Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

For those of you who are applying to research/study at a specific university for the Fulbright, are you still applying there separately or are you only planning on attending if you get the Fulbright?

The Fulbright I applied to required me to apply to the PhD program separately and I have to be accepted by the university to be eligible for the Fulbright.

For those of you who are applying to research/study at a specific university for the Fulbright, are you still applying there separately or are you only planning on attending if you get the Fulbright?

My proposal consists of research as a visiting scholar, followed by an artist residency. If I don't get the Fulbright, I'll still do the latter, but not the former.

If I don't get the Fulbright, I won't necessarily need any University affiliation; my project is at the point of independent research.  But, that being said, I'm hoping Fulbright (and/or one of the other grants I applied to) will give me the funding I need!

I am just applying for a full grant.  The institution I have chosen (well, really a department and a research centre at the same uni) has said it will try to nail down funding for me if I don't get it.  The contact up there also said a prof that commutes from far away but has an apartment in the city may let me stay with them and conduct interviews.  They have also promised office space for however long I choose to stay.  I thought it sounded good.  If that doesn't work out and I can get a visa for at least part of the year, they may also wrestle up some other funding.  It's not the end of the line.  It's just the easiest way.  Basically, I would be responsible for food/travel costs (which is just me driving up there).  I am luckier than most who have to fly!

The Fulbright I applied to required me to apply to the PhD program separately and I have to be accepted by the university to be eligible for the Fulbright.

Do most of the Ph.D ones require it? I'm not applying for one of those, but I'm just curious. 

Kbui, congrats on those others and good luck!

Cewarren, yeah. I plan on being on the couch with my bf when the results come. And then depending on how I feel, we may go out to dinner. I would like to go out for drinks but I have to teach my 9 am the next day.

We live parallel lives. If it is good news I will have a glass of wine and read over my lecture for my 9am class on Wed one last time. If it is bad news I will have 2 glasses of wine and be asleep by 9pm. 

I don't have anything planned for tomorrow. I think I'm going to get some angry orchard and just relax. Try to do some school work. I'm not even sure if I'll open the email right away. I do know I want to be alone, just in case I have some emotional reaction. It might be awkward for my friends.

Fulbright Colombia just contacted me asking for an Interview in Spanish via skype. Does anyone have advice? If you took it last year, what were some of the general questions? I might not even make it to Jan. 31st for the interview because my nerves are killing me.

Thanks!

Fulbright Colombia just contacted me asking for an Interview in Spanish via skype. Does anyone have advice? If you took it last year, what were some of the general questions? I might not even make it to Jan. 31st for the interview because my nerves are killing me.

Thanks!

Well, congratulations! It sure sounds like you have been recommended. :-)

Hi all..first time poster, although I've been reading the Fulbright forum ever since I started applying many, many months ago! I can't wait to hear about the results tomorrow - fingers crossed for us all! 

I should have joined months ago...the only other person from my university who applied was not a very good resource. I'm getting nervous because we are both applying for research grants in Italy. I don't know if applying from the same university to the same country has some sort of added competition, but he did not submit an affiliation nor a language evaluation. His application was still accepted by our university & submitted to Fulbright...what are the chances it would be recommended for final review without these two components? I'm getting so nervous because his is a relatively contemporary topic & mine is more historical. Eeeeeek - I am overthinking everything! Can't wait to find out. 

We live parallel lives. If it is good news I will have a glass of wine and read over my lecture for my 9am class on Wed one last time. If it is bad news I will have 2 glasses of wine and be asleep by 9pm.

Yes and yes. I have good local mozz stocked to snack on about that time tomorrow, too. I'm so nervous that eating has been hard. I love to cool but then eating is tedious. Good luck!

Thanks!

Awesome!  I just got the same notice as of about 7 minutes ago!  As Cynti says, it was from Fulbright Colombia, not the IIE in New York, so it looks like another case of specific programs jumping the gun a little bit.  Congrats, Cynti, nerves are gonna be wrecked for the rest of the week but at least it's not such a ridiculously long wait.  

For those interested, email looked like this:

" ___________ ,

Greetings from Fulbright Colombia!  We are contacting you regarding your application for the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program.

We would like to have a short interview (approximately 10 minutes) with you next Friday, January 31, 2014 at 01:5pm (EST) The interview will be in Spanish.

This interview will be conducted via Skype. Please send us your Skype username and we will add you as a contact from our account, ______________ .

Please confirm that you have received this message, and I look forward to speaking with you this Friday."

I'll share the email i got last week. I asked my advisor if this meant I got recommended but she isn't sure.....I hope I did. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Fulbright Grant Applicant,

Greetings from Finland! Your Fulbright application has arrived to the Fulbright Center in Helsinki. We would like to ask you few questions related to your application and the status of your plans. Please answer the questions in the attached form and  return it to_______by January 22, 2014 . After we have received your completed form your Fulbright application can be further processed.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Awesome!  I just got the same notice as of about 7 minutes ago!  As Cynti says, it was from Fulbright Colombia, not the IIE in New York, so it looks like another case of specific programs jumping the gun a little bit.  Congrats, Cynti, nerves are gonna be wrecked for the rest of the week but at least it's not such a ridiculously long wait.  

For those interested, email looked like this:

" ___________ ,

Greetings from Fulbright Colombia!  We are contacting you regarding your application for the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program.

We would like to have a short interview (approximately 10 minutes) with you next Friday, January 31, 2014 at 01:5pm (EST) The interview will be in Spanish.

This interview will be conducted via Skype. Please send us your Skype username and we will add you as a contact from our account, ______________ .

Please confirm that you have received this message, and I look forward to speaking with you this Friday."

I'm just confused because I thought ETAs didn't do interviews. My friend didn't last year for ETA Fulbright Colombia. Maybe it's because so many applied this year. Congrats Raymondnorth! Thanks for responding!

Hi all..first time poster, although I've been reading the Fulbright forum ever since I started applying many, many months ago! I can't wait to hear about the results tomorrow - fingers crossed for us all! 

I should have joined months ago...the only other person from my university who applied was not a very good resource. I'm getting nervous because we are both applying for research grants in Italy. I don't know if applying from the same university to the same country has some sort of added competition, but he did not submit an affiliation nor a language evaluation. His application was still accepted by our university & submitted to Fulbright...what are the chances it would be recommended for final review without these two components? I'm getting so nervous because his is a relatively contemporary topic & mine is more historical. Eeeeeek - I am overthinking everything! Can't wait to find out. 

Welcome to the forum (or as I like to call it Anxiety Fest 2014)!

If it's a regular student research grant, I find it very strange that the university would submit his application without those components given the following requirements:

"Proficient spoken and written Italian commensurate with the project is required at the time of application. Language study begun after applying is considered insufficient. The U.S.-Italy Fulbright Commission will make no provision for Italian language instruction."

"A letter of invitation/affiliation must be submitted with the application."

I'll share what I got from Australia on the 13th:

Dear Australia Fulbright Candidate,

All applicants will be notified by the end of January as to whether or not their applications have been recommended for final consideration in the host country.  This message is NOT an indication that a candidate has been recommended, but rather it is an update on the review process.

For Australia candidates, the Fulbright Commission has decided to implement skype/teleconference interviews for some recommended candidates.  For those candidates selected for interviews, the commission is tentatively planning to schedule them for times on February 12th and/or February 13th.

Recommended candidates who are selected for interviews will receive additional information sometime after IIE has sent out the status update emails notifying candidates whether or not their applications have been recommended for final review.

I applied for a Full Grant to Colombia and didn't get an interview e-mail, but for the Full I did have a language evaluation form I had to submit. If your interview is in Spanish, I can help you guys by giving you a mock interview if you wish. Cheers!