MA Clinical Psychology - University of Toronto Scarborough

3minutes

Has anyone applied to the MA program in Clinical Psychology at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)? Applications were open for a 2 week period in March, and they were closed on the 28th of March. This past friday payment for the applications were closed, and I was told by the admin coordinator that calls for interviews were supposed to go out this week. 

Also, it states that offers of admission are going out after the 25th of April. 

My question is, has anyone been called for an interview or are they just giving out offers? I'm just confused as to what the protocol of this program is! 

A friend of a friend was just accepted last week. Clinical psych programs are highly competitive. Typically 250 people apply for less than 10 spots. Best of luck!

Edited by jenste

A friend of a friend was just accepted last week. Clinical psych programs are highly competitive. Typically 250 people apply for less than 10 spots. Best of luck!

Not that I applied or anything, I'm just curious...but did your friend already work with his/her soon-to-be advisor? The reason I and many of my friends did not apply was because we had heard from many people that the faculty were most likely taking people who have already been working with them (e.g. volunteer RA), or who were in the General psychology MA/PhD stream and were allowed to switch over to Clinical. Anywho that is a major accomplishment, congrats to your friend!

Nope, not even from the same city.

Not that I applied or anything, I'm just curious...but did your friend already work with his/her soon-to-be advisor? The reason I and many of my friends did not apply was because we had heard from many people that the faculty were most likely taking people who have already been working with them (e.g. volunteer RA), or who were in the General psychology MA/PhD stream and were allowed to switch over to Clinical. Anywho that is a major accomplishment, congrats to your friend!

Nope, not even from the same city.

Thanks for the update from your friend.

Do you know if your friend was interviewed? Or if they were accepted later on last week (Thursday/Friday) or earlier? I realize you may not know but I figure it's worth a shot!

I didn't ask, but at most schools people are given an interview over the phone if they live out of town and if they make the cut (for instance, made it to a supervisor's top 10) they have to go to an in-person interview before the supervisor chooses the top candidate for their lab.

I don't know much about the process of getting into U of T, but I know a bunch of people admitted to clinical psych at other Canadian schools and everyone had an interview. You could get away with not getting an interview if you are applying to an M.A. in Counselling from the department of Education, for instance. But clinical psych is one of the toughest psych programs to get into (if not the toughest) and they are highly selective about their candidates.

Best of luck on your applications!

Edited by jenste

I didn't ask, but at most schools people are given an interview over the phone if they live out of town and if they make the cut (for instance, made it to a supervisor's top 10) they have to go to an in-person interview before the supervisor chooses the top candidate for their lab.

I don't know much about the process of getting into U of T, but I know a bunch of people admitted to clinical psych at other Canadian schools and everyone had an interview. You could get away with not getting an interview if you are applying to an M.A. in Counselling from the department of Education, for instance. But clinical psych is one of the toughest psych programs to get into (if not the toughest) and they are highly selective about their candidates.

Best of luck on your applications!

Thanks for your helpful hints, I really appreciate it. 

I guess it is safe to say UTSC is not in the cards for me this year. I appreciate you posting in here to let us know about your friend! :)