent throughout my first semester or so.

- Tuition at U of H is pretty affordable, especially since I will be able to re-establish residency (I currently still live in Missouri where I got my BA but plan on moving back to TX in a month or so) - I'm probably looking at about $15,000 a year in tuition and fees, but I'm thinking I might have to use some extra loan money to get me into an apartment since I probably won't have time for a 40 hr/week job. Is it really that bad to use loan money to cover living expenses while in grad school?

- Here is the really important part. In a sense, I have no debt from my undergrad education - well, I do, but my parents have agreed to pay that off if as long as I take care of all my grad school debt. I'm very lucky for this, I know, but this also makes the thought of taking out 30-40K in student loans a little less scary. At least I wouldn't have undergrad loans to worry about on top of that.

Is it foolish to think that this plan might work? Without a TAship, won't I be able to find a job that I can work, say, 20 hours a week at? That would at least be enough to cover some living expenses. Ultimately, I plan to get my PhD elsewhere in a couple years, once I've proved that I can excel in graduate level work. That is when I will REALLY be concerned about funding. But for now, I'm hoping this plan works. I really have my heart set on starting grad school, and I really like U of H.

Anybody else in a similar situation? Let me know what you guys think. I need help!!

Hi there! My MA was unfunded. Here are some tips based on my personal experience:

1. Fill out the FAFSA. You won't get much, but you might get some state-based grants.

2. Only take out federal student loans. Avoid private loans like the plague. (FAFSA will help with this).

3. Scour the University of Houston's Financial Aid and Graduate School website for any small fellowships or grants they offer. You might be surprised at how many small scholarships are offered to grad students! 

4. Part-time jobs with schedules that do not change week-to-week are awesome.

5. Since you plan to eventually apply to PhD programs, ask early on about financial support for traveling to conferences. Presenting at conferences can look great on your CV, and some programs have cash stashed away for professional development opportunities. If your abstract is accepted and your school does not offer money for conferences, contact the organization putting the conference on. They will often have scholarships, knock down the cost, and/or get you in contact with someone to share a hotel room. 

6. Get out on time. Paying for two years of fees is simply cheaper than paying for three or more.

7. Work like hell during the summer, and save!

Hope this helps! 

Edited by proflorax

Thank you so much, proflorax! You offered some really great advice. Some of this I thought of, some I didn't. So this was definitely helpful. I don't think I'll need to take anything but federal loans since tuition is only going to be 15,000 or so a semester (and you can get around 20,000 from the Stafford loan, from what I've gathered) - my biggest concern is whether its worth it to take all 20,000 and use the excess for living expenses. For some reason I feel guilty doing this for a Masters in English, taking only 9 hours of lit. courses a semester but I just really want to focus on my studies without working too much. I have a bad habit of focusing on work more than school. But since I don't "technically" have any other student debt, I'm a bit more willing to do something like this as a means to an end - the end being a fully funded PhD, my ultimate goal. And I love Houston! I can't wait to get there. Let's just hope this all works out.

Thank you so much, proflorax! You offered some really great advice. Some of this I thought of, some I didn't. So this was definitely helpful. I don't think I'll need to take anything but federal loans since tuition is only going to be 15,000 or so a semester (and you can get around 20,000 from the Stafford loan, from what I've gathered) - my biggest concern is whether its worth it to take all 20,000 and use the excess for living expenses. For some reason I feel guilty doing this for a Masters in English, taking only 9 hours of lit. courses a semester but I just really want to focus on my studies without working too much. I have a bad habit of focusing on work more than school. But since I don't "technically" have any other student debt, I'm a bit more willing to do something like this as a means to an end - the end being a fully funded PhD, my ultimate goal. And I love Houston! I can't wait to get there. Let's just hope this all works out.

Talk to your financial aid office! At my school, even though I was offered $20,000 in federal loans, I was able to decide how much to take out; most importantly, the first year, I didn't take out my full loan amount, but I was able to take out the remainder later on if needed (Which I did because San Francisco is an expensive city!). See if that's an option at the University of Houston. That way, you can initially take out less, but you have the rest if you need it. 

And good luck! 

This is great advice from proflorax. I, too, did an unfunded MA at the same institution from which I earned my BA. It was in-state so the loans weren't bad, but it was great taking out just what I needed. I had a 20/hr a week job with a static schedule and I found it just right for the workload. Over winter/summer break, I piled up as many hours as possible to supplement my income. It was a great experience, and though I was poor, I was able to do better quality work than some of my overworked, underfunded TA classmates (some of whom took 3 years to graduate and were ultimately paid less by the hour than I was for my job), and now I've got a couple of fully funded PhD offers. I think not teaching as an MA student probably helped me more than a funded MA with a 1/1 teaching load would've in that I emerged with more polished work in a shorter amount of time. Good luck to ya!

That's a really good point Cactus Ed, and something I hadn't thought about. For some reason I feel like I'm missing out by not doing a TAship but you're right - there are a lot of benefits to not doing it! And I feel like getting a funded PhD offer like you mention is the most important thing - and my ultimate goal. I think that having an MA might also be beneficial in my future applications to PhD programs.

Just hearing that others have been through the same thing makes me feel much better. Now I can finally be as excited about starting my grad school journey as I want to be!

I'm in an unfunded MA program right now. I suggest you talk to your professors right away about your desire to go for a PhD. They are an amazing resource for mentoring and advice and eventually letters. Basically the mentoring I've received during this expensive year is how I justify the loans to myself.

Edited by Fishbucket

If you have no debt stay with no debt! 

Seriously--it's not worth it. Right now whatever you do with your life you'll be in the green. Work at a coffee shop, make some money, read some books, and apply again next year. I'm sure your application will be better AND you won't have to take on debt. Hell, you might even consider trying for some creative writing programs too if you've done any of that as an undergrad (there are a lot more funded MFA programs).

You have lots of time. There is nothing wrong with taking a basic job for a year or two. 

If you have no debt stay with no debt! 

Seriously--it's not worth it. Right now whatever you do with your life you'll be in the green. Work at a coffee shop, make some money, read some books, and apply again next year. I'm sure your application will be better AND you won't have to take on debt. Hell, you might even consider trying for some creative writing programs too if you've done any of that as an undergrad (there are a lot more funded MFA programs).

You have lots of time. There is nothing wrong with taking a basic job for a year or two. 

It depends what your financial situation is, and if you can get any help financing the MA. But I wouldn't entirely rule out unfunded Masters degrees, just in order to categorically avoid debt. If you really want to be in academia, an MA from a good school can help you get into a PhD program. I know Swagato got an MA at Chicago and is now headed to Yale, for example. 

I wouldn't jump the gun on attending to unfunded MA programs--taking another year to polish one's application for a funded program isn't going to hurt, and it will put you in a better position for the long haul. Yes you can get lots of things out of unfunded MA programs, but I also know lots of people who wish they didn't have debt. Debt is a huge burden when it comes to picking jobs (supposing the academic job market doesn't pan out that well), etc.

I have a moderate amount of debt, and I wish I didn't even have that. I have to get a job that will allow me to pay it off, and it is going to take a cut of my paycheck for a long time. It's not really worth it considering that you'll likely get into a funded MA somewhere if you apply wider and polish your application.

Edited by bluecheese

The best schools don't really even do funded MAs in the humanities though. And an MA is a great introduction to graduate studies that helps you to figure out if you want to do a PhD, what you want to focus on in your studies, and a million other things. I don't think debt is good, but it really depends on your situation. One or two years of debt that pave the way to a lifelong career isn't an unreasonable thing to choose.

After reading all these respones, I think all of you have some really valid points. Ultimately, it does seem to come down to the individual situation. In my case, without any undergraduate debt and the option to live at home rent-free for some period of time, all while mainting in-state tuition from a school I really like, I think it's a pretty viable option. That said, I know it's going to be a risk. And I do need to keep my debt to an absolute minimum. But I just don't think I can work another year in a coffee shop in Middle-Of-Nowhere-Missouri with only a vague hope of finding a funded MA program next year. I also should have mentioned that my undergrad GPA was pretty dismal due to the fact that I attempted a Business major for a while (big mistake), thus making it that much more difficult to obtain competitive TAships and fellowships. An MA now, even unfunded, at least offers me the opportunity to prove that I am able to do well in grad school - this, I hope, will pay off more in the future when it really matters.

After reading all these respones, I think all of you have some really valid points. Ultimately, it does seem to come down to the individual situation. In my case, without any undergraduate debt and the option to live at home rent-free for some period of time, all while mainting in-state tuition from a school I really like, I think it's a pretty viable option. That said, I know it's going to be a risk. And I do need to keep my debt to an absolute minimum. But I just don't think I can work another year in a coffee shop in Middle-Of-Nowhere-Missouri with only a vague hope of finding a funded MA program next year. I also should have mentioned that my undergrad GPA was pretty dismal due to the fact that I attempted a Business major for a while (big mistake), thus making it that much more difficult to obtain competitive TAships and fellowships. An MA now, even unfunded, at least offers me the opportunity to prove that I am able to do well in grad school - this, I hope, will pay off more in the future when it really matters.
Yep, I think the concept of an unfunded MA should be considered on a case by case basis for the exact reasons you state here. An unfunded MA at NYU when the entirety of one's family lives out of state or with limited means should obviously be avoided. But in my case (in state tuition, family to live with, etc), I got my MA, took a couple years off and got work experience/loans paid off. Albeit, I did work in a monolithic, "Office Space" corporate setting, but I learned valuable skills and whittled my debt. So that's always an option for you. Grad degrees in the humanities are more transferable to private sector jobs than people give them credit for.

Yes, the investment in Chicago has worked well for me as well as for several of my friends. However, there is someone who went from Harvard to Chicago (same program as me) and is still floundering around. That's more because they don't seem to know what they want to do (film -> philosophy -> now considering law...). And there's another well-meaning film person who, as far as I know, has had another unsuccessful round. It really is no silver bullet. Please assess your individual situation. If you're going for an unfunded MA, the least you should do is ensure that you will get to work with field-leaders and a major, major institution. At least, that's my perspective. 90% of the reason I decided to go with Chicago was the faculty. 

You should see if you can get a research assistantship (mine is through work study and is 10 hours a week at $15/hr) with a professor in your field. I just emailed my potential advisor when I decided to go to my MA program, and she happened to be looking for an RA. I found this was very beneficial to my PhD apps. I know I got an awesome rec letter from that prof because I know her so well, and of course I learned a lot about academia and publishing through the assistantship. So, maybe you could get such an assistantship along with another 10/hr week part-time job.

You could also see if you can find a job at the university that would cover some (or all) of your tuition as one of its benefits. About 80% of my MA was paid this way--my salary was garbage, but I got tuition remission for 6 credits per semester (which is all I took, while working full time). The remaining 20% was when I "overloaded" one semester with 3 classes, and then this final semester when I quit the crap job to teach while I'm finishing my thesis.

There are usually tons of clerical jobs at large universities that will pay you a moderate amount but also offer you benefits (like tuition remission). :)

On 3/24/2013 at 11:39 PM, Fishbucket said:

The best schools don't really even do funded MAs in the humanities though. 

Then they're not the "best schools" for the MA.

Seriously though, choosing to take on some debt isn't the end of the world (then again, neither is waiting a year and re-applying to avoid it). I was fully funded in my MA and yet I took out quite a few loans anyway (over 3 years) to support a fairly normal lifestyle that I couldn't have afforded otherwise. It was probably a mistake. Most MA stipends are quite low, especially if you live somewhere with a high cost of living. I should have just had roommates. I'm not taking on any more debt for the PhD, and I'm even going to try to make a dent in the loans while I get my PhD (ha!).

I would suggest getting some teaching experience under your belt even if you cannot get a GTA position. Does your school have a writing center? Work there. You can also teach online--I did this for one semester for some extra money and experience. There are lots of positions teaching to students abroad or tutoring English learners available online with only a BA required. Not all PhD programs will care, but a bit of experience can making it easier if you have to write a teaching statement or if a school doesn't fund all students.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

If you're going for an unfunded MA, the least you should do is ensure that you will get to work with field-leaders and a major, major institution. 

That's nice if you have the opportunity, but there are plenty of inspiring, brilliant people to work with--who ultimately might be more helpful than a super-busy superstar--in all types of schools. You just have to find them, and once you get to your institution you can figure out who they are. 

Then they're not the "best schools" for the MA.

Exactly.  We all know that these programs are cash cows.

The best schools for the M.A. would be places like Georgetown, Villanova, maybe Wake Forest as well: they fully fund a portion of their students, and their graduates go on to elite Ph.D. programs.

That's nice if you have the opportunity, but there are plenty of inspiring, brilliant people to work with--who ultimately might be more helpful than a super-busy superstar--in all types of schools. You just have to find them, and once you get to your institution you can figure out who they are. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. Definitely it's not a case of "If I can't work with these people, I can't get anything done." Rather, it's more that getting to work with the very best you can is achieving at least a good payoff for all the $$ you'll toss at them. And I think we should be able to admit freely that yes, names do matter (institution, letter writer, etc.). Naturally, a lot depends on where one wants to go, what kind of job one wants, and a dozen other factors. I guess my whole perspective is that of someone who seeks a private R1 TT position. Pipe dream? Probably. But I must do my best to help that happen--and that definitely includes being able to work with/under major names, even if it means shelling out a hefty sum. 

As always, mileages will vary. 

When I did my first round of applications, I ended up with a choice between a funded, very low-ranked MA, and three different unfunded Ivy League MAs. 

The low-ranked MA program turned out to be an excellent choice, and now I am in at one of those very same Ivy League programs as a PhD student, without tens of thousands of dollars in debt to drag me down afterwards.

I really don't think the prestige of the MA matters.  There are fantastic, well-connected professors at lots of different universities, not only those in the top 20.  And my sense is that, in academia, people are familiar with the MA cash-cow concept, and it doesn't seem especially impressive to have gone that route.

By the way, I posted a over in the history forum -- I'd bet a lot of the same schools would offer funded literature MAs.

I believe wholheartedly that no one should ever do an unfunded MA.

The primary reason: There are many MA programs out there that ARE funded. Tons. I got fully funded MA offers from UConn, Delaware, Ohio U, Miami U, Iowa State, and a few others--and I mean fully funded. Tuition waiver, health insurance, and stipends that would cover my expenses. I recommend that you reapply next year and apply very widely. I'm doing a search right now and discovering many little, out-of-the-way programs that are funded. Just now I discovered that even Cleveland State has a funded MA: http://www.csuohio.edu/class/english/grhandbook/finasst.html

The other reason: You should not go into that kind of debt to get a master's degree in English. 30-40k is more than you will probably make in your first year as an assistant professor in many regions of the country. What's even more distressing is that you probably won't get a job your first time on the market, as it's taking many people 2-3 years these days. 2-3 years is a long time to have $40k hanging around your neck. It's one thing to go into debt when you run out of funding but the end is in sight. It's another thing to go into debt at the very beginning of your graduate career. You have a lot of time ahead of you, and you really shouldn't start out in the red.

OP, I know this time of year is very stressful and disappointing when you don't have a funded offer, and I know it's tempting to take whatever comes along to get out of your situation. But I really think you should step back, take a breath, and just think about reapplying. You said your grades from undergrad are not good--there are ways around this. How are your GRE scores? Super high scores can offset a lackluster GPA, and doing well on the lit GRE might prove to admissions committees that you have a serious knowledge of literature. You might also take a grad-level class at the nearest university, if possible.

Finally, you might wait out U of H and try to see if any funding comes available. Often, as people turn down their offers to go elsewhere, departments offer you something later in the admissions cycle. That's why it's important to ride it out until April 15th. And as other people have said, try to work the school a little bit--ask about jobs in the writing center or as a research assistant ... or even a clerical office job at the administrative level.

Think of it this way: you did get some offers this year, which is something. If your application had been truly heinous, you would not have gotten any interest whatsoever. I would be willing to bet that if you worked a bit on your application, using the knowledge you've picked up this year, you might get a more pleasing answer next time. And a year from now, when you've got a better offer in hand, you will be glad you didn't go unfunded.

Hashslinger, you make valid points. My points to the contrary above assume that the OP would be racking up a small amount of debt as I did (28K for undergrad and grad combined, which was six years of school in-state). Now that I have a fully-funded PhD in my future, my total debt will be under 30K, which I consider good.

30-40k for an MA is, as you point out, very steep. I guess the only feasible unfunded MA is one which is in-state and costs very little to attend, meaning there are instances in which an unfunded MA makes sense, albeit rare.

Edited by Cactus Ed