Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I'll share what I got from Australia on the 13th:

Dear Australia Fulbright Candidate,

All applicants will be notified by the end of January as to whether or not their applications have been recommended for final consideration in the host country. This message is NOT an indication that a candidate has been recommended, but rather it is an update on the review process.

For Australia candidates, the Fulbright Commission has decided to implement skype/teleconference interviews for some recommended candidates. For those candidates selected for interviews, the commission is tentatively planning to schedule them for times on February 12th and/or February 13th.

Recommended candidates who are selected for interviews will receive additional information sometime after IIE has sent out the status update emails notifying candidates whether or not their applications have been recommended for final review.

Has anyone else heard of ETA programs doing skype interviews?? Now I'm really nervous

I think it usually says in the program description page whether there is an interview component or not? Germany definitely does not have an interview component.

I applied for a Full Grant to Colombia and didn't get an interview e-mail, but for the Full I did have a language evaluation form I had to submit. If your interview is in Spanish, I can help you guys by giving you a mock interview if you wish. Cheers!

Yes, they are in Spanish. I will take you up on that offer. It is the first year that this is implemented, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks so much!

Yes, they are in Spanish. I will take you up on that offer. It is the first year that this is implemented, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks so much!

You're welcome send me you skype name via private message and I can send you a friend request. We can do it after tomorrow night since I have class on Tuesdays from 6-9 PM, yuck. 

I applied for a Full Grant to Colombia and didn't get an interview e-mail, but for the Full I did have a language evaluation form I had to submit. If your interview is in Spanish, I can help you guys by giving you a mock interview if you wish. Cheers!

ibette, I definitely don't think you need to worry (any more than normal, of course) - haven't seen anyone else chime in but it looks like it was just Colombia ETA applicants that got interview requests this afternoon.  I appreciate the offer for a practice interview, you're really too kind.  I'm gonna try to focus mainly on going back to my supplemental project and making sure I'm ready to articulate that effectively...  For the past several months I've been focusing on PhD applications and had to try to intentionally imagine myself not getting the Fulbright so that I could propose research ideas that aren't contingent on (but may be enriched by) being whisked away to Colombia for 10 months and therefore deferring any grad school offers.

So not all candidates are interviewed? and it's an additional step before the final review? Ok, yea I'm freaking out.

While I think after tomorrow's IIE notice on recommendations we can probably wager that each country/program will have its own unique process, it looks like the Australia email was just giving forewarning about the type of email that we just got.  It's probably safe to say that last paragraph you quoted means just that Australia's not planning on sending out interview requests until after IIE sends their recommendation updates.  The fact that not all recommended candidates may be interviewed is kind of strange, but I'm gonna try not to overthink it.

ibette, I definitely don't think you need to worry (any more than normal, of course) - haven't seen anyone else chime in but it looks like it was just Colombia ETA applicants that got interview requests this afternoon.  I appreciate the offer for a practice interview, you're really too kind.  I'm gonna try to focus mainly on going back to my supplemental project and making sure I'm ready to articulate that effectively...  For the past several months I've been focusing on PhD applications and had to try to intentionally imagine myself not getting the Fulbright so that I could propose research ideas that aren't contingent on (but may be enriched by) being whisked away to Colombia for 10 months and therefore deferring any grad school offers.

While I think after tomorrow's IIE notice on recommendations we can probably wager that each country/program will have its own unique process, it looks like the Australia email was just giving forewarning about the type of email that we just got.  It's probably safe to say that last paragraph you quoted means just that Australia's not planning on sending out interview requests until after IIE sends their recommendation updates.  The fact that not all recommended candidates may be interviewed is kind of strange, but I'm gonna try not to overthink it.

Thanks raymondnorth. I'll try to do the same. I'm just going to prepare as best as I can. Thank you!

Tomorrow, at 3 ish, I imagine we'll all need some psyching!  music-share, I say...

We should create a Fulbright notification playlist! :D

Actually, there were songs I listened to repeatedly while working on my application to keep me psyched up. Did anyone else do the same?

We should create a Fulbright notification playlist! :D

Actually, there were songs I listened to repeatedly while working on my application to keep me psyched up. Did anyone else do the same?

I listed mostly to a mix of traditional and modern British folk music...because, you know, I applied to the UK...

But I agree with this playlist thing!  Here's my first contribution, to help you all feel a little more optimistic...there is some NSFW language here...

Edited by Nrrrdgrrrl

I listed mostly to a mix of traditional and modern British folk music...because, you know, I applied to the UK...

But I agree with this playlist thing!  Here's my first contribution, to help you all feel a little more optimistic...there is some NSFW language here...

Lol XD At first I was thinking "what do vampires have to do with Fulbright?", then it clicked.

One of mine is by New Radicals "You Get What You Give." It was great when I was absolutely fed up with my SOGP or PS.

RAM, and Discovery albums,I am also glad that they won so many awards yesterday, yeeee.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TBXv37PFcAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love Daft Punk! "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is so iconic.

I love Daft Punk! "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is so iconic.

Yess I love the whole Discovery and Homework series, my personal statement discussed some of the things that happened when I was small and listening to these guys was pretty helpful in recalling fun memories and how they shaped me. 

By the way, I was checking on the spreadsheet and noticed that the Column for Host Affiliations is "off." Not sure since when or if it can be reversed/fixed, but if you guys wouldn't mind updating that column that would be great. 

If I don't get recommended (like I did last year), I'm going to drink a bottle of bourbon and listen to every Tom Waits album I have (while wallowing in self-pity and despair). If I get recommended, I'm going to do the same think but with Sister Christian by Night Ranger on repeat (oh, and without the self-pity and despair).

(you're welcome for this link to this glorious song)

ITS TRRRRUUUUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!!

MMOTTORRRIIIINNNGGGGGGG! WHATS YOUR PRICE FOR FLIGHT!>??!