SVA Summer Program vs. Post Bac?? Help!

Czarina

Hi All, 

I'm in a bit of a situation -- w/a liberal arts BA from several years ago, with decent exhibition/performance since and a studio residency under my belt. Working in studio was great, and I feel like my body of work improved on a technical level, but it didn't take on the depth or cohesiveness I had hoped for. I wasn't reading very much or having conversations with any peers/mentor figures partially due to location (essentially no art scene aside from one rather insular university program). 

I'm not feeling like my work is up to par to get into the programs I'd like to, partially due to the fact that I've NEVER had consistent studio critique, therefore I've lacked the parameters to work hard enough. The common consensus seems to be AVOID the Post-Bac programs but I feel as though I have confidence issues I need to conquer and that the academic environment could bolster the backbone of my work. I was rejected from my top two residency choices from the summer and I completely understand why. I do feel like I have the potential to reach that standard but it's not going to happen unless I put myself into a highly structured/intensive environment for the first time. 

The applications for most summer programs are closed, but the SVA Sculpture/New Media is on a rolling basis, as well as the applications for some Post-Bac programs for 2k13-14.  

I'm at an impasse as to whether to apply to the SVA program. 

Option A: Attend program over summer/take advantage critique and resources NYC has to offer/return home and develop work for MFA applications fall 2014. 

Option B: Attend (state, not private) Post-Bac program, incur debt, have more time to work/exhibit in an urban area,  apply for MFA in fall 2014. 

Has anyone participated in the SVA Summer Program, and if so, thoughts? Beneficial or money maker? 

Sorry for the novella -- any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from those with a non-BFA undergrad who have gone on to pursue their MFAs... 

• 1 year later...

Hi there, what did you decide? (Similar boat)

I didn't do either option. I went to the Vermont Studio Center residency, worked my butt off in the studio, revamped my practice, made more of an effort to reach out to other artists. Last year my grad apps didn't work out-- but this year I ended up getting into my first choice school with a full ride, so....my recc to you is to try to do a free/cheap residency, keep making work and talking to your peers, and most importantly, stay posi/confident!

Two years later I'm more jaded and wary of the SVA program; for how short it is it's really expensive (no grants available), PLUS the cost of living in NYC even for a short period. There are other residencies that are less expensive than the SVA program and include room and board!

If you're looking for the instruction and classroom setting -- look into community college/extension school courses. If you don't have a BFA you will inevitably have to play a little catch up, but remember that your BA will be an asset to your work in the long term.

Edited by Czarina

I had a friend who had a bs in Nuro science. Then did a post bac (at smfa) and got into the mfa program at goldsmiths. So though I think post bacs are strange, it certainly seemed to work out for my friend.

I think Post-Bacs are cool if you have a huge trust fund, but otherwise I'm inclined to agree with you. I have a friend who did the SAIC Post-Bac and ended up forgoing a lot of studio time because they were simultaneously working crazy hours in order to pay for it.

Edited by Czarina

I didn't do either option. I went to the Vermont Studio Center residency, worked my butt off in the studio, revamped my practice, made more of an effort to reach out to other artists. Last year my grad apps didn't work out-- but this year I ended up getting into my first choice school with a full ride, so....my recc to you is to try to do a free/cheap residency, keep making work and talking to your peers, and most importantly, stay posi/confident!

Two years later I'm more jaded and wary of the SVA program; for how short it is it's really expensive (no grants available), PLUS the cost of living in NYC even for a short period. There are other residencies that are less expensive than the SVA program and include room and board!

If you're looking for the instruction and classroom setting -- look into community college/extension school courses. If you don't have a BFA you will inevitably have to play a little catch up, but remember that your BA will be an asset to your work in the long term.

I also come from a non-arts background.  This is my first year applying, but I started focusing on building my portfolio for application about a year ago.  That included doing a ton of research into programs and the quality/nature of current student work, alongside doing a residency and organizing a series of studio visits to get outside perspective on my work.  I also attended a portfolio review day which was a huge help in deciphering how to talk about my work, and what schools are looking for in our app materials. 

So far my results have been quite good, getting interviews at all of the schools I applied to, and some good funding options among my acceptances.

I agree with Czarina - I think it's very possible to diy your way into a good program if you're able to take the time and make the commitment to it.