Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Asking as a fellow Indonesia applicant - what specifically are you looking to research there?

I am a primatologist and will be exploring the effects of anthropogenic influence (tourism and range restriction) over multiple behavioral and physiological levels on a critically endangered species in order to make recommendations for their management and improve their overall conservation. I already made two very short preliminary trips there to meet my collaborators in person and ensure that my idea was feasible. This way I can hit the ground running once I go back. 

How about you?

It is totally possible that perhaps we do not have the wonderful privilege of having an FPA who is in the loop. It seems unlikely based on how many people use this thread, but it is still possible. Also, considering how weird this year seems to be compared to others, I imagine they could just release the emails before telling anyone or that it could be next week. 

Still hoping my FPA has inside info when he said: "I suspect you'll hear this week," but he claims to be out of the loop!

Mine said that he was told it would probably be last Friday and that he assumes it will be this week but unlike other years, they haven't gotten any word or heads up.  He said it may just be different this year.  Regardless, he said, firm deadline WILL be the 31st although he's never seen it take that long.  He said he's nervous for the 30 of us with irons in the pot, too.  I don't envy him.  That's a lot of people calling his office just for this one fellowship!

I'm going to launch into pure, unnecessary speculation, but there's also a possibility (though probably low probability) that the protocol has been changed such that the FPAs are no longer notified in advance. Much more likely that we'll just be notified next week, but always room for wild speculation ;)

I would say your speculation makes sense. I know they had to have gotten some complaints last year when Smith College published the names of "recommendees" on their website before applicants were even notified. Not telling the FPA's in advance would save them some grief, I'm sure. 

Mine said that he was told it would probably be last Friday and that he assumes it will be this week but unlike other years, they haven't gotten any word or heads up.  He said it may just be different this year.  Regardless, he said, firm deadline WILL be the 31st although he's never seen it take that long.  He said he's nervous for the 30 of us with irons in the pot, too.  I don't envy him.  That's a lot of people calling his office just for this one fellowship!

I would say your speculation makes sense. I know they had to have gotten some complaints last year when Smith College published the names of "recommendees" on their website before applicants were even notified. Not telling the FPA's in advance would save them some grief, I'm sure. 

@overworkedta: Thank you for sharing this! Good to know we are just as equally confused as the FPAs.

@zjlb79: It would save IIE some grief and also save the FPAs from the awkward position of having to tell someone they aren't recommended. Some applicants create great working relationships with their FPA and I'm sure it would be uncomfortable for them to have to share bad news, especially if the FPA put in a lot of effort too into the application with revisions, etc. Plus, while I'm sure Smith was excited to share the good news about their recommended applicants that must have been salt in the wounds for those who didn't get recommended to see that list up on their university's page.

Being on gradcafe reminds me of the time I was looking at grad school decisions. Ugh, I never imagined being in this website again, anxiously awaiting for news...sigh. 

@overworkedta: Thank you for sharing this! Good to know we are just as equally confused as the FPAs.

@zjlb79: It would save IIE some grief and also save the FPAs from the awkward position of having to tell someone they aren't recommended. Some applicants create great working relationships with their FPA and I'm sure it would be uncomfortable for them to have to share bad news, especially if the FPA put in a lot of effort too into the application with revisions, etc. Plus, while I'm sure Smith was excited to share the good news about their recommended applicants that must have been salt in the wounds for those who didn't get recommended to see that list up on their university's page.

I cannot believe Smith did that! I'm sure there were a lot of students who didn't get recommended and we upset about finding out that way. Even if I were on the recommended list, I'd still be concerned I didn't make it and that it was a mistake or something.

Just reiterating some of the users sentiments from last year:

My routine in all of my classes today:
*checks grad cafe*
*checks email*
*checks grad cafe*
*checks email*
*reloads email*
*looks up at professor for less than a minute*
Repeat...

Just reiterating some of the users sentiments from last year:

My routine in all of my classes today:

*checks grad cafe*

*checks email*

*checks grad cafe*

*checks email*

*reloads email*

*looks up at professor for less than a minute*

Repeat...

Literally what I'm doing right now. This wait is awful. Fulbrights for EVERYONE!

Nice!

Speaking of anxiety--do all countries interview recommended applicants? Are they done only in that country's language? I applied for a CLEA because my Chinese definitely isn't where it needs to be to do this project after 3-ish years of study (Chinese is HARD, man!), and I'm afraid I'd do poorly in an all-Chinese interview despite doing well in classes and being considered "advanced"...

Edited by Oliebollen

https://m.facebook.com/KeithJohnstoneACriticalBiography/posts/812544508761358

Saw this by stalking twitter but am at work so can't do broader research on this person--is this a different type of Fulbright than the one for which most of us have applied?

I think it's the PhD level research grant.

I think it's the PhD level research grant.

That's the one I applied for, and I haven't heard anything yet.  All Fulbright U.S. student awards, whether for studying or doing full-time research abroad, have the same deadline and announcement dates.

That's the one I applied for, and I haven't heard anything yet.  All Fulbright U.S. student awards, whether for studying or doing full-time research abroad, have the same deadline and announcement dates.

What I meant is the program for those who already have a PhD or terminal degree, like professors, etc.

Nice!

Speaking of anxiety--do all countries interview recommended applicants? Are they done only in that country's language? I applied for a CLEA because my Chinese definitely isn't where it needs to be to do this project after 3-ish years of study (Chinese is HARD, man!), and I'm afraid I'd do poorly in an all-Chinese interview despite doing well in classes and being considered "advanced"...

I am not sure. I haven't heard of any interviews for applicants to France, but China may be different.

Kudos to you btw for learning Chinese (it does seem ridiculously hard).