University of Maryland College Park or SUNY Stony Brook?

vincent

I have been accepted to the PhD program in both institutions. Full financial aid and equivalent stipend for both programs. I am interested in Computer Vision / Computer Graphics / Machine Learning. According to the US News & World Report ranking in Computer Science, UMaryland CP ranks #13 and SUNY Stony Brook ranks #31. For other subjects like Math they rank roughly the same UMCP #21 SUNY-SB #24. I am also aware that SUNY Stony Brook is a little over an hour from New York City and UMCP is just a few minutes from Washington DC. UMCP has a long history while Stony Brook has a little over 50 years, in this regard SB has a remarkable reputation growth rate.

Probably this information will be helpful to others as well :)

Please share your thougths with me. Which one would you recommend me from this information and other information that you might have.

Can't help you with your choce that much. My dilemma at the moment is between SUNYSB and Rutgers :)

I was wondering however, what sort of stipend have you been offered at SUNYSB? I haven't received an official offer yet, but a professor I was emailing with told me

that TA stipends are in the $15k range. In contrast with Rutgers, where the TA I've been offered is $23k for each academic year.

I was wondering however, what sort of stipend have you been offered at SUNYSB? I haven't received an official offer yet, but a professor I was emailing with told me that TA stipends are in the $15k range.

I have not been officially given that information from SUNY-SB but I have also heard about the $15K range.

The computer vision lab (CVL) is one of the laboratories of the Center for Automation Research (CFAR) at the UMD. The lab is the collaboration between people working in vision in both the CS and ECE departments. Prof. Rama Chellappa (ECE) and Prof. Larry Davis (CS) are two big names in the computer vision community. They are very highly regarded by fellow researchers. You can check Google Scholar to have an idea of the impact of their research. One additional information, the "godfather of computer vision" (in Kanade's words), Prof. Azriel Rosenfeld (deceased), was the director of CFAR. Furthermore, their research projects cover most areas in computer vision, ranging from tracking, surveillance, object recognition to face recognition, learning in vision, etc...

I'm gonna turn down a fellowship offer from a top 10 CS department to go to UMD.

I see your reasons now. The only thing I am a little worried is that they don't formally offer a Computer Vision course. I have been looking through their webpage for the last semester and the following 2 semesters. I might be plain wrong but I just can't find this course on their system. The closest is "Statistical and Neural Pattern Recognition"

The computer vision lab (CVL) is one of the laboratories of the Center for Automation Research (CFAR) at the UMD. The lab is the collaboration between people working in vision in both the CS and ECE departments. Prof. Rama Chellappa (ECE) and Prof. Larry Davis (CS) are two big names in the computer vision community. They are very highly regarded by fellow researchers. You can check Google Scholar to have an idea of the impact of their research. One additional information, the "godfather of computer vision" (in Kanade's words), Prof. Azriel Rosenfeld (deceased), was the director of CFAR. Furthermore, their research projects cover most areas in computer vision, ranging from tracking, surveillance, object recognition to face recognition, learning in vision, etc...

I'm gonna turn down a fellowship offer from a top 10 CS department to go to UMD.

Aries, so you made up your mind. I plan to go to Wisconsin, and I can't see you there :), what a pitty!

I have been accepted to the PhD program in both institutions. Full financial aid and equivalent stipend for both programs. I am interested in Computer Vision / Computer Graphics / Machine Learning. According to the US News & World Report ranking in Computer Science, UMaryland CP ranks #13 and SUNY Stony Brook ranks #31. For other subjects like Math they rank roughly the same UMCP #21 SUNY-SB #24. I am also aware that SUNY Stony Brook is a little over an hour from New York City and UMCP is just a few minutes from Washington DC. I want to seek a job in academia after my PhD, in this regard both institutions have alumni as faculties at other schools. UMCP has a professor in U of Toronto and a professor in UW Madison (Both in Computer Vision). Stony Brook has 2 professors in Utah (Both in Visualization) and the current president of Stanford. UMCP has a long history while Stony Brook has a little over 50 years, in this regard SB has a remarkable reputation growth rate. My professors at Stony Brook will be young motivated researchers graduated at top institutions (MIT, Berkeley, UPenn) while my professors at UMaryland CP will be mostly seniors.

Probably this information will be helpful to others as well :)

Please share your thougths with me. Which one would you recommend me from this information and other information that you might have.

I prefer UMCP, since everything seems equivalent, except the ranking. I think that counts when seeking for job after Ph.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing such a great info. I have got Grad admission in University of Delaware and SUNY Sony-brooks. I am interested in Computer Vision/Graphics. UDEL has 3 professors in that. One is from MIT (MS and PhD). He has 1-2 patents on his name. Other is from Florida University, he was Scientist in NASA. Got some award there too. Rest SUNY is a great college as told by nowhereman. I did not get any aid from UDEl. Got acceptance letter from SUNY today. They will send the formal letter, no idea about the funds. Please suggest which one among them.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone here give any qualitative review of SUNYSB CG ? What I'v seen in other forums, people always tend to denote them as 'very strong'. but never really found any logical explanation leading to the evaluation. is there anyone to shed some light?

That's my opinion of them as well! Very strong in the CG area, some great professors, access to nice hardware and they seem to be very eager to communicate with students!

I'm torn between SUNY (for CG) and Rutgers (for Systems)!