Deferring a funded PhD

DMX

Hi all,

How accommodating are schools in deferring funded PhD offers? I've searched the forums and it seems like deferring un-funded offers (e.g. for Master's) is no problem, but funded PhD offers are usually not defer-able.

Also, should I let the schools know that I want to defer after accepting their offer? Or should I ask before April 15th?

Thank you.

Hey so I'm waiting on a Fulbright and have accepted an offer for a funded PhD program. I spoke with them on my visit and it is very simple to defer admission if I receive the Fulbright.

You just need to get in touch with the PhD program and ask what their policy is with deferring admission.

It may depend on the reason that you're seeking a deferral. I had to defer from fall 2013 to fall 2014, and because my reason is sound, the English department's DGS sent a memo supporting my plans to the graduate school. That said, I suggest emailing your department's DGS explaining your reason for a deferral; he or she should be able to give you more detailed advice and information. And, yes, I would definitely ask before 15 April.

Good luck!