Suggestions on how to ask for status update.

ramennoodlecats

Here is an example of update request I used:

Good Morning Dr. So-and-so,

I hope you are enjoying your (insert appropriate season)! It has been a while since we have corresponded, and I realize that doctoral interviews are likely (being planned or underway) but I sincerely hope that you and your department will continue to consider me as a candidate. Included in this e-mail I have attached a copy of my updated CV.

Sincerely,
You

I think I've already decided that I will not be making anymore contact. However, I just wanted to know what you all think as there is no guidebook on what to do when wait-listed. 

1) I made contact immediately after being notified. 
2) I made contact again last week and received the generic answer of "you will know when we know."
3) I am fairly sure that they already have us ranked and whatever happens is out of my hands (this is probably the hardest thing for me to swallow).

Therefore, I don't think I should be contacting them again as I do not want to come off as annoying and desperate. Though I am not 100% sure if this is the right thing to do. 

Call. It is way too easy to ignore an email. I was a victim. I emailed my first choice grad program three weeks ago and got no answer. If you call, they are on the spot, and you can be much more personable and show your gratitude for an update much more than through an email. In my case I just said I was wondering if I could get an update on my application status. Gave them my last name, and found out I was waitlisted. After which point I was able to thank them for keeping my application in consideration, taking the time to speak with me about it, and told them I appreciate the review and if there is anything I could do to further support my application to please feel free to contact me. The university remained my first choice, and then said goodbye. Overall good experience. Plus I can now stop checking my email fifty times a day

Guest hopefulfool

I agree with the calling thing, but as you already know that you are waitlisted I don't know how much more info you will get out of them. With 7 days left until the 15th, there is very little you can do to change your situation. There are 3 parts to emailing/calling a DGS 1) ask for status update, 2) update him/her on any new things that have done on that could help your application such as Conferences, published articles, Harvard acceptance, 3) how you think you will fit in the program. If you are missing one of these, then you are running the risk of having them think you are waisting their time. 

However, if you are thinking of not contacting the DGS, but the secretary I see no problem in doing so as they would be less interested in #2 and #3.

Guest hopefulfool

Bitch, TALK to me!

Best advice ever. Seriously. This will really get their attention!

Due to the application process, I have developed a serious problem with swearing....