First summer?

In trying to make a decision about housing (graduate housing vs. off campus options), I came to factor in the length of leases. For the most part, I think it's safe to say that off campus housing options will require a full year's lease. Of course, there are a lot of month to month and 6 month leases, but I'm selecting the worst case scenario I suppose. On the other hand, graduate housing has the normal year lease, but also provides an academic year lease, which is more or less 9 months. 

As it seems that many new graduate students are from another location and need to establish residency, I might assume that the shorter option lease doesn't factor in too much when considering graduate housing or off campus. However, I was wondering how people plan to, or have in the past, covered their living expenses when school's not in session. A (PhD student) friend joked that I might have to work in a pizzeria to take care of rent and all, but I'm wondering if that might actually be a reality. I would hope to find teaching positions within my university or nearby community colleges, but I was wondering what others (plan to) do in their first summer, and whether that affects their housing decisions.

I may be missing something, but why would it be very difficult to cover normal living expenses with your stipend? Does it not cover summer months/is not a 12-month stipend?

I honestly don't know how common it is to be able to find teaching positions in the very first summer itself. 

I'm hoping to make use of the language immersion program or other similar programs to seriously get my first foreign language requirement covered. Mine is a 12-month stipend and my SO will (hopefully!) have found employment by then, so I don't expect living problems for the summer. 

I may be missing something, but why would it be very difficult to cover normal living expenses with your stipend? Does it not cover summer months/is not a 12-month stipend?

I think 9-month stipends are pretty common. My plan is just to save enough money from my stipend each month so that I can pay rent over the summer and then hopefully I'll be able to find a job to pay for food and other stuff. Luckily I only have to worry about that for the first summer because summer funding kicks in after that.

As for the housing question, I think it's quite possible to sublease your apartment out if you have somewhere where you can live during the summer; I got my realtor to find someone to take over my lease this summer and I'm moving home to save money for my move in August.

A (PhD student) friend joked that I might have to work in a pizzeria to take care of rent and all, but I'm wondering if that might actually be a reality. I would hope to find teaching positions within my university or nearby community colleges, but I was wondering what others (plan to) do in their first summer, and whether that affects their housing decisions.

In my area, yes, that's a reality, especially if you're in your first couple of years (the one or two summer teaching positions and summer funding goes to the more advanced students). Some people save up enough from their stipends to make it through the summer, but I have members of my cohort who work retail or in the library to make ends meet. Personally, I'll be freelance editing this summer, which is more attractive, but I'm constantly worried about making enough money to get myself through the summer.

I know this isn't directly related to our field, but don't forget about summer camps! I put myself through college through summer camp jobs, both residential and day. It's a perfect summer job: it typically only lasts for six to eight weeks, pays decently, and is super fun. And they usually hire a ton of staff. I am teaching this upcoming summer, but I plan on finding summer job director gigs for future summers. 

In my area, yes, that's a reality, especially if you're in your first couple of years (the one or two summer teaching positions and summer funding goes to the more advanced students). Some people save up enough from their stipends to make it through the summer, but I have members of my cohort who work retail or in the library to make ends meet. Personally, I'll be freelance editing this summer, which is more attractive, but I'm constantly worried about making enough money to get myself through the summer.

It's good to know (though unfortunate) that this is a common experience with PhD students.

I know this isn't directly related to our field, but don't forget about summer camps! I put myself through college through summer camp jobs, both residential and day. It's a perfect summer job: it typically only lasts for six to eight weeks, pays decently, and is super fun. And they usually hire a ton of staff. I am teaching this upcoming summer, but I plan on finding summer job director gigs for future summers. 

I have a friend who did summer camps when he returned stateside from teaching abroad. That seems like a good opportunity to look into.

It looks like the PhD is the ultimate hustle.

And amusement parks, tourist traps, national parks, etc. always hire sumer positions that are short-term and easy to leave. I wouldn't look at taking on a non-teaching job during the summer as a bad thing, but you can also adjunct nearby or online, or teach in summer programs or kids. 

I worked at a Jewish day camp every summer during my MA and loathed every excruciating minute.

I worked at a Jewish day camp every summer during my MA and loathed every excruciating minute.

Truth. I spent a few summers running athletic camps for kids (ages 8-15), and it was the worst. Half of the kids were only there because a week at camp was much cheaper than day care. Some really wanted to learn the sport, and others had absolutely no interest. The money can be really good, though, with high-level training camps. Still, I will be looking to work at my university over the summer. I've been told that nearly all PhD students can teach or RA over the summers at my school. I hope that's the case, because I would much prefer to teach rather than looking for some other work. 

Well, so I guess there's a small caveat: the summer camp mostly works well for those who like working with kids. Me? I love the imagination, energy, and mess of kids, so summer camp is the place for me. I gave a presentation at NCTE on how to tailor camp games in the college classroom to inspire student engagement and improve retention. Hell, I even have a tattoo of my camp's logo... So yeah. I'm a bit camp-obsessed. ;)

I moved to the town where I'm getting my MA about a month before school started. I had enough money saved from my previous job to cover the first two months of rent, moving fees and not much else. But I found out my campus bookstore was hiring for the back to school rush, so I applied and got hired. And they actually let me start working in July instead of the week before school started since I was already in town. They also let me come back during winter break, and I just started up again this week and will probably work through the summer as long as there's enough hours available. It's a pretty nice job :D.