Georgetown SFS vs. The Graduate Institute in Geneva (IHEID)

I'm very lucky to have been admitted to all my top choices and now I have narrowed it down to these two. I know Georgetown has more name recognition in the US and I don't really know where IHEID ranks globally compared to SFS. I lean towards SFS because I think it is the better program, but I can't find any rankings that include IHEID. It seems like most of the top IR lists only include US programs and leave out schools like IHEID, Sciencespo and LSE. Thoughts?

First, congrats on SFS!  I also got into SFS and am trying to decide between that and a few other schools.  I don't know how IHEID is ranked, but I do know that Sciences Po and LSE are considered top international relations schools and have excellent job placement rates.  It's possible that IHEID is similar.  I think it depends on what you want to study and how the two programs compare with their programs.  Also, would you rather be in DC or Europe for two years?  Location makes a difference in terms of what you want to get out of the program.  

• 8 months later...

why would anyone go to switzerland for graduate study. the USA is the place to be.

I strongly disagree with that statement! The US is where you want to be if you want a mountain of debt that's for sure!

Europe has many very strong programs and Geneva is a major city full of international organization headquarters that make IHEID the perfect school to score incredible internship opportunities.

• 4 weeks later...

i Would say go to geneva ... i lived there for a while  i was doing an internship at the world health organization. It's an amazing place with lot of organization headquarters and lot of international students . Georgetown is good but in terms of exposure to the work of international organizations,, you can't get better than geneva. 2) you get to learn french which is a strong asset if you want to work internationally 

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

First time using the grad cafe, or any forum. Wondered if anyone has more information to help me with my decision. I have been offered unconditional offers to both Geneva Graduate Institute (MDEV) and LSE (Development Management) but can't decide. The latter has a wider international reputation. As far as my research has show, Geneva is recognised in Europe but that's it, whilst LSE is global. That said, Geneva's course is far superior combining, theory and practice, with a French component and a range of workshops. Additionally it offers the possibility of more internships (given the proximity of all the IOs). LSE's course seems very contrained, focusing more on accounting and Finance or Local Development. So does anyone know Geneva's reputation, which would you choose and why?