Undergrad This or that

HemustBeMagic

Quick question (and if when you could answer if you could say your logic behind it that would be appreciated).

I'm a psych B.A. major and i have 1.5 years left in school. I have and will graduate with a B.A. in Psychology and a concentration in developmental psychology which will award me a certificate after graduation. I'm a little vary, even though I'll have a good amount of psych classes and good LoRs about the strength of my major so I was considering a minor in Political Science to beef up my application. OR I have a second option which is a second Concentration in Clinical Human Services. This will also allow me to graduate with honors from my Psych Major.

So my question then becomes, which one is better and will look letter on my application, assuming my GPA and everything would be the same and my GRE scores would be the same (which they will; both sections in the low 90th percentile). EITHER:

• A B.A. in Psychology with a Developmental Psychology Concentration and a Political Science Minor
  • A B.A. in Psychology with a Development Psychology Concentration & A Clinical Human Services Concentration with Psych Honors*

My adviser says 'whichever you want will look nice' but I'm not sure which one. Advice?

*I should note the honors track allows me PSYCH 498/499 (2 honors research 'classes' at my school), presenting at out Undergrad Research Symposium, and a second LOR from another lab mentor since my current lab mentor is at a different school and cannot be my sponsor.

Should also note I intend to go into Clinical Psychology

If I'm looking this as a potential clinical applicant..I'd say the clinical human services sounds a lot more relevant than the political science minor.  If you're wanting to go into clinical, it makes sense to have any sort of clinical repertoire under your belt.  Then again, I don't know how important a minor will be in your application and if you're very strongly interested in political science, I would take it if it interests you that much.  Undergrad is your chance to learn many new things, whereas grad school you won't have as much flexibility.  Research experience, LORS, and GPA/GRE will be a lot more important than what you minored in.  If you're evenly interested in both options, I'd go with the clinical one.

Guest joshw4288

How it sounds is irrelevant. The admissions committees are made of highly intelligent people who have seen just about everything on an application. They will only care about any of these certificates if the certificate has substance. Presenting at a conference is highly useful during applications to graduate school as is LOR's from research advisors who can thus speak to your research capability--something much more important than an instructor who can only attest your ability in their course(s). 

@Kaister: I'm fairly interested in both but might want to do something international so I wanted to prepare myself down the road for being able to apply for a masters program by having those political classes. That was really the only reason for the minor, as a safeguard in case I wanted to do IA further on.

@Josh: I will admit the psych major at my school lacks some  flexibility and pretty much anyone who comes from my school with a psych BA will have the same type of major with a few changes here and there. the Certificates allow me to add Abnormal Psych, Child Adolescence, Advanced Child Psychology, Advanced Behavioral Psychology , and Child Developmental Psychology, classes I wouldn't be able to fit into my schedule. They will also give me the ability to do a clinical lab position to balance out my microbiological lab position. These 2 certificates allow me the ability to present (which the major/minor might allow but not as easily), hence I'm thinking that will be enough substance to validate the certificates?

Plus Membership into Psi Chi if that matters to anyone.

Edited by HemustBeMagic

Umm yeah.. This is a no brainer!!

Take the B.A. in Psychology with a Development Psychology Concentration & A Clinical Human Services Concentration with Psych Honors!!!!

You said the "Magic Words" earlier when you said it allows for more RESEARCH opportunities!!!!

As we all know, no one has ever been turned down for not being political enough, but MANY have been turned for insufficient amount research experience!!!!

(Sorry if I seem insistent, having a bad day and I came into this question with my panties in a bunch..lol.. That being said, GET THE DEGREE W/ THE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY!!!!! )

Whats most important in this case is "What do YOU want to go to graduate school for?"

If it's a masters, I don't think it matters much as long as you have a BA degree, research experience and decent LoR's

However, if you are applying to programs that have like an average of a 3.7 GPA admit then maybe the minor will help? I've been told multiple times it doesn't matter what the paper says, just the courses you have taken. Well at least thats what the chair of my dept. tells me.

Do what interests you most- you will learn the most from it, and I think it's important to have other knowledge and experiences that you can draw from in your Psychology career. Also, you might regret being so narrow-focused later in life. Pick whatever interests you, and as long as you still have a Psych major, you're good. Plus, some areas of Psychology can overlap with areas of political science- you might find your niche.

Edited by PsychGirl1

Umm yeah.. This is a no brainer!!

Take the B.A. in Psychology with a Development Psychology Concentration & A Clinical Human Services Concentration with Psych Honors!!!!

You said the "Magic Words" earlier when you said it allows for more RESEARCH opportunities!!!!

As we all know, no one has ever been turned down for not being political enough, but MANY have been turned for insufficient amount research experience!!!!

(Sorry if I seem insistent, having a bad day and I came into this question with my panties in a bunch..lol.. That being said, GET THE DEGREE W/ THE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY!!!!! )

This. RESEARCH, and the authorship cred for the poster presentation, are invaluable.