Need your help negotiating this teaching position

nehs

Hello all!

I have been offered a full-time "lecturer" position in the same Dept. as I completed my Master's. I'm not even done with my master's yet, I finish in one month. This position is a temp one-year position for under-grad classes. The pay sounds good. However, I am told that I need to take 4 classes every semester and one for the summer/winter break.

I want to negotiate on this offer saying, I can do 1-2 classes a semester. I need ideas on how to say this? Because I also work in the Industry and , right now, I prefer the industry but this is a good chance to get my feet into the world of teaching/academia which means I can make concrete plans about my PhD (if I happen to like this world). My plan is to keep my current job and take up teaching for 1-2 classes.

Thank You :)

Then just say that - you already have a job that you would hate to give up because this contract that you have been offered is only temporary while the job is not, but you are available (and willing) to teach 1-2 courses a semester. Sounds like a perfectly legitimate response to me.

So, it sounds like you don't want a full-time lecturer position, but are rather interested in adjuncting for the department. 

a 4/4 load sounds typical, or maybe a bit on the low side, for a full time position. 

If you don't want/can't take a full time position, then I'd suggest asking if they would instead be OK with you adjuncting, where they would pay you by course, rather than a full-time salary. 

I don't see it being likely that they'd negotiate down to 1-2 courses and keep you as a full time position. 

I don't see it being likely that they'd negotiate down to 1-2 courses and keep you as a full time position. 

aka "I'd like to take your 'full time' job but only work 15 hours a week." ;)

Good advice above. Maybe they can find some contract teaching separate from this position.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I had posted this about 2 months ago, needed a reply within 2 weeks of that time. I ended up telling the truth. I was told that the position was probably going to be put on hold ( for whatever reason). I informed them that I am willing to do interviews with them for adjunct positions.

Also, a few days back I attended an interview at a small college and got through the interview. Unfortunately, the job is 60 miles away. The travel sounds scary to me.

I didn't know teaching positions are so hard to come by, especially in my field ( computer science).