How much studying did/do you do?

Yetanotherdegree

How much time are you putting in to GRE prep, and for how long?

Do you wish you had more time? How much time is ideal?

If you know your score, how much did you study and do you wish you had done more? Or was it enough?

I'm planning to write in August, trying to work out a schedule for test prep. Thanks!

I took my GRE in August and studied during June and July. I didn't have a specific schedule. The goal was to get through both the math and verbal workbooks (Kaplan) and the Powerprep practice tests before my test date. This worked out to doing about a chapter per day, but I took a lot of breaks in between days. I was very happy with my score and my studying was sufficient, but this varies quite a bit for different people.

I didn't study particularly hard. I did a few math problems in my free time and did okay. I scored V162/Q154/AW4 (I think I could have had the AW re-scored and done better but it didn't really affect me.) In getting feedback on my application my Q score could have helped me get a fellowship but it wasn't a factor in my applications otherwise. It should be noted that I turned in a strong, heavily edited writing sample with all of my applications which helped with the low AW. Also, in my discipline, and particularly my subfield, the only quantitative stuff is statistical and I did fine on that. My problem was the pure math stuff almost across the board. I was told that most schools would know that the Q is about 50% pure math and not to worry about it too much.

@Yetanotherdegree

Don't go by rules set by others. Time required for prep depends upon ur background, speed, aptitude everything. E.g. If you're an engineer/mathematician quant will be a breeze. 

Best approach to optimize prep is first cursorily going through theory and taking a mock test, it will tell you exactly what and how much u need to study. In my first mock I got ~166 quant, ~148 verbal so I devoted my entire available time (1.5 months) to verbal. Targeted prep based on strong and weak point will help more than random problem solving, and only way to know SWOT is taking a mock..

Edited by Bhrigu

I studied for a month in a half.  I know i'm not a good standardized test taker, so I thought with no work or school and dedicating this whole month and a half would be fine.  I used Princeton's Cracking the GRE book and Mcgraw-Hill 6 practice test ( DO NOT BUY THIS IT SUCKS). During the actual test day, I was prepared for the math section, but NOT enough for the verbal section.  

I wish I had more time to study, I did study pretty hard that month and a half, but it was not enough because I did not reach the score I wanted to.  I would say 2-4 months.

I would start off easy, just memorize 5 vocab cards a day, do 5 math problems. When the test date gets closer, I would do more problems and take a FULL practice test each week for the last month before your test.  Good luck!

I am an absolutely terrible standardized test taker, so I knew I required a lot of time to study. I took mine in September but started studying in mid-May. But each person is different, and some people don't require nearly that amount of time to prepare. I would usually spend an hour or so on Verbal a day and then 2 hours or so on Quant. (I took the weekends off.) I was extremely happy with my Verbal score, and for my program, my Quant was fine (although would probably be considered low by some standards). I made that mistake where I didn't really study for the AW and got a 4, so lesson learned there.

I think my amount of study time for V/Q was good, but like I said, I should have done way more preparation for the AW. 

Good luck! 

General GRE: I'm taking the test in a few months, I plan on doing a few long weekend study sessions in the month beforehand. (See below for about 30 hours).

Biology GRE: I'm taking the test 4/27. I thought I would prepare more, but I've realized that my courses have actually taught me most of what I need to know in the tested subjects. I bought a Campbell biology textbook and have been glossing through it, reading in depth on subjects I'm not as familiar with. I'll probably do about 6 hours each weekend day from now until the test. Leaving room for error, that's around 30 hours preparation time, not including my coursework.

I did well on the SAT and tend to be a good standardized test taker, so I'm hoping that it carries through a bit to the GRE.