Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I found it on the Paedagogischer Austauschdienst Website (http://www.kmk-pad.org/programme/ausl-fsa.html#c5639) in German. It says "Generally, all Foreign Language Teaching Assistants can apply for a second year in this program" but a third year is not possible. Plus I know a few people who did it. There are also blogs online where new Fulbrighters meet second-year TAs. Anyway, it is a possibility, but it is up to the PAD. Hope that helps.

Oh, and by the way, I was wrong about the site placement. I just received my acceptance to USTA and immediately found out (tentatively) my placement in Tirol. I doubt Germany can beat that.

Tirol? Oh man, I am JEALOUS. Congrats :) 

Hey there Overworkedta (awesome handle!), thank you so much for sharing the news that you got funded, even though it wasn't a Fulbright. Congratulations!!! That was an important message for me to hear: Fulbright is NOT the only fish in the sea! There are LOTS of ways to get funding, if one has a great attitude (like you!), is persistent, and wants it badly enough.

GnosisExchange, it is we who should thank you for your upbeat posts and encouraging spirit!

Darce, it's totally OK to be a lurker here! Like Olioliwoo said, you're not intruding! We're all here to encourage and help one another. I also don't have a country interview, but I would say have your project down pat in a way that can be shared in under 30 seconds and be enthusiastic, and be yourself! I'm sure you'll do great!

Hey Vodnik, thanks for telling us what your FPA said. I'm sure the sequester has affected the Fulbright program and that's my guess as to why the notifications are "wonky" this year. We'll all keep hanging in there.

Socal14, Congratulations!!! I'm on the west coast too (Washington), but wasn't up at 6:00 AM. I'm glad YOU were, though, to receive the great news!

Hi there, Smartey Martey!  It's Africa's month as well! I'm still looking for someone out there who also has been recommended for a research grant in Sub Saharen Africa. Anyone?? Anyone??

Varlet Sirin, I'm so sorry. I highly recommend applying again next year if you can. And as Overworkedta pointed out, perhaps there are other sources of funding you can tap into.

Mrgold, Coongratulations!!!

Well, I suppose that sooner or later I should stop reading this thread and do some statistics homework (UGH!). But then again, anything to keep my miind off my in box! :rolleyes:

Awww....

This comment made me crack one giant smile! Thank you Mozartgirl53. :D

Does anybody applying for Germany ETA (or who's done it in the past) know if they tell you where you are placed upon acceptance? If so, do they just tell you the Bundesland, or the school, too? If not, how long do you wait?

Thanks!

Edited by sammydubbs

Sometimes i wonder what this forum would be like if it turned into a reality tv show lol

On another note, I think I've reached a point where I have no energy left to be anxious for Fulbright. Whatever happens, happens. we have no choice but to accept the outcome anyway.

Sometimes i wonder what this forum would be like if it turned into a reality tv show lol

On another note, I think I've reached a point where I have no energy left to be anxious for Fulbright. Whatever happens, happens. we have no choice but to accept the outcome anyway.

Very wise :) 

I got your point, I just don't necessarily agree. I am not an undergrad, I am a post-graduate professional who strongly controls my online image and am very aware of the issues surrounding online privacy. My use of "heathen" was colloquial. We obviously have different opinions, but while I don't monitor this forum daily or read every single post, I have not seen anything that "shocked" me with its inappropriateness. 

I am not trying to start some kind of argument, but I just disagree. Sorry. 

This may sound crazy, but I sign my real name when I post on the Internet. This takes the guesswork out for anyone trying to research me. I never (well, almost never) say anything on the Net I would be ashamed to have a prospective employer or anyone else see. I also have nothing in my home I wouldn't want my children to find if I die. Being paranoid has its good points! :)

That's funny! And I bet people would watch it; people like watching other people's misery, heh heh.

Welcome to the alternate club aka Limbo. I imagine it to look something like this:

Sb-129.jpg

Although it can vary widely, based on the spreadsheet, it looks like most alternates that then get accepted have found out 1 to 2 months after notifications went out

Hey Yanders and Olioliwoo, big congratulations on being selected as alternates!!  I really hope you both get in, and I will send positive vibes your way!

This may sound crazy, but I sign my real name when I post on the Internet. This takes the guesswork out for anyone trying to research me. I never (well, almost never) say anything on the Net I would be ashamed to have a prospective employer or anyone else see. I also have nothing in my home I wouldn't want my children to find if I die. Being paranoid has its good points! :)

I don't post anything particularly bad on the internet, but I try to make sure none of my friends post stupid things on their public facebooks or on blogs about me. Once a livejournal from high school popped up that my friend had mentioned me, and I asked her to take that down. Just stuff like that.

I'm not sure if I got everyone (probably not) but I would like to thank you all for your kind words. It's nice to see such a wonderful group of people come together and support each other like this. As you all know, applying for a Fulbright is not an easy process!

Nothinger, I am debating looking into other programs to teach English there, but grad school is also an option at this point, so I'll have to make a decision soon. 

Varlet Sirin, I haven't decided yet. It's possible! I need to reevaluate my application and determine what needs to be tweaked, but tonight is not the night for that. :-) I don't know if this is true, but I fear the fact that I studied abroad in Spain during undergrad might have affected the final outcome of my application. I have heard that Fulbright isn't too fond of choosing people who have already spent a significant amount of time in the host country, but that didn't stop me from applying the first time! So...we'll see! 

Yeloquehay, I'm truly sorry. While I understand why they don't tell people why they weren't selected, I wish we'd at least get some hints. Even people who have gotten Fulbrights really don't know why they were selected over other applicants. The thought I hang onto is that a lot of very well qualified people don't get chosen. How they choose amongst those recommended likely is quite subjective. They probably didn't think your application had anything wrong with it; more likely they went on just some very subjective feelings. As others have said, being recommended means you're the cream of the crop. Every single one of us had excellent applications; that's why we made it this far. Wether you apply again or go the grad school route, or something else, hold your head up high! You did this amazing thing and you should be proud! :)

I don't post anything particularly bad on the internet, but I try to make sure none of my friends post stupid things on their public facebooks or on blogs about me. Once a livejournal from high school popped up that my friend had mentioned me, and I asked her to take that down. Just stuff like that.

Agreed, lalakey. I also feel strongly that if I were rejected by a potential employer based on something stupid or insensitive I did or said years ago or even my current political views, which I don't attempt to hide, then I really would not want to work for that organization. The advent of the Internet has made it so anything dumb a person says or does lives forever. And we are human; we ALL have done and said stupid things in our lives. A wise employer will know that and be forgiving. If they don't, I don't want to work for them.

Hey -- a little confused. The Notification Dates (not 2014-2015, but all years) spreadsheet has been updated, but now a lot of the 13-14 dates seem off. I'm positive the Germany ETA didn't send notifications May 16 last year, for example. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edited by kmshrader

Just as a heads up, in GMail you can set it up such that it forwards a text message to your phone if you receive an email with certain words in it... like, say, "Fulbright"...  B)

Complicaits, how do you do that? I couldn't find it.

Hey -- a little confused. The Notification Dates (not 2014-2015, but all years) spreadsheet has been updated, but now a lot of the 13-14 dates seem off. I'm positive the Germany ETA didn't send notifications May 16 last year, for example. Does anyone know what's going on?

Hey there! I mentioned this too in an earlier post. There's time stamps on the notification comparison sheet too and the data for my country Laos is deleted. A lot of countries seem to be at a later and incorrect last year notification date compared to before.

Edited by starlettmimi

Same here--accepted for Turkey ETA!

I just started lurking to see who got in where and decided to create an account to chat with other Turkey ETAs. I'm excited but really nervous! And very surprised they got back to us so early! An alumna from my university did a Turkey ETA three years ago and they didn't notify her until June.

Turkish ETA here too! Any details on this account Turkish ETA account to chat with each other? I think its a great plan :)

Hey there! I mentioned this too in an earlier post. There's time stamps on the notification comparison sheet too and the data for my country Laos is deleted. A lot of countries seem to be at a later and incorrect last year notification date compared to before.

Yeah, it looks like someone may have gotten a little out of hand again with the editing/updating - just a heads up that I am going to revert it back to the earliest version that is not completely out of whack.  I'll let y'all know what the time on that version is in case anyone has entered new information since then, they will need to re-enter it.

Edit: OK, everything should be back to normal.  The time of the last revision that contained the correct notifications for 13/14 as well as Laos' information was yesterday, April 1 at 1:23 PM.  If you've added anything since then, please add it again, thanks!

Edited by raymondnorth

Hey Yanders and Olioliwoo, big congratulations on being selected as alternates!!  I really hope you both get in, and I will send positive vibes your way!

Thank you Mozartgirl53 ^__^ Positive vibes always appreciated.

Yeah, it looks like someone may have gotten a little out of hand again with the editing/updating - just a heads up that I am going to revert it back to the earliest version that is not completely out of whack.  I'll let y'all know what the time on that version is in case anyone has entered new information since then, they will need to re-enter it.

Edit: OK, everything should be back to normal.  The time of the last revision that contained the correct notifications for 13/14 as well as Laos' information was yesterday, April 1 at 1:23 PM.  If you've added anything since then, please add it again, thanks!

Thank you for fixing this! I recommend that anyone that wants to run a sorting search or play around with the data to download the spreadsheet into excel and not do it in the google doc. This data is precious, we should handle it with care.

Edited by olioliwoo

Does anybody applying for Germany ETA (or who's done it in the past) know if they tell you where you are placed upon acceptance? If so, do they just tell you the Bundesland, or the school, too? If not, how long do you wait?

Thanks!

Based on last year, it will probably be at least a month (if not longer) between when you get your initial acceptance and when you find out your placement. It was handled differently by each Bundesland. In my case, I received two letters at the end of May -- one telling me I was in Hessen, and the other telling me my actual placement. They weren't sent the same day so I think it was just happenstance that the arrived at the same time. A handful of people found out via e-mail, I believe, but for the most part everything came through snail mail and some people didn't know their actual cities until July :/

I found it on the Paedagogischer Austauschdienst Website (http://www.kmk-pad.org/programme/ausl-fsa.html#c5639) in German. It says "Generally, all Foreign Language Teaching Assistants can apply for a second year in this program" but a third year is not possible. Plus I know a few people who did it. There are also blogs online where new Fulbrighters meet second-year TAs. Anyway, it is a possibility, but it is up to the PAD. Hope that helps.

Oh, and by the way, I was wrong about the site placement. I just received my acceptance to USTA and immediately found out (tentatively) my placement in Tirol. I doubt Germany can beat that.

Yes, you can apply for a second year, though my understanding is that it's fairly competitive -- far fewer slots than there are interested people. Not sure of specific numbers, but I'm guessing there aren't more than 15 returnees this year.