Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

But the mention of the ETA grant makes me think they are confused. Those are only for students.

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in primary and secondary schools or universities overseas - improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student's own language skills and knowledge of the host country. ETAs may also pursue individual study/research plans in addition to their teaching responsibilities - See more at: http://exchanges.state.gov/us/program/fulbright-english-teaching-assistant-program#sthash.RU8EB4UM.dpuf

If we get past this stage, do people at the host affiliation actually see our application?  Or is it just in-country government-types?

From what I understand, it's the Fulbright dual committee, or the committee assigned to review applicants that go into their country. The affiliation letters are used more heavily at that stage as well as the statement of grant purpose to determine if the country of interest is willing to have the project/ETA come in. I imagine it would vary if you are applying to specific programs with host affiliations already pre-determined though. 

Edited by ibette

Well it specifically says "Fulbright Scholar" so it could be that it's not the US Student program. That program has completely different timelines.

From what I've noticed, many people that aren't as familiar with Fulbright as we are tend to call everyone who wins the award (students included) "Fulbright Scholars". It sounds better than saying "Fulbright Student." Lol.  But yeah....Andrew isn't a Fulbright student yet!! Another round to go through. A means to an end. 

Good luck everyone!! I'm really rooting for you all, and even if I get bad news tonight I am excited for all of you and can't wait to troll this thread with anticipation of good news for fellows GradCafe-ers! You're all incredibly talented and passionate people or you wouldn't care so much. There is much more to look for, regardless of what happens today. Thanks for being so supportive - this has been a great place to vent/exchange ideas so far. GOOD LUCK!

MOTHER. I emailed my advisor from my undergrad, and this is what he said...

It is today.  You should hear late in the afternoon.  Since you did not apply through the school though, I did not get any early notification.

Frozen fingers are crossed.  JS

From what I've noticed, many people that aren't as familiar with Fulbright as we are tend to call everyone who wins the award (students included) "Fulbright Scholars". It sounds better than saying "Fulbright Student."

According to the State Department, this is perfectly appropriate:  http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/facts-and-common-questions:

Q:  "Is it appropriate for Fulbright Student Program participants to refer to themselves as "Fulbright scholars"? Do you have preferred terminology when referring to Fulbright participants?"

A:  "Because the Fulbright Program is a scholarship program, any participant may refer to himself or herself as a "Fulbright scholar," even if that participant did not receive a Fulbright Scholar Program grant. "Fulbrighter," or a more specific grant category (e.g., "Fulbright U.S. Student," "Fulbright Visiting Scholar," "Fulbright U.S. teacher," etc.), is the preferred terminology. Fulbright Program participants may also be referred to as "Fulbright grantees" or "Fulbright fellows" regardless of program affiliation. - See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/facts-and-common-questions#sthash.kGzopSlV.dpuf"

Question with the spreadsheet: when we find out our results for this round, will we be updating "recommended" and "not recommended"? I think people in years past wanted it to be "recommended" and "rejected" and it personally seems to be way too negative.

Question with the spreadsheet: when we find out our results for this round, will we be updating "recommended" and "not recommended"? I think people in years past wanted it to be "recommended" and "rejected" and it personally seems to be way too negative.

Let this be the year users put "Not Recommended" please. I agree, rejected has too much of a negative connotation. 

Let this be the year users put "Not Recommended" please. I agree, rejected has too much of a negative connotation. 

Last year, people put "Not Recommended" after the first round and "Rejected" after the second.

This is probably a dumb question, but for those of you affiliating with a university, obviously when the app was due in October no one had been accepted yet. Does it matter if in your application you said you were IN THE PROCESS OF applying to the school? If/when you get in, should you notify Fulbright?? 

This is probably a dumb question, but for those of you affiliating with a university, obviously when the app was due in October no one had been accepted yet. Does it matter if in your application you said you were IN THE PROCESS OF applying to the school? If/when you get in, should you notify Fulbright?? 

I'm not sure I see the reason to because you applied at-large. I don't think your school status matters in the next round.

Hey Catholic guilt is powerful stuff man, you cannot escape its grasps sometimes.

I have prayed about it and am ok with whatever the decision is personally, but it's having to tell my Fulbright cheerleaders that I dread. If nothing else, the process has revealed to me who has my back 100%, but I don't want to disappoint people.

I feel you on this.  I worry about disappointing my committee - one member used to be on the Fulbright committee part of the review for Canada (where I am applying) - and my FPA who has been amazing throughout this whole thing as well as the university that sponsored me.  They welcomed me with open arms and have helped me so much.  I even got a Christmas e-card from one of the people sponsoring me.  It's been an amazing, humbling experience.  That's what I will take away no matter what, I guess.

Fulbright_to_India, I am so sorry for the issues you have had.  What a bad situation.  However, just know that in some way something good will happen and it will all somehow work out.  I promise you that.  I was broken up with, got really ill, and entered severe depression my senior year of college while in the application process.  But really, it was the best thing.  The relationship was a bad one, I would have married the wrong person, and better things came about.  I got into a great program and have had amazing opportunities since landing here.  I will be keeping you in my thoughts today.

After the worst week of my life--nearly dying from a stroke from a bad reaction to a new medication and breaking up with my girlfriend the following day--it would be nice to receive some good news from Fulbright today. Encouraged by a close Hindu friend, I made an offering to Ganesha, the remover of obstacles. In the place of a proper statue, I downloaded a wallpaper image of Ganesha to my cellphone, placing it in the middle of the my coffee table turned makeshift altar. I lighted two candles and three sticks of incense. Before proceeding to chant a mantra in a language that I barely understand and to a god that I do not believe in, I placed a banana on my Fulbright folder, and kindly asked Ganesha or whatever universal being that might or might not exist to remove the obstacles in my life. I felt less anxious, but that was probably due to the 10 mg of Ambien in my system. After a hot bath and a head shaving, we are heading to the local Hindu temple for a morning puja.

Although I rarely contributed to this forum, reading it brought me a sense of relief, knowing that I wasn't alone in this (you would think I was describing a shared horrific experience or a substance abuse addiction). I can tell from the posts that all worked hard for the Fulbright. I will make an offering for all of us this morning. 

Good luck to all, 

John Langdon

Wow John! I am glad you are doing better. Thank you for the well wishes! I have my fingers crossed for all of us!

I had an interview in July with the university I affiliated with and they wrote in the letter that I was accepted under the contingency of being funded by Fulbright. I have read in previous threads that people face similar dilemmas and that Fulbright will accept/have accepted additional material and affiliation letters if you pass the first round. 

Anyone else glancing at their email count every 5 seconds? Seriously....

Come on, 1588! I WILL you to appear! GAH!!

Comeon1588.jpg

Yes. With a side of Yes. I'm just afraid that it will end up in my spam folder. You got a school in California?? I just graduate from UCI!

Anyone else glancing at their email count every 5 seconds? Seriously....

Come on, 1588! I WILL you to appear! GAH!!

Comeon1588.jpg

WOAH! I only have 11 unread messages! I hate having unread messages lingering in my inbox! But yes, I'm totally doing the same thing, alternating between hitting refresh on this board and my inbox. I should be lesson planning for tomorrow :wacko: