Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I've applied three times. I'm just going to cry in a corner now.

Oh no :( !!!!!!!!!!!! My heart is broken!! I know that you and oiliou (I can't remember her username) are the two people who have posted on here the most and seem to want it so bad !!! :( Well, I hope one way or another you can achieve your dream :( Maybe you should try doing the research one instead and maybe you will have a shot? Augh, that sucks man. But seriously you should pat yourself in the back for reaching this far....not many people get through the first stage !

Edited by japaniia

Sweetheart - and I call you that because over the last 6 months I have come to realize that you truly are a sweetheart - you have been accepted into YALE.  Apply for a Fulbright research grant while in grad school. You are going to go far and do great things. It's ok to be upset, but remember that this decision is not the full measure of who you are. 

I was rooting for you. 

Sweetheart - and I call you that because over the last 6 months I have come to realize that you truly are a sweetheart - you have been accepted into YALE.  Apply for a Fulbright research grant while in grad school. You are going to go far and do great things. It's ok to be upset, but remember that this decision is not the full measure of who you are. 

I was rooting for you. 

That's exactly what I was going to say. Yale is a HUGE deal, which is why I think you could do the research grant instead. It could be life's way of saying  "you;re not meant for the ETA pos., you are meant for research!" 

My goodness.... you already know that I was rooting for you. It is a shame that they didn't choose you....Personally, I think you have many great opportunities ahead. I'm sure everything feels like shit now and that is hard to accept right now.

Edited by SmarteyMartey

I've only posted once before, but I just wanted to let you know that I was rooting for you, too! I found out this morning that I got an ETA to Thailand and I was really hoping that I would get to meet you over there! I'm so sorry that you weren't selected, but I'm inspired by your persistence and I'm sure that things will work out!

That's exactly what I was going to say. Yale is a HUGE deal, which is why I think you could do the research grant instead. It could be life's way of saying  "you;re not meant for the ETA pos., you are meant for research!" 

Have to agree...

Hi all, I had a really good conversation with Jonathan Akeley on the phone today. I called about Taiwan ETA but this might apply to other East Asia countries too.

Basically he told me there is no definite deadlines for any program. He obviously doesn't want to torture us and will send out notifications as soon as he has approval. Unfortunately he doesn't have any information about when he will receive approvals from the State department. While it's possible to hear tomorrow, it's unlikely.

When I pushed him to give me a possible date, he said perhaps at the end of next week but that's no guarantee. As far as the mythologized April 15th deadline is concerned, he laughed good naturedly and asked me who gave me all this date. He is not really aware they are trying to get notifications out by the 15th. For him, March 15 is a better deadline-- he wants us to know as early as possible.

This isn't really good news for those of us waiting desperately for news. But I feel a little comforted from talking to him. He seems genuinely understanding of my nerves. I am going to try not worry for a few weeks.

Thank you very much for sharing this. 

Thank you for the kind words. I'm generally a very positive and resilient person, so I'm sure I'll be able to move on in a very optimistic way. I was just very disappointed at how hard work does not always equal great opportunities. But I genuinely believe that you folks are some of the best people out there, and that you get the grants! :D

Three time is apparently not the charm. I'm actually going to apply again, but this time I'm going to go for the research grant. I think japaniia is right; maybe I'm not meant for the ETA program, and I was destined for something else...

Non-select. :(

Oh my god, kbui, I'm so sorry.

I have so much faith in the wonderful things you'll do, though. And at Yale! You're amazing, don't forget it.

I emailed Mr.Coffman at MACEE on behalf of the Malaysian ETA applicants and here is his response:

"Dear Matthew,

I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately, we at MACEE can’t do anything at this point.  We have made our selection of grantees, but it is up to IIE in NY to notify all applicants first.  We have to wait until they make the notification.  We have asked them when this will happen.  They told us that it will be “any day now.”  Please be patient for a little longer.

Regards,

James Coffman"

So hopefully it should be very soon!

Hi Maliyazi and jrk2115,

Thanks so much, Maliyzi, for sharing that info about SubSaharan Africa! Our little SSA thegradcafe.com group is waiting anxiously for any word! I very much hope it's the 15th-- my birthday is the 16th and getting a Fulbright for my birthday would be awesome! Of course, it could also be a rather sad birthday if it goes the other way. After you talk to Jermaine, I think it's probably my turn to bother them next, depending on what you learn. It's been hard to sit here as many other countries/regions have sent out notifications, knowing that we are most likely going to be the last to hear! Could the 15th be the magical number??Here's wishing!

Hi Maliyazi, jkr2114, and Mozartgirl53!

I, too, applied for a grant to SSA. Called the program officer earlier this week and received the same info as Maliyazi. Planning to call or email tomorrow. I'll update you all after. Crossing my fingers (and toes) that we'll hear soon.

I, too, applied for a grant to SSA. Called the program officer earlier this week and received the same info as Maliyazi. Planning to call or email tomorrow. I'll update you all after. Crossing my fingers (and toes) that we'll hear soon.

Sounds great.  Thanks.  I hope we find out soon! 

Hi all, I had a really good conversation with Jonathan Akeley on the phone today. I called about Taiwan ETA but this might apply to other East Asia countries too.

Basically he told me there is no definite deadlines for any program. He obviously doesn't want to torture us and will send out notifications as soon as he has approval. Unfortunately he doesn't have any information about when he will receive approvals from the State department. While it's possible to hear tomorrow, it's unlikely.

When I pushed him to give me a possible date, he said perhaps at the end of next week but that's no guarantee. As far as the mythologized April 15th deadline is concerned, he laughed good naturedly and asked me who gave me all this date. He is not really aware they are trying to get notifications out by the 15th. For him, March 15 is a better deadline-- he wants us to know as early as possible.

This isn't really good news for those of us waiting desperately for news. But I feel a little comforted from talking to him. He seems genuinely understanding of my nerves. I am going to try not worry for a few weeks.

Thank you for letting us know! BUT WHYYYYYY I cannot wait any longer.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm generally a very positive and resilient person, so I'm sure I'll be able to move on in a very optimistic way. I was just very disappointed at how hard work does not always equal great opportunities. But I genuinely believe that you folks are some of the best people out there, and that you get the grants! :D

Three time is apparently not the charm. I'm actually going to apply again, but this time I'm going to go for the research grant. I think japaniia is right; maybe I'm not meant for the ETA program, and I was destined for something else...

加油!!!

I emailed Mr.Coffman at MACEE on behalf of the Malaysian ETA applicants and here is his response:

"Dear Matthew,

I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately, we at MACEE can’t do anything at this point.  We have made our selection of grantees, but it is up to IIE in NY to notify all applicants first.  We have to wait until they make the notification.  We have asked them when this will happen.  They told us that it will be “any day now.”  Please be patient for a little longer.

Regards,

James Coffman"

So hopefully it should be very soon!

Thank you so much for emailing and letting us know this! Crossing fingers for very very soon :)

Thank you for the kind words. I'm generally a very positive and resilient person, so I'm sure I'll be able to move on in a very optimistic way. I was just very disappointed at how hard work does not always equal great opportunities. But I genuinely believe that you folks are some of the best people out there, and that you get the grants! :D

Hi kbui, I'm so terribly sad for you! I know you really wanted this. I don't know if you want to hear this again, but you're a BOREN ALUM and got into the YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH!! You are already a superstar! Once you're in grad school I bet you'll encounter many, many topics that would be perfect for a study/ research grant. I would humbly suggest that you not put yourself through this again next year, but wait a year or two until you've got some grad school under your belt and have an amazing project to propose. Public Health is a perennial favorite with Fulbright, so I know you're gonna do this! I wish you all the best in the awesome future I KNOW is ahead of you.

Hi all my fellow SSA-era, Meshia, thanks!! We'll all be looking forward to your report tomorrow! I'm really starting to get freaked out now, so I hope we learn SOMETHING, anything tangible! Meshia, what is your country and project?

Non-select. :(

Like many people on this forum, I am really shocked by this outcome. I really wanted you to get this!

I agree with japaniia, that maybe this means you are suppose to try for a research grant or to take another opportunity that still is in the works as far as presenting itself to you. I also agree with Mozartgirl53, however, with the suggestion of maybe giving yourself a year off if you are going to go for a Fulbright research grant. It's been grueling enough going through this once, I can't imagine 3 times!

No matter what path you decide to go on, remember that you are a superstar! As a fellow public health grad student, I am so happy that someone as tenacious and dedicated as you is on "Team Public Health" :) And as cheesy and trite as this may sound, I know that this is not going to stop you from doing some amazing things.

Sending you a big internet hug and lots of cookies/ice cream/whatever "sometimes food" you enjoy the most!

Edited by olioliwoo

We all know this but so, so, so, so many random political  and social factors go into any sort of award decision-making-- even moreso something like Fulbright. I am crushed that someone with your qualifications and passion didn't make it, kbui, but (as hard and impossible-feeling as it may be) do not take this as a "my hard work doesn't pay off, so there's something wrong with me." 

You have a chest full of medals that many people on here (myself amongst them) couldn't dream to achieve, and you are clearly going to be a shining star wherever you go because of your disposition, work ethic, passion, and obvious acumen. 

Cry it out, feel ALL the feels, but know you have a community of people here who think you are the bomb, and remember to choose to listen to them rather than the anxieteers in your head. Many hugs and tonnes of gratitude for the work you've put in on making this thread a welcoming place to ex-lurkers like me. 

Today would be SUCH a perfect day to send out some notifications, don't you all agree?? ;)

Congratulations and Condolences to everyone who has received word in the last couple of days.