Wait list status

westernpolitics

I have been put on a wait list for a very good PhD program, which might use its wait list (but only very close to the April 15th deadline).  Should I wait right until the April 15th deadline before I accept elsewhere, or would that make a bad first impression?

Edited by keabais

I don't think it makes a bad first impression, it just stresses out those of us who are waiting and don't have any acceptances. I'd recommend contacting the school where you're on the waitlist, and let them know your situation - just say you're still very interested, but you need to make a decision soon, and do they have any new information? You can also contact the other school and let them know you are interested but still waiting to hear from one more place.

I have a feeling there are a lot of people in this position as well...

Thanks, DancingHeel, for your response.  I have been in touch with both programs.  The program to which I have been accepted (program A) understands it might not hear from me until close to the April 15th deadline.  I just hate to keep people on the waitlist at program A waiting.  The program where I have been waitlisted (program B) says it should have more information by late tonight.  Program B thinks it will be able to make an offer or two off the waitlist, but says that my area of interest likely won't be its first priority.  Apparently it's more of a pool of applications, rather than a ranked list.  It is starting to make me think I would rather go to program A, because its more interested in my work.  A top-20 program is still okay, right?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use