So, where are you going this fall?

superhamdi

Congrats! I'm graduating from there, I think you'll love it!

I will go to UWM too! Thanks MKEPhil for giving some hope to me, if you remember. 

Anyway, I would like to ask about the program in more detail. Could I know your e-mail or some other ways to ask you question if you are OK?

Thanks again.

Hey Phil, thoughts on Emory? I ask because you're choosing it over some top programs, and I'm interested in applying there next year. 

Well, I had a very hard time making a decision as DePaul, Stony, Loyola, Oregon, and Emory are all excellent programs. A lot of it, I think, depends on your AOI and also on other particulars the school can offer you (e.g. study abroad opportunities). Emory has a very interesting program as they are very open to interdisciplinary study and hence you can take almost unlimited courses at other related departments. They have a very strong comparative literature department and there is also the Institute for the Liberal Arts, among others. For example, someone in one of those departments will be teaching a seminar on Foucault this fall and someone in the ILA will be teaching French feminism. They also have a very famous Derrida translator at the comp lit department. As such, if you are thinking of Emory this might be something to consider since it greatly expands the areas covered by the department. The philosophy department itself has some heavy weights like Thomas Flynn, Cynthia WIllet, john Stuhr, Donald Verene, and Noelle McAfee. They also just hired a new Kantian (a DePaul graduate) with interests in German Idealism and Critical Theory. Another reason I chose Emory was because of their resources. Since the school has a lot of money, it can offer students a lot of opportunities and flexibility to, for example, go (funded) to conferences and study abroad (without having to necessarily compete for a grant). They require much less TAing than other programs, which frees up time for taking more courses, doing reading groups, etc. So, for me it was a combination of trying to balance the faculty with the resources of the school. But a lot will depend on your AOI. For example if you are into Kant and 19th century German philosophy, then DePaul might be one the strongest programs, covering Kant, Fichte, German Romanticism, and Hegel.

Edited by Philosophy88

contradiction- Congratulations! I feel ya, there are some of us who are glad we got even one offer! I had no idea how competitive it would be, otherwise I would have planned accordingly! Sheesh. But all's well that ends well!

Just out of curiosity, did you apply to any MA programs?

contradiction- Congratulations! I feel ya, there are some of us who are glad we got even one offer! I had no idea how competitive it would be, otherwise I would have planned accordingly! Sheesh. But all's well that ends well!   Just out of curiosity, did you apply to any MA programs?
I did! I was accepted to Ohio University with funding. Brandeis rejected me.

Well, I had a very hard time making a decision as DePaul, Stony, Loyola, Oregon, and Emory are all excellent programs. A lot of it, I think, depends on your AOI and also on other particulars the school can offer you (e.g. study abroad opportunities). Emory has a very interesting program as they are very open to interdisciplinary study and hence you can take almost unlimited courses at other related departments. They have a very strong comparative literature department and there is also the Institute for the Liberal Arts, among others. For example, someone in one of those departments will be teaching a seminar on Foucault this fall and someone in the ILA will be teaching French feminism. They also have a very famous Derrida translator at the comp lit department. As such, if you are thinking of Emory this might be something to consider since it greatly expands the areas covered by the department. The philosophy department itself has some heavy weights like Thomas Flynn, Cynthia WIllet, john Stuhr, Donald Verene, and Noelle McAfee. They also just hired a new Kantian (a DePaul graduate) with interests in German Idealism and Critical Theory. Another reason I chose Emory was because of their resources. Since the school has a lot of money, it can offer students a lot of opportunities and flexibility to, for example, go (funded) to conferences and study abroad (without having to necessarily compete for a grant). They require much less TAing than other programs, which frees up time for taking more courses, doing reading groups, etc. So, for me it was a combination of trying to balance the faculty with the resources of the school. But a lot will depend on your AOI. For example if you are into Kant and 19th century German philosophy, then DePaul might be one the strongest programs, covering Kant, Fichte, German Romanticism, and Hegel.

FYI, you do know that the ILA is being restructured, right? I suppose that won't make much of a difference if the faculty members are staying around. However, I will say that Emory's administration is becoming less interested in interdisciplinary studies. 

FYI, you do know that the ILA is being restructured, right? I suppose that won't make much of a difference if the faculty members are staying around. However, I will say that Emory's administration is becoming less interested in interdisciplinary studies. 

Yep, that was one of my questions when I visited campus. Most of the faculty I would be working with are protected from the restructuring and might even be transferred to the philosophy department. The administration might be less interdisciplinary but it is still much more than other programs, especially between other well-recognized departments.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided tomorrow if it is Missouri or nothing. It depends 95% on how my wife's impending interview goes, and 5% on if I think I'd do better to slow down half a step and focus my applications on good MA programs next season.

Any advice from the gallery?