Should I Give Up?

This is my second year applying to graduate school, and 6 applications and several hundred dollars later, as well as numerous weeks working on applications, I have yet to be accepted. I am wondering if anyone else out there feels the same, what other than sheer determination keeps us trying to get in? I earned my post-bacc. while I was raising two kids, working full-time, and managing a chronic illness. I have been an SLPA for seven years, have a 3.5 and reasonable GRE scores that are comparable to others who are being accepted. What gives?

Have you heard back from all 6 programs already? If not, there's still hope! It can be really subjective and unpredictable. Great stats can be negated by run-of-the-mill LORs or adcomns in a bad mood. Some applications just fall through the cracks if they don't catch anyone's eye. I think this process involves some pure luck when it comes down to being accepted or not.

Have you heard back from all 6 programs already? If not, there's still hope! It can be really subjective and unpredictable. Great stats can be negated by run-of-the-mill LORs or adcomns in a bad mood. Some applications just fall through the cracks if they don't catch anyone's eye. I think this process involves some pure luck when it comes down to being accepted or not.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am waiting on a response from the 6th program, but I know that 1st round acceptance letters went out last week. How does a Distance Ed student get beyond the run of the mill LORs? Its been a year since I graduated, and I never really "knew" my professors, other than typical questions I asked during the course. Hurrrumpph!

I am six years away from my last university in-person experiences, so I took pre-reqs online to ensure i could get recent academic references. Since my LORs had to have at least two from professors, I chose to have the third as a work colleague, someone who really knew me much better than my online professors. I don't know if all three of your LORs came from your online profs so far, but maybe consider just how many letters have to be academic, versus what you can provide from someone who really knows you. I don't know if it was a magic formula, but I did get accepted to a distance program (ultimately I chose to go on campus).

Edited by kcald716

I'm feeling the same way. I applied to 9 schools, spent about $1000, and so far have been rejected to 7. I have a 3.25 GPA, which doesnt stand out. However, I have many clinical hours and work with an autistic child. I am loosing hope. 

I would like to make a few suggestions. I too, am out of field and took pre-reqs online. I do not have a stellar cumulative GPA, but I worked hard on my CSD courses to bring it up. And the CSD GPA does count a lot obviously...

I would suggest expanding the geographic locations of schools to which you apply. Schools in the south, southeast, and some of the mid west in rural areas (needing to diversify) seem to be less competitive. Also, school that are still earning/ or are in the first year of starting a new CSD/SLP graduate program are also not quite competitive yet (they will be soon!!). Also, some schools that are currently being re-accreditated, reviewed (all ASHA schools go through this every few years). These schools will still allow you to earn your CCCs and they are still great small programs. Some of these schools are: University of the District of Columbia (Washington, DC), Fort Hays State University (Kansas),  Grand Valley State University, Midwestern University, University of Nebraska Kearney, Louisiana Tech University, Howard University, Hampton University (VA), Nova Southeastern University (they take a lot of people and offer a slpD degree). So, point is, expand your options if you can. Really, look through Edfind on ASHA's website and see how many people each school takes, the GPAs/GREs, and apply to schools where you are competitive (above or equal to the stats), and you will have a chance!! Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, if this is really what you want to do!

Best of luck!

Perhaps a second bachelors in CSD might help, USF offers one that only takes 3 semesters and its 100% online. You can also transfer 2 classes towards the program. Don't give up, it's not worth giving up when next year will come around and you're doing something you don't really want to do. Apply to a diverse group of programs, and consider moving if you have to. Do whatever it takes, but don't give up!

I agree with applying to programs that are diverse and in a wide range of geographic areas. I don't know where in the country you live, but it seems like the east and west coasts are extremely competitive compared to other areas and I would avoid these areas as much as possible. In the midwest I would avoid Wisconsin and especially Illinois as it seems like those schools are overwhelmed with their own state applicants and don't have much room for out of state people. Missouri, Nebraska and some parts of Kentucky would be your best bet in that area. I don't know much about the Dakotas but I would imagine they wouldn't be as competitive either. The south and south east seem to be the best area overall. Radford University in Virginia seems to take a lot of out-of-field students and their out of state tuition is doable compared to other out of state tuition, North Carolina and Florida seem to be good states as well because I have seen a lot of out-of-field candidates get accepted to schools in those states as well. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Also I would like to add that I almost did not apply to the two schools I got accepted to because they were 8+ hours away. If I would not have applied to these schools I more than likely would not have been admitted this year, so expanding your options geographically is a must if it is possible!

Edited by Tay1991

In the midwest I would avoid Wisconsin

I did the math for the seven schools in Wisconsin that offer a Master's program in Speech-Language Pathology.  There are 185 Master's graduate student spots available for the entire state.  In my current undergrad cohort alone, there are about 35 students.  Most of us applied to multiple schools within the state.

If you figure each school has an average undergrad class of 30 students, 30 x 7 = 210.  That's 210 students vying for 185 spots.  Even if every single undergrad / in-field post-bacc in Wisconsin wanted to stay in the state for grad school, there just are not enough spots to offer everyone admission, assuming everyone only applied to just one school.  Factor in out-of-field applicants, applicants applying for a second or third time, out of state applicants and the fact that students typically apply to multiple programs; you can easily how competitive the field can get just in Wisconsin alone.  (Wisconsin also takes part in the Midwest tuition exchange in addition to having their own tuition reciprocity agreement with Minnesota, making the state as a whole even more attractive to out-of-state applicants from a neighboring state.)

Edited by lexical_gap

What schools offers prereqs completely online?

The EdFind on ASHA has schools listed. The ones that I know of are Calif. State Northridge, NOVA Fischler, East Carolina University, University of Montana, Idaho State University, Colorado (Greeley). I am sure there are a few more. 

I would like to make a few suggestions. I too, am out of field and took pre-reqs online. I do not have a stellar cumulative GPA, but I worked hard on my CSD courses to bring it up. And the CSD GPA does count a lot obviously...

I would suggest expanding the geographic locations of schools to which you apply. Schools in the south, southeast, and some of the mid west in rural areas (needing to diversify) seem to be less competitive. Also, school that are still earning/ or are in the first year of starting a new CSD/SLP graduate program are also not quite competitive yet (they will be soon!!). Also, some schools that are currently being re-accreditated, reviewed (all ASHA schools go through this every few years). These schools will still allow you to earn your CCCs and they are still great small programs. Some of these schools are: University of the District of Columbia (Washington, DC), Fort Hays State University (Kansas),  Grand Valley State University, Midwestern University, University of Nebraska Kearney, Louisiana Tech University, Howard University, Hampton University (VA), Fontbonne, Nova Southeastern University (they take a lot of people and offer a slpD degree). So, point is, expand your options if you can. Really, look through Edfind on ASHA's website and see how many people each school takes, the GPAs/GREs, and apply to schools where you are competitive (above or equal to the stats), and you will have a chance!! Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, if this is really what you want to do!

Best of luck!

Thanks for your note. I have to apply to online programs only, because I have kids in high school, my husband's career firefighter job is not something we can change (and he is the main income etc.). I will never give up! I am too old to reinvent myself ( I will be 50 in May ). Thank you for the list of schools, if any are online I will be applying. The support I am receiving from everyone is so nice,and your suggestions are wonderful!

I agree with applying to programs that are diverse and in a wide range of geographic areas. I don't know where in the country you live, but it seems like the east and west coasts are extremely competitive compared to other areas and I would avoid these areas as much as possible. In the midwest I would avoid Wisconsin and especially Illinois as it seems like those schools are overwhelmed with their own state applicants and don't have much room for out of state people. Missouri, Nebraska and some parts of Kentucky would be your best bet in that area. I don't know much about the Dakotas but I would imagine they wouldn't be as competitive either. The south and south east seem to be the best area overall. Radford University in Virginia seems to take a lot of out-of-field students and their out of state tuition is doable compared to other out of state tuition, North Carolina and Florida seem to be good states as well because I have seen a lot of out-of-field candidates get accepted to schools in those states as well. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Also I would like to add that I almost did not apply to the two schools I got accepted to because they were 8+ hours away. If I would not have applied to these schools I more than likely would not have been admitted this year, so expanding your options geographically is a must if it is possible!

Thank you for your note. I live in Washington state. There are on campus programs at Univ. of WA (even with a 4.0 it's tough to be accepted there) so that is out of the question for my 3.5. The other programs would require me to move, which is not possible because I have two teens in high school, my job is pretty much full time, and my husband is a career firefighter - which is our main source of income. If any of the schools you mentioned are completely online, then I will be applying. I don't plan to give up! I will survive - appreciate your help and info too.

I am six years away from my last university in-person experiences, so I took pre-reqs online to ensure i could get recent academic references. Since my LORs had to have at least two from professors, I chose to have the third as a work colleague, someone who really knew me much better than my online professors. I don't know if all three of your LORs came from your online profs so far, but maybe consider just how many letters have to be academic, versus what you can provide from someone who really knows you. I don't know if it was a magic formula, but I did get accepted to a distance program (ultimately I chose to go on campus).

I took a grad level course at East Carolina with Prof. Cox. She was fun and I enjoyed the Voice Disorders class I took. I applied there but my GRE scores were too low. Gotta work on the math portion I guess. Yes, all my LORs came from online profs. I will see about getting one from my SLP that I work for.  Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you enjoy learning at ECU! Go Pirates -aurgh!

hi tacomatalks!
Out of the list I gave you, only Nova offers a fully online masters SLP/CSD program :(.
I've also heard of James Madison (DLVE), and East Carolina (which you already know about) as well. I think University of Wyoming also offers a fully online Master's program. Yupp, they do.

I find your optimism and perseverance very refreshing and I hope you can achieve your career goals soon :)

Edited by slpf13

What schools offers prereqs completely online?

Here's a partial list of schools that offer prerequisites and post-bacc programs entirely on-line:

Utah State (12 courses/35 credits, recommended 3 full-time semesters)

University of Alaska Anchorage (7 course offerings, though not every class is offered every semester)

East Carolina(but we missed that boat: must e-mail on March 1st for a spot)

Eastern New Mexico (has synchronous/asynchronous class scheduling)

Florida State (6 courses/24 credits, can do Post-Bacc anywhere but must reside in FL for Masters Program)

Idaho State (12 courses/37 credits, has on-campus and mixed option)

La Salle (10 courses/37 credits, has on-campus and mixed options)

Longwood (9 courses/27 credits)

SUNY at New Paltz (9 courses/28 credits, has on-campus option but limited seating)

Tennessee State (6 courses/20 credits)

Texas Woman's University (application was due March 1st AND finals must be taken on campus--yuck)

The University of Montana (10 courses, fall/spring semesters, has synchronous/asynchronous class scheduling)

University of Nebraska, Kearney (10 courses/32 credits)

University of Vermont (8 courses)

University of Wyoming (10 courses/31 credits)

Kean Univesity Pre-Professional Program (8 courses/25 credits, has on-campus option)

CSU, Northridge (10 courses/30 units, 5 part-time semesters [mandatory], on-line cohort)

Ohio State (7 courses/21 credits, 7-week summer session, on-line)

Tacomatalks, a few of these (CSU Northridge, for example) also offer Masters Degrees entirely on-line.  And here are the 14 self-reported schools on EdFind that claim to offer Masters Degrees entirely on-line (though this list appears to be incomplete): http://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?DE=ENTIREDEGREE

There are also 166 self-reported schools that allow part-time enrollment... Maybe there's one near your hometown that could work for you?  http://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?PT=true

Edited by katie-bird

Thank you Katie-Bird for all the time you took to list the post-bac programs. I have completed my post-bac through Utah State online ( I would recommend it - it's a good school). So looks I will be getting ready for next year to apply once again. Here is my strategy:

1. Take the Miller's Analogy Test this spring so I have that as another testing format to use. I score very high verbally each time.

2. Retake the GRE in late summer - plan to spend the summertime working on understanding the math better so I can get higher the 50th percentile this time.

3. Get in touch with current professors to take about future LORs now. I think this is another area I might be able to improve upon.

4. Have my statement of purpose reviewed by a professor/friend of the family, as well as a few SLPs I know.

5. Apply to each and every school that offers DE as their master's.

6. Continue to take CSD courses to continue learning.

With my current class, I now have a 3.6 ..... so I hope I can keep on a roll and just keep improving my chances. :) Happy day to all -

I'm feeling the same way. I applied to 9 schools, spent about $1000, and so far have been rejected to 7. I have a 3.25 GPA, which doesnt stand out. However, I have many clinical hours and work with an autistic child. I am loosing hope. 

We have to keep trying. I am taking more classes (after graduating with my post-bacc) to increase my GPA. So far I have raised it from a 3.25 to the 3.5. I also have worked for 7 years in the field as an SLPA (two years as a conditionally certified SLP for a rural school district). My plan is to re-take my GRE and the Miller's Analogy Test too, since I scored well in verbal and written, but my math bit the dust. I have been told by the schools  I have applied to that my low math score t is keeping me from getting in at this point, as it is a predictor of how  you will fare in graduate level courses (though I have taken two grad level courses and have A's in both courses). Sheeez!

I second whoever said to go to less competitive areas. For example, I got into some really "top" ranked schools but was waitlisted at CU Boulder. Did you know that the majority of states on the West Coast get in-state tuition there? To me that said 5+ states are full on applying there which makes it harder to get in, even if it's not a competitive program. 

My friend also applied at Towson (very lowly ranked) and she didn't get in because they told her 80+ people applied to their incredibly small school. 

At Nebraska, they offered me a fellowship and admitted me into both their SLP and Au.D programs. This tells me they need people! Apply where not everyone else does!

I feel like I'm in the same boat has most people on here. It's my second year applying and I've been rejected at 3 schools, waitlisted at 2, and still waiting to hear from 1. But the odds of getting into a program are slim. I spent numerous hours researching schools and had a professor of mine look over my SOP. I know my GRE scores are low and I applied to 2 schools that don't use the GRE and got rejected from 1 and waitlisted at the other. It's my dream to be an SLP but I have no idea what else I can do to be a better applicant.

I feel like I'm in the same boat has most people on here. It's my second year applying and I've been rejected at 3 schools, waitlisted at 2, and still waiting to hear from 1. But the odds of getting into a program are slim. I spent numerous hours researching schools and had a professor of mine look over my SOP. I know my GRE scores are low and I applied to 2 schools that don't use the GRE and got rejected from 1 and waitlisted at the other. It's my dream to be an SLP but I have no idea what else I can do to be a better applicant.

I think your GPA is competitive. I think if your GRE scores could be improved, you would improve your chances! Are you willing to take it again? I hear that is a major factor in their decisions... go for it!

hi tacomatalks!

Out of the list I gave you, only Nova offers a fully online masters SLP/CSD program :(.

I've also heard of James Madison (DLVE), and East Carolina (which you already know about) as well. I think University of Wyoming also offers a fully online Master's program. Yupp, they do.

I find your optimism and perseverance very refreshing and I hope you can achieve your career goals soon :)

I will look into Wyoming - thanks for that info. I spoke with the contracting agency that I work for today, and they too said "never give up" and want to help me figure out how to improve my chances. No one should have to go through the hard work and determination it takes to get a post bacc. in this field while raising two children and working full time in the field and never be considered for grad school. My son said "when your going through hell, keep going." I agree!

hi tacomatalks!

Thank you for your note - just an update, I see that U. of Wyoming does not accept applicants from several states, including Washington (my home)--something about clinical practicum requirements.  Whoa is me...

Yeah, re-taking the GRE would greatly improve your chances. Now that you know what to expect from the test, even getting a cheap GRE review book at B&N or doing some online practice would help :)

I believe that numbers don't mean much, but I've heard that some schools get so flooded with applicants that they basically put everyone's numbers into a spreadsheet and delete all but the top 100. It isn't fair, but the schools don't always have the resources to do an in-depth reading of 500 applications, so they have to make the cut somewhere :(