Utah State Pre-req Program

Hey Everyone!

So with this round of applications potentially not working out, I'm looking at other options. Since I don't have any SLP pre-requisites, I was thinking of taking this next year to do them online. I've looked at the schools I want to apply too and most of them have around 5 of the same pre-requisites: Audiology, Phonetics, Anatomy & Physiology, Language Development, and Intro to Speech and Lang. Disorder. Does anyone know if I take these 5 classes through Utah State's online program, will these classes count as pre-reqs for the bigger schools such as JMU, GWU, NYU etc? 

My concern is that since the title isn't the same, the school wont count it for credit. For example: One of GWU's pre-reqs is Phonetics and Phonological Disorders, But if I were to take just plain Phonetics at UTU, would that count for the same thing? 

Thanks for the help!!

I would probably shoot e-mails to the department heads of the three schools you mentioned. I believe USU's classes are pretty well-known within the SLP world and you should be able to get answers relatively quickly. I'm currently taking a language development class through USU and made sure that Northeastern would accept it before I enrolled. It also did not have the same exact name as the class NU listed as a pre-req. The last thing you would want is to spend the money on these classes and find out later they don't count towards the program you want to attend. Getting it "in writing" via e-mail is always a good idea.

I do know that the phonetics course I took at NU (as a pre-req) had very little info re: phonological disorders, so you may need to search a little for a class that includes both in the syllabus.

Good luck! : )

I would probably shoot e-mails to the department heads of the three schools you mentioned. I believe USU's classes are pretty well-known within the SLP world and you should be able to get answers relatively quickly. I'm currently taking a language development class through USU and made sure that Northeastern would accept it before I enrolled. It also did not have the same exact name as the class NU listed as a pre-req. The last thing you would want is to spend the money on these classes and find out later they don't count towards the program you want to attend. Getting it "in writing" via e-mail is always a good idea.

I do know that the phonetics course I took at NU (as a pre-req) had very little info re: phonological disorders, so you may need to search a little for a class that includes both in the syllabus.

Good luck! : )

Great thank you! I will definitely send e-mails just in case!

For anyone else who has attended USU - I'm seriously considering doing my post-bacc work there next year & applying to a different set of programs this fall.

I noticed that if you are not a degree-seeking student (and I don't think I have an persuasive reason to become one), you cannot use federal student aid to pay for your USU courses.

How did you guys pay for the online program?

For anyone else who has attended USU - I'm seriously considering doing my post-bacc work there next year & applying to a different set of programs this fall.

I noticed that if you are not a degree-seeking student (and I don't think I have an persuasive reason to become one), you cannot use federal student aid to pay for your USU courses.

How did you guys pay for the online program?

I took some classes at USU and that was a challenge I ran into.  I had a TEENY bit of money saved for grad school, and I used it on those courses, because I figured I could use loans later for the rest.  It's just under $800 for one course, so depending on how many courses you plan to take each semester, you will have to figure out what will work best.  At my local school, I got federal aid and I was just doing pre-reqs, I never really understand why they could make that exception, but USU couldn't....?!  Maybe you could call their financial aid department and ask them if they have any options for someone in your situation. 

I know that doesn't give you an answer really, but good luck!

Just an FYI you guys, USU tuition has gone up a bit. It is now 275 per credit starting with the summer session. I was expecting 262 per credit until I saw my account balance... Called the registrars office to verify the amount and the explanation given was the legislature voting to up the cost of tuition, oh well.... Wish I had taken the artic class last fall or spring when I could have saved a bit more. I has to be done.... So I eat the cost for now.

There's a small, recently accredited school in Las Vegas called Nevada State College that offers an online post-bacc program.  Cost is only $100 a credit.  I took 12 total classes, and will be attending a top 10 grad school in the Fall, so there was no problem with transferring the credit.  Just a heads up.  

Oh my goodness... hours before I was going to fork over a whole wad of cash to Utah State.  Definitely looking into this possibility further.  Thanks for the tip, Dibbels81!

(If you don't mind my asking, do you have any thoughts on the post-bacc program overall or individual classes?  Was the workload easy-breezy or challenging?  Were you able to learn a lot?)

Edited by katie-bird

I looked up Nevada state... The cost is appealing for sure but the deadline to apply was March 1st from what I saw online during my search at lunch today.

Yay for finding classmates for the artic class, slptobeweee! Who knows if we will even be in the same section on canvas, but I am glad I at least won't be the only one in the class! ;-).

There's a small, recently accredited school in Las Vegas called Nevada State College that offers an online post-bacc program.  Cost is only $100 a credit.  I took 12 total classes, and will be attending a top 10 grad school in the Fall, so there was no problem with transferring the credit.  Just a heads up.  

That is wonderful news!  I need to take an Artic class this summer too.  Do they require proctors for the tests? 

That is wonderful news!  I need to take an Artic class this summer too.  Do they require proctors for the tests? 

No, their classes don't require a proctor.  They may have changed the format of their artic class to in-person only this past year, however.