Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I am wishful that today is the day, but I am getting the sense that we will only find out next week. Hope I am wrong!

Yeah, I'm hopeful as well, but this week feels a lot like last week as far as no solid evidence. Unless they've completely changed protocol in regards to notifying FPA's, I'm also thinking next week it might be.

I find myself irrationally angry that is wasn't last week or this week (irrational as they did say the 30/31st). However, I'm now terrified since I know it'll be next week...

If nothing happens this week, next week is going to be MISERABLE (if it is Friday).  I will be in a computer lab working on an extra-cirricular STATA thing.  I will have internet and be surrounded by 30 of my peers and one faculty member.  How I could avoid checking email at that time is beyond me!

I find myself irrationally angry that is wasn't last week or this week (irrational as they did say the 30/31st). However, I'm now terrified since I know it'll be next week...

It really is something that makes me so angry, especially because there's no reason for it. They have to know the results by now and are holding them just because. 

BOY, am I glad I found this forum! I'm a second time applicant for an ETA to Greece and when the 18th passed with no notification, I started freaking out. Since I'm out of school, I didn't know who else is applying and my Facebook stalking procured no clues, so seeing fellow applicants collectively bemoan this year's late notification just lifted a huge weight off my chest. I'm expecting us to find out next week so that if we happen to find out today, we'll be pleasantly surprised. You all sound like a talented and ambitious bunch! Good luck to everyone!!

I wish that they would at least update the stats so that we know our odds for this round! I'm going to laugh when only 10 people applied for my country and so everyone was a shoo-in for the first round, yet I'm sitting here freaking out all day for weeks and having nightmares.

Oh well, another Friday of not getting any work done while I stalk this page and update my gmail every 2 seconds. Please keep up the memes to entertain the 50-strong following this forum has right now.

BOY, am I glad I found this forum! I'm a second time applicant for an ETA to Greece and when the 18th passed with no notification, I started freaking out. Since I'm out of school, I didn't know who else is applying and my Facebook stalking procured no clues, so seeing fellow applicants collectively bemoan this year's late notification just lifted a huge weight off my chest. I'm expecting us to find out next week so that if we happen to find out today, we'll be pleasantly surprised. You all sound like a talented and ambitious bunch! Good luck to everyone!!

That's exactly how I felt! I just graduated with my M.A. so I applied At-large and not through my school...I've been sitting here freaking out, scouring the internet for clues when I came across this forum. As of last night...the dreams have started in...hahahaha. Praying today is the day, but it doesn't look promising....

BurstingAtTheSeams, glad you found us.  This board was really helpful with my grad school freak outs, too.  I mostly lurked under a different username but it was still helpful!  I can't even remember who I was now, come to think of it...

To all lawyers/young professionals: how much did your experience as a lawyer (or whatever job) play into your personal statement and grant proposal?

On the law side, I am mostly interested in juvenile law and animal law. I was a prosecutor for several years handling juvenile court, mental health commitment hearings, and adult misdemeanors. I have worked at multiple mid size law firms too. For recommendations, I used opposing counsel. They are the ones who see me in action at the courthouse everyday, so I went with them.

I have not mentioned that I applied to my current employer. As someone else  mentioned, why risk losing your job when nothing is finalized yet. Same as when you are looking for another firm to join...do your job until something better comes along and there is a solid offer on the table.

I wish that they would at least update the stats so that we know our odds for this round! I'm going to laugh when only 10 people applied for my country and so everyone was a shoo-in for the first round, yet I'm sitting here freaking out all day for weeks and having nightmares.

Oh well, another Friday of not getting any work done while I stalk this page and update my gmail every 2 seconds. Please keep up the memes to entertain the 50-strong following this forum has right now.

As requested :)

6d9vm.jpg

Thanks :)  Yes, my species is endemic to Indonesia. Funny story - I actually worked with chimpanzees for years and was a total ape girl. My Master's should have focused on gorillas, but a huge problem occurred at the very start of my project and I had to switch species. I fell in love with the gregarious monkey I switched to and decided that my PhD would focus on them as well.

Your project sounds really fascinating. Indonesia has been subject to rule by so many outside regions, their entire culture and language is a hodgepodge.  I actually stayed in an old Dutch mansion in Bogor, Jawa while I was getting some permits on my last trip. Supposedly it was haunted - but I never saw a ghost. Out of curiosity, how did you decide on yours?

I hope we both get to go as well!  

Wow! Isn't it funny how these things turn out? It's so cool that you were able to stay in one of the old colonial homes during your visit to Bogor, it sounds so glamorous. Glad you didn't get eaten by a ghost. :-P

The way I came by my project was also a little roundabout. I grew up here in the U.S. and my father is Dutch. Our family history was always unclear because my dad doesn't talk about it, and he's the only one from his family who speaks good English. 

After I learned Dutch, I was able to communicate with my Dutch grandparents for the first time. It turned out that that whole side of the family was deeply involved, ethnically and politically, in the Indonesian uprising in the 1940s. Also, our family left Indonesia because we were mixed Dutch-Indonesian - a unique class that was neither fully European, with all the privileges that entailed, nor fully Indonesian and thus able to participate in the new state.

I did more research, one thing led to another, and now a few years have gone by and I'm still working with post-colonialist themes. So yeah, it's a very personal, identity-based project.  :P

Edit: Here's my contribution to the memes floating around:

45190415.jpg

Edited by SaraBlue

I just left one meeting as the students who WILL take comps were coming in for their pre-comps meeting.  Lots of stressed out faces.  Makes me even more stressed since they are my friends!

So glad at least that is over.  But good luck to all of you struggling with that.  It's really not bad if you take it seriously.  I thought for sure they would fail me but no one on my committee was ever intending to and I did just fine.

And of course it would be today that the forces of the universe would conspire to crash the student email system. If this wasn't real life, I'd be tempted to laugh at the irony.

Actually.. I think it's gmail... all my gmail accounts are dead right now. 

(including my gmail powered school email)

Edited by Secret_Ninja