What do you think abt this e-mail? Good/Bad

stilwaitin

I went for an interview and after the interview I sent them a thank you note with an update abt myself and my interest in the program. I got this email from the committe chair "thanks for the note and the update. I hope to get back to you with good news in a week or two." I wonder what you guys think. Should I be happy or I should not have much hopes yet. Any suggestions welcome.

Honestly?...

I wouldn't think anything of it. It clearly says hope to get back to you with good news. To me this sounds parallel to "I'm going to get back to you. I hope the news I'll deliver is good."

The only part that I would be happy about is the personalization. (in the assumption that not only did the author indeed read your note but that the message returned to you indicates proof that your note was read... & not merely skimmed)

Personal attention is ALWAYS good.

Judgement: go about your business. The email you recieved reveals no insight to your case. I'm not saying this to be mean. It's simply my honest opinion.

I went for an interview and after the interview I sent them a thank you note with an update abt myself and my interest in the program. I got this email from the committe chair "thanks for the note and the update. I hope to get back to you with good news in a week or two." I wonder what you guys think. Should I be happy or I should not have much hopes yet. Any suggestions welcome.

The email is good, however, be aware that no promises have been made by the program or even the chair him/herself. But at least the chair likes you - that's always a good thing. :)

Here's something I have learned from my own ordeal of applying: do NOT take anything they say post-interview seriously until you have the actual acceptance in hand. Twice I was told during interviews or in response to my thank you notes that profs would be rooting for me and liked me and blah blah blah, and bam, rejected or waitlisted. I know other people to whom this has happened, as well.

I'm sorry, I'm so bitter and cynical. :(

Here's something I have learned from my own ordeal of applying: do NOT take anything they say post-interview seriously until you have the actual acceptance in hand. Twice I was told during interviews or in response to my thank you notes that profs would be rooting for me and liked me and blah blah blah, and bam, rejected or waitlisted. I know other people to whom this has happened, as well.

I'm sorry, I'm so bitter and cynical. :(

I agree! Also, don't take anything they say in an email (post-interview or not) as serious unless they literally spell it out. Don't assume you are accepted/waitlisted just because the email sounds positive, or doesn't say you are rejected. Just trust me on this one...