Late Notifying Schools?!

What's the deal? How do schools that notify so late get any decent people? A school just waitlisted me and told me they'd have more info in the next two weeks... um, I'll have made my decision by then-- and it will be somewhere else. Seriously, how do these places bring in competitive candidates? 

They get lots of competitive candidates; for many people, those are their top programs. Look, wait lists happen, and some people take forever to notify schools that they won't be attending, and so the schools have to wait to notify other candidates. The reality is that this process exists to serve the departments and not the applicants. They have the power, and so they'll use the process to their own ends. That's life.

I'm not talking JUST waitlists. I mean, this school sent out acceptances this week. First round. I have offers from higher-ranked schools-- I no longer have time to wait it out for my last-choice safety school. I'm not lamenting my waitlist, rather, regretting that I even applied at this school. It was a waste of money, essentially. Regardless of their decision, they won't factor in in MY decision. This isn't a "poor me" post, rather, a "how on earth are these schools winning anyone over when they send out first round acceptances the first week of April" post. I'm honestly curious. Although, perhaps this is the reason that they are so low on the rankings (which, of course, are meant to be taken with a grain of salt). 

Skybythelight--

Penn is pretty notorious for last minute decision letters.  Like, April 13th-last minute.  It's not entirely their fault--they get more applications than the average school and have to wade through all of them.  Not that the process isn't frustrating for those of us who are still waiting to hear . . .

I was told I was on wait list at Penn State in late Feb. I emailed them yesterday for update. They said situ still fluid, wouldn't be surprised to make an offer on April 15th....I'm going to hang on, bethought other schools getting a bit annoyed..

CUNY still hasn't told me their final decision, so I made it for them. It is certainly unfair that I'm notifying my final decisions to other schools when they don't even bother to let me know their decision not even a week before that date: April 15th. -__-