Is vaccination required to get F1 visa (USA)?

Can someone tell me what are the vaccinations (if any) that is required in order to get F1 visa for USA. Also a weblink would be of good help.

I'm from India by the way, if that helps.

P.S.- I couldn't find any related material on the local consulate's website

Thanks.

like kabelo said, vaccination documents are not required to get a F-1 VISA, but you will have to show that record in order to register / enroll for classes. Obviously, then, if you cannot enroll for the required number of units/credits as a full-time student, then you'll violate your F-1 VISA status, meaning that you are illegally staying in the U.S.

Therefore, they generally will have you to take all the necessary vaccines in school / near by -- should you be missing any vaccines.

I got documents to fill out from my school's medical office before I arrived in the US. They required some vaccinations, all of which I already had so it wasn't a problem. I think there were some things you need to have done before arriving in the US (e.g. for Hepatitis if I remember correctly you to already have 2 out of the 3 shots before arriving in the US, the third one you could get there). I think it wasn't for the F1 itself, but it was still required in order to be able to start studying on time; as mentioned above if you can't enroll on time, after a while you'll be in violation of your student status.

Last time I applied for the F-1 (2 years ago), there was no vaccination requirement. I did, however, have to provide proof of some vaccinations before I could enroll in my school. As these regulation differ from State to State, it depends on which school you're heading to.

How about this weblink: http://www.google.com ;)

Dude, I know I have become lazy after finding gradcafe and look for readily available answers here. But you don't have to point that out ^_^

I got documents to fill out from my school's medical office before I arrived in the US. They required some vaccinations, all of which I already had so it wasn't a problem. I think there were some things you need to have done before arriving in the US (e.g. for Hepatitis if I remember correctly you to already have 2 out of the 3 shots before arriving in the US, the third one you could get there). I think it wasn't for the F1 itself, but it was still required in order to be able to start studying on time; as mentioned above if you can't enroll on time, after a while you'll be in violation of your student status.

Thanks.

like kabelo said, vaccination documents are not required to get a F-1 VISA, but you will have to show that record in order to register / enroll for classes. Obviously, then, if you cannot enroll for the required number of units/credits as a full-time student, then you'll violate your F-1 VISA status, meaning that you are illegally staying in the U.S.

Therefore, they generally will have you to take all the necessary vaccines in school / near by -- should you be missing any vaccines.

Thanks.

I think vaccinations are required for the school, not the visa - my friends who went to Columbia last year had to submit blood test showing they had been immunised for a bunch of things (measles, mumps, rubella, TB?).  One only had low levels of something left so had to get a booster, but the university wouldn't accept the doctor's note re injection and would only accept blood test results - problem was that it takes a few weeks for it to show up in your blood and she was going on a long holiday before going to the US so it would have been really hard to get a blood test done on the road.  So the lesson is, find out what your school requires and get your injections early!  

My school told me that they would prefer to get all my health documents in order by July 31 last year (school year begins Oct 1). However, my school's real regulations were much more lax -- it could have been possible for me to wait until I arrived in September and make the checkup/vaccinations the first order of business under the school's health plan (i.e. free). So, if it's easier for you, you could also contact your school about getting the health stuff completed in the US, after you arrive!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread!

The university that I am going to enroll in doesn't have any immunization requirements. This was confirmed by the university's international admission office.

My question is, as an International student entering U.S. do I need to show any immunization records at the airport or anywhere else even if my university doesn't demand it?

Edited by Eternal Optimist

• 2 weeks later...

I never had to show any immunization reqs at the airport in the many times I've been back and forth. (only to my university in my first semester because mine does have immunization reqs)

• 3 weeks later...

I never had to show any immunization reqs at the airport in the many times I've been back and forth. (only to my university in my first semester because mine does have immunization reqs)

Well, you only need your passport (including. the F-1) and your I-20 at the airport right? At least this is what I read like a thousand times.

I might bring my admissions letter as well just in case, but I would really be freaked out if they'd ask for any medical records. 

Yup. Passport with F1 visa + I-20. Then they will ask you a million dumb questions about the things stated on your F1 + I-20 just to check that you are indeed coming here to study (i.e., why are you coming to the US? What will you study: degree, major? When are you graduating? How are you paying for it? Where are you going to live? - with more or less questions depending on the officer's mood that day). Admissions letter might be a good idea, but I'm willing to bet you won't need it.