UT Dallas

7 hours ago, EESpeechie said:

It's about $7500 a semester I think for in state (for 15 or more units). I'm not sure about summer though. They told me most only take 2 classes and clinical so it could be a little less. 

Probably a really dumb question but do we pay for clinical as well?  I know we pay by units for classes but how does the clinical component work?  

8 hours ago, CBG321 said:

Has anyone gotten this confirmed 100% with the department because awhile ago I was given the estimate of 44K.  Now that I think of it i'm not sure if that was without in-state pricing but i'm just worried there are some hidden fees that they included in that estimate.  

I would be really excited if the cost came closer to 35K bc that's a savings of about 10K I wasn't anticipating!   I've bombarded the department with too many emails already so am hesitant to send yet another one but if anyone had that information concrete that would be so great.  Thank you for the estimate Kanga I hope your number is more accurate than the one I got!

Maybe their estimate included books? Or hidden program fees we haven't run into yet? I've heard that a lot of the programs kind of sneak charges up on you, so it might be that we're missing something in the 35k calculation. There's also a chance that 44k is with tuition increases taken into consideration for the next semester-- a lot of programs have warned me that their tuition will increase starting next Fall.

(I'd originally figured around 27k for the two years, which didn't include summer sessions or fees haha. Hopefully this number stops going up!)

9 hours ago, Kanga said:

It's hard to know for sure, because the tuition varies based on how many units you take. Plus, there is an extra $40 per unit fee for speech path classes. I think the quantity of classes taken each semester varies as well. If you figure 39 units of coursework (minimum), plus 9 units of clinical, gives you 48 units. Over 5 semesters (with summer carrying less) that's about 11 units per semester, plus about 6 for summer (give or take). 11 units is $6646 for this spring + 440 ($40 per unit) which is $7086. 6 units in summer $4151 + $240 = $4391. I assume fall 2016 tuition will be a little more, and of course books, which puts you right at $7500 for the 4 semesters, plus maybe $4500 for summer. I am guessing that maybe $35,000 for all five semesters is a good, realistic estimate unless you plan on taking more the normal class load.

Hmm so there's not a unit cap for tuition? Or is the cap just a high unit number (somewhere around 15)? 

10 hours ago, CBG321 said:

Probably a really dumb question but do we pay for clinical as well?  I know we pay by units for classes but how does the clinical component work?  

As far as I know , yes

6 hours ago, racoomelon said:

Maybe their estimate included books? Or hidden program fees we haven't run into yet? I've heard that a lot of the programs kind of sneak charges up on you, so it might be that we're missing something in the 35k calculation. There's also a chance that 44k is with tuition increases taken into consideration for the next semester-- a lot of programs have warned me that their tuition will increase starting next Fall.

(I'd originally figured around 27k for the two years, which didn't include summer sessions or fees haha. Hopefully this number stops going up!)

Hmm so there's not a unit cap for tuition? Or is the cap just a high unit number (somewhere around 15)? 

On the website the highest amount noted is for 15 units.

14 hours ago, CBG321 said:

I believe clinical hours are paid for via coursework. In other words, you enroll in a class that has a certain number of units and that's how it's paid for. That's what I was trying to "guesstimate:" in above posts. But I could definitely be wrong, so my numbers could be low.

I have actually looked in the course book (the online schedule for classes) and haven't found the courses that are offered online, but was told they can be registered for. Maybe the clinical courses are the same? If you are interested, here is the link to the schedule of classes:

https://coursebook.utdallas.edu/

You can see previous term schedules to get an idea of what will likely be offered and at what time. These are the boxes you can fill in:

Term: choose whatever you want to see

Class prefix: COMD

Class Level: gradute

1 hour ago, hopefulspeechie16 said:

@Kanga and whoever else can answer this: do you know if students are permitted to complete their placements out-of-state? I think I heard it was true but i just want to make sure.

I have not asked this/heard anything about this but I'd love to know.  Even if it was just one semester that would save me a TON of money.

Since there isn't really a schedule does anyone know that we'd be done with classes by the last 2 semesters like a "traditional" program or is it just dependent on how many classes you chose to take after the required amount.

@hopefulspeechie16 

@CBG321

When I spoke to the department this weekend, I was told that we will take classes each semester. Typically students only take 2 classes their last semester. With that being said, I would email the department directly and ask if the schedules could be adjusted so you could go home. The woman I spoke to told me that there was one placement in Dallas that girls have requested before but its full work days Monday-Thursday so the department adjusts their schedules accordingly (they would need lots of advance notice to do this of course). So it MIGHT be possible. Again, I would contact the department directly and see what they say :) 

Okay, here is some info on housing we discovered. Caveat.....we visited, we obviously have not lived in any of these properties. So these are impressions of what we saw, heard, etc.

The Villages.

www.thevillageapts.com/

There are 14 communities. We were told by a professor at UT Dallas that the originally community was developed as companies were bringing in lots of young college grads to fill the booming companies. These were developed like a college dorm environment, with community amenities, like baseball fields, a clubhouse, walking trails, etc.

Currently, there are the original apartments (obviously renovated) as well as new complexes (much nicer and prices can be a lot more).

We were there the weekend before Easter and there was a community egg hunt on the fields (free to families living in the Villages) but you could also invite guests for a fee. It looked very nice. Each apartment complex has individual features unique to each, and only for that complex (all have pools, some have fitness centers, clubhouses, etc). In addition, there is what is called the “country club” that is accessible to everyone. This is a clubhouse, restaurant, gym, tennis courts, an Olympic sized swimming pool  that has a bar (think small cabana sized I think) in the summer. The community has sports leagues, book clubs, etc.

What I do think is an advantage is that you can choose to live in a budget apartment (not as fancy, older units) and still have some nicer amenities that are at the “country club”. And if you are in the less expensive apartments, you are still surrounded by really nice ones, the lovely grounds, all the open space, etc

There are a lot of walking trails.

The Villages are pre-wired for Time Warner cable/internet. The complexes have their own rep you contact directly, which makes for an easier installation process. We were told you can choose other options as well.

A feature that seems really nice is that some of the apartments have the electricity, water, trash and gas billed directly to them and you pay your portion (for example, the electricity is metered, so you pay what your apartment uses). But, it means you don’t have to set it up yourself and it can be paid when you pay for rent. You are also paying commercial rates, not private/individual. The apartments that do this tend to be the older ones. Then you only have to set up internet. For example, in The Corners, we were told an average price for these 4 bills is $60-$70 for a 1 bedroom and $100-120 for a 3 bedroom. There are eight of the complexes that do this: Cliffs, Corners, Gate, Green, Hill, Lakes, Meadow, Park

We were told that there is a company called Smith Patrol that monitors the Villages 24 hours per day and there is 24 hour a day emergency maintenance.

All the apartments require renters insurance (we found this in many places, not just the Villages). We were also told that your income generally needs to be 5 times the rent, for parents as guarantors.

It’s about 15-20 minutes from Callier and it’s also about 15-20 minutes from Callier Center at Richardson.

There is a shopping mall really close as well as lots of other shopping.

I made a spreadsheet with all of these apartments, if they have the commercial rates for utilities, allow pets, phone numbers and how many bedrooms in each (efficiency, 1, 2 and/or 3) and any general comments we had after seeing them. If you end up accepting Dallas and want me to send it to you, you can private message me.

On March 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM, CBG321 said:

I'm still deciding but love the information on Dallas it is most likely going to be my choice.  I was also accepted to University of Kansas so I need to take a good look at them first since I already think I ruled out my other acceptance.  

I keep coming back to Dallas' program though it is so unique and has a lot of opportunities.  Only thing holding me back is  the location I think, I know there will be stuff to do but I will miss having mountains and actual hikes with elevation etc etc.  But that's kind of the point of going new places to experience something different so gonna make the most of it.

I was thinking about that when I got accepted to a school in an east-coast suburb. I thought, "What am I going to do when it's freezing for 6 months?" But I guess we'll be so busy with class and clinic that we'll hardly have time to enjoy the outdoor stuff. At least Dallas weather is pleasant compared to the midwest and east coast.

8 hours ago, CBG321 said:

Does anyone know how common group projects/individual projects and presentations are for UTD?

Every class, almost never?  Has anyone found this information?  

Thanks!

This is a quote from KristaLeigh89. It was from page 1 of this thread and was posted in April 2013:  "There actually aren't a ton of group projects/work outside of the class, but often you might work in groups for in-class assignments depending on what class it is!"

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, CBG321 said:

I have some clarification on this. The course catalog says the degree is 48 units, but it is actually 57! Each semester you take 3 units of practicum and then one semester of internship (6 units)

We were told to expect 14 units the fall semester and 15 the spring semester during the fist year.

In terms of the extra $40 fee, that is only for classes with the COMD prefix. So practicum, because it has a HCS prefix, you don'[t pay the extra $40 on those units, just the academic classes. But internship is a COMD class, so you pay the extra $40 on that.

Also, the way UT Dallas works, whatever rate you have for the first semester, you pay that rate all of your semesters. So, if there is a rate increase your second year, you don't pay the rate increase.

19 hours ago, Kanga said:

I have some clarification on this. The course catalog says the degree is 48 units, but it is actually 57! Each semester you take 3 units of practicum and then one semester of internship (6 units)

We were told to expect 14 units the fall semester and 15 the spring semester during the fist year.

In terms of the extra $40 fee, that is only for classes with the COMD prefix. So practicum, because it has a HCS prefix, you don'[t pay the extra $40 on those units, just the academic classes. But internship is a COMD class, so you pay the extra $40 on that.

Also, the way UT Dallas works, whatever rate you have for the first semester, you pay that rate all of your semesters. So, if there is a rate increase your second year, you don't pay the rate increase.

Thank you for the information!  Love the last bit about the rate ceiling!

On 4/3/2016 at 3:52 PM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

I was thinking about that when I got accepted to a school in an east-coast suburb. I thought, "What am I going to do when it's freezing for 6 months?" But I guess we'll be so busy with class and clinic that we'll hardly have time to enjoy the outdoor stuff. At least Dallas weather is pleasant compared to the midwest and east coast.

Did you pick your school yet?  I think it's going to be Dallas, just so many class choices and more things to do.  

23 hours ago, CBG321 said:

I finally accepted UTD!  Whoo hooo decision finally made, what a relief to now focus on apartments and...moving across the country :o.

Congrats!!

I know, right?! That's the scariest part for me....moving to a place where I know no one :unsure:

51 minutes ago, EESpeechie said:

Congrats!!

I know, right?! That's the scariest part for me....moving to a place where I know no one :unsure:

I know i'm browsing apartments online and it is so difficult to sift through them.  They will look great then I check reviews and they are unsafe or dirty or super far away etc...It's going to be a long hunt!  And I know there are going to be a few weeks where we are all wandering around the city solo b/c we don't know anyone!  We should have a meetup once everyone moves in haha.  Try to find some Dallas fun to break the ice.

Dallasite, inbox me if you have any questions or need recommendations!!! :-) I am so happy some of you have chosen my home city!!! I miss it dearly, counting the days to go back home :-)

On March 18, 2016 at 0:49 PM, gradgirl2016 said:

Hey @Schatzie15 ! I just got accepted into the program a few days ago and I'm trying to learn more about it. 

Are work-study positions available to international students? And are assistantships available for Masters students?

I'm hoping you can help :) Thank you!

Hi there, I'm not sure about the answer to these questions. You could email Dr. Stillman or Financial Aid and ask - they would be able to tell you! I know that assistantships are few and far between, if available at all. I don't know how work study functions for international students. Sorry! 

1 hour ago, Schatzie15 said:

Hi there, I'm not sure about the answer to these questions. You could email Dr. Stillman or Financial Aid and ask - they would be able to tell you! I know that assistantships are few and far between, if available at all. I don't know how work study functions for international students. Sorry! 

It seems like UT Dallas has a couple of ways of supporting students financially

no assistantships for Masters level students.

At least some out of state students get in state tuition

We were told that all students who are eligible who want it get work study. To receive work study you have to meet eligibility under FAFSA. You must be a US citizen or eligible non citizen, have a social security number and other requirements noted on the FAFSA. The pay is currently $10.50 per hour and you can get up to 10 hours.

i hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Kanga said:

It seems like UT Dallas has a couple of ways of supporting students financially

no assistantships for Masters level students.

At least some out of state students get in state tuition

We were told that all students who are eligible who want it get work study. To receive work study you have to meet eligibility under FAFSA. You must be a US citizen or eligible non citizen, have a social security number and other requirements noted on the FAFSA. The pay is currently $10.50 per hour and you can get up to 10 hours.

i hope this helps.

There is also a scholarship application on Galaxy you can fill out if you aren't eligible for the FAFSA