Studying for the GRE Thread

Tupamaros

I don't recommend this book for those who are comfortable with math, but the Cliff Notes, "Math Review for Standardized Tests," is an excellent place to start if you haven't touched math in years! By the old GRE scale just going through this book alone should get you somewhere in the 600s. Of course, everyone wants to be in the 700s, so you need to do more than just this book. 

Thanks for suggesting this.  I haven't had a math course since my first year of college and not only was that at least a decade ago I was never great at it anyway.  Given my past struggles I'd be happy in the 600s.  This morning I decided to take an online GRE practice test and the results were terrible.  *sigh*  I just ordered the Cliff Notes from the library and am looking forward to a much needed review.

Started: May 2013
Goal scores: V160 Q160 AW4.5
Practice test scores: 155-160, 153-158
Previous GRE scores: none
GRE test date: end of July
Materials: Magoosh premium online

Planning on taking a practice test this week. My magoosh score estimates are lower than I'd like them to be, but I have been busier this summer than I expected.

Hi all!

I've just started studying for the GRE in earnest and I'm in search of good sources of practice questions and full length practice tests. In particular, i want to take a test just to assess myself this week. I have the general GRE guides by Kaplan and ETS, but where else can I find good quality, realistic tests and questions?

Thanks! 

Hi all! I've just started studying for the GRE in earnest and I'm in search of good sources of practice questions and full length practice tests. In particular, i want to take a test just to assess myself this week. I have the general GRE guides by Kaplan and ETS, but where else can I find good quality, realistic tests and questions?   Thanks! 
I am finding Magoosh pretty useful. There are a ton of sample questions and they all have a video explanation, plus you can see how y are doing within each category and difficulty level which is helpful in identifying weak areas. That said, apparently the maths questions are more difficult than the actual test (I hope this is true)!

Started: June 2013
Goal scores: V160 Q160 A5.0
Practice test scores: V156 Q164 (PowerPrep Test)
Previous GRE scores: none
GRE test date: End of July
Materials: Princeton Review (Cracking GRE) & Manhattan Vocabulary Terms

I was honestly shocked at how high I scored on Maths seeing as I haven't done anything related since high school! I definitely need to work on verbal, but I'm happy at where I'm starting. I know for a fact that my vocabulary needs the most improvement (hence my purchase of vocab flash cards)  :wacko:

Edited by mcvcm92

Yo lads. I just finished my gre exam and i got a raw score of 163 quantitative and 159 verbal. Is this good enough for top mechanical engineering schools? I already visited many sites such as those for standard, cornel, etc. but i still need advice. Anyone can help? Hope ur preparations are going well ppl

Yo lads. I just finished my gre exam and i got a raw score of 163 quantitative and 159 verbal. Is this good enough for top mechanical engineering schools? I already visited many sites such as those for standard, cornel, etc. but i still need advice. Anyone can help? Hope ur preparations are going well ppl

What was your percentile rank?

Started: March 2013

Goal scores: V160 - Q 165

Practice test scores: 157 V - 163 Q (Manhattan)

Previous GRE scores: None

GRE test date: June 29th

Materials: Manhattan books, vocabulary words from Kaplan

I have an engineering background, so I think the admissions committee would be a little forgiving with my low vocabulary score, but I'm still going to try my hardest to boost that up to 160 or higher.  The math isn't hard for me, and I'm sure that I can increase the score to at least 165 after I memorize a couple of minuscule concepts.  I've also heard that people have gotten higher GRE test scores compared to their practice test scores if they're using the Manhattan study material.  I hope that's the case!

• 4 years later...

Has anyone here tried Preped? I haven't heard any comment about this.

Although, I have been trying out Magoosh, Preped and Kaplan. Hope I can find the best test prep company to help me. :)