Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey hey I'm new to this boat, did anyone apply for the ETA program in Spain? I got told in January that my application got referred but like most of you I'm DYING to know when they tell us if we got the award or not! I feel like I'm stuck in limbo not knowing what to do...I hate how we have to wait so long to know the results :( ! In any case, any Spain ETA (hopeful) fulbright applicants out there??  :)

Hey hey I'm new to this boat, did anyone apply for the ETA program in Spain? I got told in January that my application got referred but like most of you I'm DYING to know when they tell us if we got the award or not! I feel like I'm stuck in limbo not knowing what to do...I hate how we have to wait so long to know the results :( ! In any case, any Spain ETA (hopeful) fulbright applicants out there??  :)

Yes! I am also a Spain ETA hopeful! Judging by when Spain applicants found out last year and in 2012, I assume we'll find out mid-April. Just out of curiosity, did you make your application location-specific? I guess what I mean is, did you express a desire to be specifically placed in either Madrid or Cantabria or did you leave it general?  

Yes! I am also a Spain ETA hopeful! Judging by when Spain applicants found out last year and in 2012, I assume we'll find out mid-April. Just out of curiosity, did you make your application location-specific? I guess what I mean is, did you express a desire to be specifically placed in either Madrid or Cantabria or did you leave it general?  

Been lurking for a while, so I figured I should contribute. Happy to see other Spain ETA candidates! I referenced both Madrid and Cantabria in my writing, something that probably helped but also something I have come to second guess, given I'd love to be in Madrid over Cantabria. So no, I didn't express a specific desire for one or the other necessarily. I've been wondering the same though, as to how much they take that into consideration. I suppose we'll know in the next month or so!

Edited by kp_jabalí

Been lurking for a while, so I figured I should contribute. Happy to see other Spain ETA candidates! I referenced both Madrid and Cantabria in my writing, something that probably helped but also something I have come to second guess, given I'd love to be in Madrid over Cantabria. So no, I didn't express a specific desire for one or the other necessarily. I've been wondering the same though, as to how much they take that into consideration. I suppose we'll know in the next month or so!

Hey both of you!!! No I didn't reference the area because my school advisor told me to be as flexible as possible. I'd prefer Madrid over Cantabria as well but both locations have their perks whether its to know more about the local culture and the mountains (cantabria) or the city life (madrid). I just wrote that I've been part of the model united nations at my uni and my project, which is what I focused on more. Honestly, I'm just wondering if the wage they give us will be enough to get around? I've contacted previous Spain ETA fulbrighters through the Spain ETA groups out there on Facebook ad they've said it's no problem at all...however I'd be going pretty much penniless since I support myself and all $$ I have is from Financial Aid..so once that's gone I have nothing :/ But right now I'm just trying to see if I get the program and then apply to grad school. What about both of you? 

I have a feeling that something like that must have happened...I thought it was super weird that a week had passed and I was still refreshing my email about every five minutes haha! Either way, I'm glad to finally know, it's a huge relief!

And thanks so much everyone, best of luck to those still waiting! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's acceptances as well :)

@Secret_Ninja, we definitely have to keep in touch, it'll be good to know another Fulbrighter there! I don't have any info yet on my placement, but I should be arriving August 11! 

I won't be in the country until October. I will spend the first two weeks on Java, near Jakarta and the rest of the time be in the jungles of NE Sulawesi. I think they might do group US Fulbrighter things some time so we will hopefully get a chance to meet!

Hey both of you!!! No I didn't reference the area because my school advisor told me to be as flexible as possible. I'd prefer Madrid over Cantabria as well but both locations have their perks whether its to know more about the local culture and the mountains (cantabria) or the city life (madrid). I just wrote that I've been part of the model united nations at my uni and my project, which is what I focused on more. Honestly, I'm just wondering if the wage they give us will be enough to get around? I've contacted previous Spain ETA fulbrighters through the Spain ETA groups out there on Facebook ad they've said it's no problem at all...however I'd be going pretty much penniless since I support myself and all $$ I have is from Financial Aid..so once that's gone I have nothing :/ But right now I'm just trying to see if I get the program and then apply to grad school. What about both of you? 

That's good to hear! I didn't preference an area either even though my FPA told me to. I guess I sort of took a risk in not listening to her, but hey-it's worked so far! It didn't say anywhere on the website that we should preference any particular region in our writing, so I wasn't too specific in my essays. I know for countries like Germany, they ask that you preference certain regions. Anyway, like you said, we will find out soon enough! 

I'm not too sure about the $$ situation, to be completely honest. I would assume they pay enough to help with housing and whatnot. I can tell you that Madrid will be slightly more expensive than Cantabria in terms of housing and food, so that's something to keep in mind should you receive a grant. Either way, you'll make it work, I'm sure! :) 

Regarding grad school, I applied for fall 2014. So far I haven't had much luck. I applied to masters programs in Hispanic linguistics. I've been wait listed at two schools and rejected from another and I am still waiting to hear back from a few more programs. I sort of just feel like I'm in limbo right now! Also I am currently teaching high school through the end of the school year but it's not a permanent position, so next year is COMPLETELY up in the air for me! Woooo! 

That's good to hear! I didn't preference an area either even though my FPA told me to. I guess I sort of took a risk in not listening to her, but hey-it's worked so far! It didn't say anywhere on the website that we should preference any particular region in our writing, so I wasn't too specific in my essays. I know for countries like Germany, they ask that you preference certain regions. Anyway, like you said, we will find out soon enough! 

I'm not too sure about the $$ situation, to be completely honest. I would assume they pay enough to help with housing and whatnot. I can tell you that Madrid will be slightly more expensive than Cantabria in terms of housing and food, so that's something to keep in mind should you receive a grant. Either way, you'll make it work, I'm sure! :)

Regarding grad school, I applied for fall 2014. So far I haven't had much luck. I applied to masters programs in Hispanic linguistics. I've been wait listed at two schools and rejected from another and I am still waiting to hear back from a few more programs. I sort of just feel like I'm in limbo right now! Also I am currently teaching high school through the end of the school year but it's not a permanent position, so next year is COMPLETELY up in the air for me! Woooo! 

Yeah I don't think you had to reference any place but it's really up to the applicant. I just decided to focus on writing about my experience teaching English and my project. I was so busy with the Fulbright app and doing my undergrad senior thesis that I was going crazy with studying for the GRE, so I simply decided to put it off for a year and then apply. I'm just stuck on whether or not I should apply to my masters first and then go to a PhD or go straight into a PhD program. I'm interested in border politics so I'd like to stay in San Diego to expand my current thesis, but then again I really don't want to do 10 more years of school..I'd rather do 7 instead of 10 lol. In any case I'll think about that later...

Looks like we are both on the same limbo boat...I absolutely HATE that we have been waiting since September to know what's up. I really don't understand why they need to torture us like this because we need to have a plan if things don't work out with the fulbright! I know the National Geographic fellowship was due a couple of weeks ago and they'll hear back in less time than us :/ !!!!! I was tempted of getting out of the ETA assignment to apply to the NatGeo one but I'm glad I didn't cuz I heard the NatGeo one was insane. I've actually never been to Spain so it would be cool indeed if I got it (all of us)! 

Looks like we are both on the same limbo boat...I absolutely HATE that we have been waiting since September to know what's up. I really don't understand why they need to torture us like this because we need to have a plan if things don't work out with the fulbright! I know the National Geographic fellowship was due a couple of weeks ago and they'll hear back in less time than us :/ !!!!! I was tempted of getting out of the ETA assignment to apply to the NatGeo one but I'm glad I didn't cuz I heard the NatGeo one was insane. I've actually never been to Spain so it would be cool indeed if I got it (all of us)! 

To be fair, they had 864 applicants for 5 spots versus for NatGeo and about 10,000 applications for research/ETA for well over 100 different countries. That just exponentially complicates things in terms of politics, budgets, time zones, and the number of people involved in a single decision.

To be fair, they had 864 applicants for 5 spots versus for NatGeo and about 10,000 applications for research/ETA for well over 100 different countries. That just exponentially complicates things in terms of politics, budgets, time zones, and the number of people involved in a single decision.

Whoa~~~~~! That's a lot for five spots! How did you find out the total?

Whoa~~~~~! That's a lot for five spots! How did you find out the total?

Fulbright I believed announced this via Twitter and I saw it again more recently on the gradcafe Fulbright NatGeo forum.

Well after looking at the notification dates for the 100th time, it looks like starting next week is when we historically get into the territory of at least 3-4 countries notifying a week. Even though we can't really develop "game day" plans like last time (since the news can come at any point), is anyone doing anything to prepare for it (e.g. stocking favorite ice cream in freezer...)?

Ice cream is constantly stocked in the freezer, and a healthy but not alcoholic amount of "libations." St. Patrick's Day prep, anyone? I also discovered learning how to play darts is a great stress reliever. You get to throw sharp things at inanimate objects. What better, nonviolent stress reliever? Yoga does nothing for me haha

Woah that's a lot of NATGEO and yeah I know there's limited people... But even college admissions make faster decisions and they get way more applications than 10,000 haha. It's just nerve-racking :/ but we can only hope we all get spots!

Woah that's a lot of NATGEO and yeah I know there's limited people... But even college admissions make faster decisions and they get way more applications than 10,000 haha. It's just nerve-racking :/ but we can only hope we all get spots!

I for one am glad that Fulbright doesn't make us take an arbitrary test like SAT or GRE in order to weed out the stack of applicants

I for one am glad that Fulbright doesn't make us take an arbitrary test like SAT or GRE in order to weed out the stack of applicants

I just need to know if I got the fulbright or not because I need to make plans for next semester so I'm not completely penniless once I graduate... :( I'm applying to grad school in the fall of 2014 so I need to start looking for job options in my area if I don't get it :(

I don't think a standardize test would be a good idea anyway if they are truly trying to get a broad spectrum of projects and applicants.

I will say I don't envy the Fulbright employees. That has to be a lot of pressure having to pick who to give thousands of dollars and a once in a lifetime opportunity, especially in this second round. I'm sure there is also some inter-country "office politics" involved between IIE/US Commission and the individuals commissions in the foreign countries between the types of students/projects the US wants to promote and what the foreign country is looking for.

Well after looking at the notification dates for the 100th time, it looks like starting next week is when we historically get into the territory of at least 3-4 countries notifying a week. Even though we can't really develop "game day" plans like last time (since the news can come at any point), is anyone doing anything to prepare for it (e.g. stocking favorite ice cream in freezer...)?

Does obsessively compulsively checking my email, twitter and the internet a million times a day for any shred of news count?? Hahaha

Nah, I actually am trying to use this terrible, anxiety-ridden time for a little bit of good. My CrossFit gym is doing a 6 week long nutritional and exercise challenge and I am currently in week 2. It's been pretty nice because it gives me something to work on and focus on (my full-time job is totally boring and my mind wanders to Fulbright ALL...DAY...LONG). Besides getting some money saved up for if I get the Fulbright, I also want to be fit and full of energy if I am there so I can travel and experience everything to the fullest!

I sound like some sort of cheesy commercial...haha...sorry for that....

Does obsessively compulsively checking my email, twitter and the internet a million times a day for any shred of news count?? Hahaha

Nah, I actually am trying to use this terrible, anxiety-ridden time for a little bit of good. My CrossFit gym is doing a 6 week long nutritional and exercise challenge and I am currently in week 2. It's been pretty nice because it gives me something to work on and focus on (my full-time job is totally boring and my mind wanders to Fulbright ALL...DAY...LONG). Besides getting some money saved up for if I get the Fulbright, I also want to be fit and full of energy if I am there so I can travel and experience everything to the fullest!

I sound like some sort of cheesy commercial...haha...sorry for that....

Same! I've been going to barre classes every day and running. It at least gets me away from the computer for a good 2 hour period so I can stop obsessively checking the internet. Although I have to admit, I still refresh my email on my phone several times on the treadmill...

I don't know how people who aren't in school handle applying for the Fulbright. If I didn't have school to distract myself, I would probably go crazy with anxiety.

I always strongly disliked and avoided Twitter until now Haha who/what did you follow? I can't find those stats Lol

Oh I don't have a Twitter account, so I just search Twitter for the tag Fulbright. I know it was some Fulbright commission, but not sure which one since they all have their own usernames.

Just remember everyone, that Fulbright CARES about us. It seems like the process takes forever, but dealing with each country's politics and regulations is no easy feat. I promise they are not sitting around laughing maniacally. 

It IS tough to wait, but find things to occupy your mind and remember that no matter what the decision,every cloud has a silver lining.  B)

Just remember everyone, that Fulbright CARES about us. It seems like the process takes forever, but dealing with each country's politics and regulations is no easy feat. I promise they are not sitting around laughing maniacally. 

It IS tough to wait, but find things to occupy your mind and remember that no matter what the decision,every cloud has a silver lining.  B)

Well said :)

Yeah, the application seemed kind of vague in that it left it open for us to decide what direction to take regarding the two locations in our essays. I'm also curious about the supplementary project, because I barely referenced a proposed project in my writing, so I wonder how much weight it holds. I mainly focused on Spain itself, my interest in languages and any resume experiences that I found pertinent to the essays.

I also applied for the Spanish Ministry English language assistantship, which I'm guessing some other potential fulbrighters also applied to, as well as a couple other teaching posts in Spain. So all my money's on Spain for the upcoming year! I suppose I'll (begrudgingly) have to look into grad school after that, since I probably shouldn't prolong real life forever. Something along the lines of international relations/development or public policy is my guess as to what I'll look into. 

It's good to be reminded of this. Governance is general is complicated, add in other countries and of course it'll be stressful.